Truck Camper vs Egg - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I camped with a Bigfoot truck camper and it was fine except that anytime you needed to go someplace you needed to pack everything up or remove the camper from the truck. This for me was the big downside and reason for purchasing a trailer instead.

The truck camper had remote control hydraulic jack stands which made it pretty easy to get off the truck but I held my breath when it had to get it back on as it was a tight fit to the truck. It also made me nervous if it was left sitting on only its jack stands when in public parks.... never know what someone might decide to do if you were not around.

It was a full size camper so it was pretty comfortable - it had a bigger bed than my Scamp as well as a full dinette so it was a bit more comfortable than my 16' Scamp but it required an equally as big truck to use it - much higher gas consumption on long hauls than my set up with the Scamp.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #16

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Thank you everyone for helping me get back on track with a focus on a fiberglass travel trailer! I now believe this would be the best way for me to go regarding my needs. It will give me a wide range of economical travel options besides eggs known for lasting a long time.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
My parents had a popup truck camper for years. One downside- last pickup my dad bought would not fit the camper.

But for travel it was great. They did an around-the country trip and also a couple to Alaska, and if you aren't staying long in one campground, they're great. No hitching up, no trouble backing in, etc. Better off-road than a trailer. I do not know how they managed all their gear in one (especially a popup) but they did.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jared,
How in the world did you get those kayaks inside the 5th wheel? The back window?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Nope, right through the door. They have to go up into the bunk to get in, but then you can't get the second one in. The first goes up into the bunk, then down on the floor, under the table. Then the second kayak goes up on the top bunk, and you put the front of it on the left side of the bunk, and the back of it all the way to the right. Then the second kayak can be pulled out from under the table, and put on top of that one. Then I straighten them out, and strap them down. I can load both kayaks and the bike and have them strapped in, in under 15 minutes.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
About the only real advantage I can see for a "slide-in" is the ability to tow something, like a boat or dirt bikes, or race stuff.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Yup but you have to REALLY watch that as well. Most trucks do not have the capacity to haul a camper and a boat! They have road side checks on Vancouver Island outside of popular fishing areas each summer and check for that - know lots of folks who have had to give up one or the other or get themselves a REALLY big truck to get enough capacity which may or may not even be available depending on the size of the boat.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup but you have to REALLY watch that as well. Most trucks do not have the capacity to haul a camper and a boat! They have road side checks on Vancouver Island outside of popular fishing areas each summer and check for that - know lots of folks who have had to give up one or the other or get themselves a REALLY big truck to get enough capacity which may or may not even be available depending on the size of the boat.
Thank God for the 49th parallel!( at least for now)
"MOST" seems a bit of an exaggeration, but fear always trumps common sense when making new rules...
I was thinking , like bass boats, not actual ships!
Guess that makes "slide-ins" totally useless then.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #23

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
No one said anything about you don't need a tag (tax) for the slide in or it is insured by the truck insurance!
I like truck camper myself but with a TT I can still use my truck as a truck.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #24

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Going solo, I'd just look for an old van and turn it into a DIY camper. I have an AWD Astro van that I did a few slight mods for overnighting. It is the perfect vehicle for me when I'm doing a weekend road trip by myself. It sleeps fine, has aux 12v system and extra battery, fan and computer power, ample storage, comfortable sleeping, goes about anywhere. If it's more than just me, our Casita is the ticket.

If you already have the truck then a camper makes more sense (I hapen to have both). I have been considering selling my van and simply putting a small camper shell on my truck. But I don't think it would be as handy as my van.

If you are looking for bang for buck, might look into Capri truck campers. They are really popular with the rodeo guys that have to tow a trailer too. .: Capri Campers :: Models :.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
No one said anything about you don't need a tag (tax) for the slide in or it is insured by the truck insurance!
I like truck camper myself but with a TT I can still use my truck as a truck.
Good point! I use that same point when arguing for a Travel trailer over a motorhome.Trailer tags are a very small fraction of the cost of Motorhome tags, and insurance is not required.
Is there a title for the Slide-in?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #26

Florida
Depends on the state. But over all , Yes.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Thank God for the 49th parallel!( at least for now)
"MOST" seems a bit of an exaggeration, but fear always trumps common sense when making new rules...
I was thinking , like bass boats, not actual ships!
Guess that makes "slide-ins" totally useless then.
Actually "MOST" covers it pretty well in these parts which is why it has become a lucrative way for the BC Government to collect money from the fines handed out at check points. . For example a slide in small 1500 series Bigfoot fiberglass camper on a half ton p/u (without a boat behind it) can be well over the trucks specs. The 1500 Series Bigfoot camper for example weighs in at 2061 lbs dry the larger version of Bigfoot weighs in at around 2850 dry. Whats the pay load of the popular 1/2 ton Toyota Tacoma for example? about 1300lbs ? Yup if you have a 1 ton truck (which most p/u are not) you could have a real nice Bigfoot camper but once you add a boat of any size to it you are getting into a *maybe* category.

Also Bass boats do not work out well in the open waters of the Pacific neither does a small light engine - so the boats being hauled normally weigh far more than a bass boat

The check points also often include conservation, fisheries and Ministry of Transport folks all working together in one location - in addition to checking your vehicle's weight they get to check how many fish you actually caught as well as what you used to catch them!

As far as fear trumping common sense goes there have been a number of serious accidents in BC involving p/u trucks with campers and the trucks inability to stop quickly due to being overloaded. I dont really care if someone whats to risk their own neck by pushing the limits but sadly I dont know of any roads/highways were you dont have to share with other people thus putting them at risk as well.

Vehicle manufactures are clear on their weight capacities - its clearly spelled out in the manuals of most tugs. Its just that some people dont like to read it or weigh their trailers, campers or boats to know what they actually weigh.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #28

Florida
"Vehicle manufactures are clear on their weight capacities"

I agree with you Carol. But some people think those specs and warnings are for others or to protect the company. I know my truck can pull more weight than what the specs say but I won't do it. Wish more people would understand the warnings are more than just to protect the company!

Good call Carol!