Trip Ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
I am planning a trip to Cal from Fargo area ND to cal and return up the coast to Oregon across back to ND. We usually pick 2 or 4 lane roads from 1 place to another and hope we get an interesting trip(Interstates are all the same), I thought since the folks here are from all over maybe we could get some good tips, we have 4 months to put it together.
thanks in advance

bdiscount@yahoo.com
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
I am planning a trip to Cal from Fargo area ND to cal and return up the coast to Oregon across back to ND. We usually pick 2 or 4 lane roads from 1 place to another and hope we get an interesting trip(Interstates are all the same), I thought since the folks here are from all over maybe we could get some good tips, we have 4 months to put it together.
thanks in advance

bdiscount@yahoo.com
Man oh man have YOU lucked out here!!!

We have made many trips back n forth from Winnipeg, Manitoba to our home here in B.C and up and down the coast from Northern Washington to South California and back using The I-5 corridor and the much more scenic coastal highway. PLEASE tell me more about you trip plans and preferred routes you'd like to use.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh wow, there's so much to see and do here in Oregon...where would we start.

Of course the absolute best is if you could delay your trip a couple of months and join the other nearly 100 (already) molded trailer enthusiasts at the Oregon Gathering...who knows when you might come this way again.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I am planning a trip to Cal from Fargo area ND to cal and return up the coast to Oregon across back to ND.
What part of California are you planning on seeing? That would help give you some road ideas.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have just completed a trip on the coast in No. Cal thru the redwoods. Even in the winter with some really crumby weather, it is spectacular. The Oregon coast is even more spectacular. The 101 is a good road to travel, despite a few windy spots and once you hit Oregon, there is a State or county park every few miles it seems.

See the thread in Campout Reports for a few ideas. There was so many options there, I wish I could have done them all!

For So. Cal, definately visit the San Bernardino Mountains. Quite a few forest service camprgrounds within a relatively small area.

Stay out of the desert areas in summer.. they are killer for heat (Duh!)

The 395 on the east side of the sierras also offers some spectacular scenery, especially in the north, but it esentially has no access to the west except on it's most northern and southern ends. There is that Donner pass thing, but no one is real hungry to go there.

(I am in my room already!)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Oh wow, there's so much to see and do here in Oregon...where would we start.

Of course the absolute best is if you could delay your trip a couple of months and join the other nearly 100 (already) molded trailer enthusiasts at the Oregon Gathering...who knows when you might come this way again.

We make the farm shows in Jul,Aug, and sept as my better half plays the accordion at them with othe players
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Man oh man have YOU lucked out here!!!

We have made many trips back n forth from Winnipeg, Manitoba to our home here in B.C and up and down the coast from Northern Washington to South California and back using The I-5 corridor and the much more scenic coastal highway. PLEASE tell me more about you trip plans and preferred routes you'd like to use.

I haven't picked the route yet as I was hoping I would get some suggestions here
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
What part of California are you planning on seeing? That would help give you some road ideas.
Sothern Cal, Orange county and area I have a son and friends there I use to live there.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
I have just completed a trip on the coast in No. Cal thru the redwoods. Even in the winter with some really crumby weather, it is spectacular. The Oregon coast is even more spectacular. The 101 is a good road to travel, despite a few windy spots and once you hit Oregon, there is a State or county park every few miles it seems.

See the thread in Campout Reports for a few ideas. There was so many options there, I wish I could have done them all!

For So. Cal, definately visit the San Bernardino Mountains. Quite a few forest service camprgrounds within a relatively small area.

Stay out of the desert areas in summer.. they are killer for heat (Duh!)

The 395 on the east side of the sierras also offers some spectacular scenery, especially in the north, but it esentially has no access to the west except on it's most northern and southern ends. There is that Donner pass thing, but no one is real hungry to go there.

(I am in my room already!)
I lived i Cal 42 years and have traveled thru both east and west side but the wife hasn't so I thought I would got up the coast to Oregon then I will have to go east so I don't want to go thru montana, as I use the rest areas mostly and they just passed a law or ordinance.