Truck caps - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Name: Dee
Trailer: In the market
Very helpful information. Thank you. And thank you for pics. Glenn, I didn't know that about the canoe racks.

Anyone familiar with ranch caps?

DeeFiamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
El cheapo ($75), very, very used aluminum topper here. I had to plug some holes in it with JB Weld (stuff is great) but other than new weather stripping between it and the box and an extra key that has been it. It does have the side opening "windoors" and I WOULD NOT be without them. But then I have an older pickup that you can still actually reach over the side of the box on. PreScamp I built a platform over the wheel wells and tossed a double mattress under it. We slept back there many nights and other than no room for the dog and me banging the top every time I turned over it was fine. Now I would not be without the semi-secure and weather tight room it provides. I have no issues with seeing out of it as most of the sides are glass anyway.

A nice tonneau might do as well for my purposes but on the front hinged ones I don't like only having access from the back. I saw one on a truck bed the other day somewhere that had a parallel-hinge-bar arrangement. The cover appeared to lift more or less straight up or maybe up and back but stayed parallel to the bed. That might work for me but would still block some of the side access but not all. Maybe on my next truck, if somebody will build one you don't have to be 7' tall to reach over the bed sides.. Anybody get the feeling I think the bed sides on the new trucks are to tall?

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:12 AM   #17
Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
I bought a cap so my dog would be safe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1466061126.164678.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	96362

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Life would be a million times better if there were Pinatas strategically placed throughout the day.
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #18
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Truck caps

When I bought my Swiss Cap Cover it had sliders with screens on the sides but I wanted Windoors instead.

I called Swiss Top and they said "Come on Down!" and I did ,they are in Patriot Indiana which is not all that far from me,at least no further than where I often camp so…….

The 1 guy at the factory that day and I removed the windows and installed the Windoors in about an hour and I was on my way back home!

The top has been a lot more rugged and reliable than I thought it would be and I have had it on 2 different trucks so far too.

I also like the rear French Doors better than a flip up window and tail gate or single door a lot of them use and this top is great to work out of.

I also have several slide outs in the bed to bring the stuff to me.

Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote