Trip planning program - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

Name: kc
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
I'm mostly old school I google the mileage from point a to point B then divide by 45 miles an hour to side how many days I might want to drive it in. And I checked the map for towns are areas of interest then Google cool things to do in that area if it's something that might require a reservation I make reservations. And we use GPS combined with maps on our phones for daily driving . However your question and similar questions leading me to believe I may need to get a Garman design for travelers or campers seems like I may be missing something well I rambled enough good luck and good travels.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Garmin GPS a good thing.

I don't plan the trip. Never have and don't intend to start. However, I do use my GPS a lot while traveling. Our days on the road usually go something like this. At first light we're ready to go and drive for a couple hours, ask Garmin when for a listing of place I can get breakfast. Pick someplace from that list and tell Garmin to take me. Needing fuel I again ask Garmin where fuel and be purchased then tell Garmin to take me to that location. Both cases if something I would prefer along the I ignore Garmin.
I drive until I'm tired, sometimes 11:00pm+ usually earlier. Anticipating that tired point I start looking a hour or two earlier. I don't need a campground for a few hours sleep, gas stations, truck stops, rest areas, and of course Walmart.
I figure this on driving late. I awake and alert, I'm sitting in a comfortable chair, the iPod is playing some pleasant music and have great conversations with my wife, secretary, and navigator.
Most of the time we have no idea where we'll land for a few days. When get someplace we don't know how long we'll stay, minimum 2 night maximum 40 nights so far.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
We like to decide how far we want to travel for our final destination, and then it's fun to figure out different ways to get there and what we might want to see along the way. I mostly use Google maps to plan and search but also use Rand McNally tripmaker to create the overall trip with general stops along the way.
Rand McNally will also let you see what points of interest are along the route.
We found a lighthouse in Nebraska that way so we want to drive by that on our trip to Alaska this year.
Some of the places promise to be crowded so we will normally make reservations for those, so that's one of the benefits of trip planning, since you can get an idea of how long you'll take to get to those places.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We also are not too big on planning out our whole trip. . When we went to Quincy CA for the Northern California Rally last fall , we took the mileage to Quincy and divided by 250 miles per day and figured 8 days to get there. We then left home about 3 week before the start of the rally.
For the majority of our trips if you take the total mileage on the road divided by the number of days on the road ,we average about 125 miles per day.
To me planning a trip down to the last detail reminds me too much of being at work.
Thank God for retirement.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
My trip planning consists of picking a place (or places) I want to go, and then I look at a hard copy Rand McNally atlas to determine the best route. I have but do not ask the Garmin anything because due to extensive experience, it is affectionately named "Stupid."
Rarely make reservations unless I am going to a rally. Depending on my destination and the availability of interesting stops along the way, I will drive anywhere between 30 minutes and 10 hours. I just won't drive after dark. When the afternoon shadows start to lengthen, I have the "navigator" use one of the campsite apps and find us a place to overnight, whether it be a campground, Walmart, or Crackerbarrel, etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We also are not too big on planning out our whole trip. . When we went to Quincy CA for the Northern California Rally last fall ,
And he brought good beer from Wisconsin too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And he brought good beer from Wisconsin too
Only for one very special young lady !!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13'
Mississippi
Trip planning program

Thanks so much for all the tips and suggestions! I have been busy cleaning and preparing the Scamp 13' camper for the trip. We have tried several of the programs and some others. This forum is really helpful.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Don't forget Roadside America! Online and does have an app. Great place to find unusual places to visit!

Mon
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
ALWAYS have a paper map/atlas and a paper copy of campgrounds such as Woodalls or AAA. I can't tell you the number of times our GPS let us down!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We always plan our trips with both the road-GPS; and the hand-held GPS pre-loaded with available geocaches along our route. We've 'camped and geocached' that way for the past 10 years, finding over 3500 'caches', from New Zealand, to Russia, in 17 different countries; and 'at home' in 48 states and 9 provinces. We've currently planned our next road trip to find the cache (#GC1V4PY) at 71 degrees North in Lappland, Norway, this June. 'Cachin' 'n 'Campin' go well together.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #26

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I've always been intrigued by geo-caching. Could you start a new forum topic let us know how to start?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #27

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Scamp on order!
South Carolina
I have been using Furkot for planning my trip to pick up my Scamp. It has a learning curve, but it's great once you get the hang of it. Very detailed.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I've always been intrigued by geo-caching. Could you start a new forum topic let us know how to start?
It's very simple... Go to geocaching.com and create a free account. There's lot of good information about how get started. I started in 2001.