TRUCK SIZE? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hello:

I have been looking long and hard at a lighter 5wh to use when I find a buyer for my MH. I have a 1999 Ford F250 SuperDuty XLT4x4 and know of the concerns on truck height that I ran into on the Scamp 19 5Wh. I'll need the factory "lift" kit for the Scamp and must order with 14" tires.

Can one of you folks knowledgible on the Escape tell me the largest tow truck being used or the height requirements for the escape? I know that the Escape is standard with 15" tires and has a different (standard) hitch point. Beyond that I know nothing

TIA for any pointers.

bill
billpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Since I think there is only one Escape 5th wheel traveling the world and its being pulled by a Tundra I think the only thing we know is a Tundra works. Reace, the owner of Escape, answers email. He's the best person to ask. If any mods have to be made to work with your truck, he'd be the one to get involved. If you click on his name in one of his posts here, there is an email link for him. You can also contact him via his website: http://www.escapetrailer.com
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And Bill, when you get a definitive answer from Reace could you please post back in this topic and give us all a heads up, please. I have an Escape 5.0 in my future and sure would like to know the answer. I'll be buying a new truck at the same time, so it's important.

THANKS!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Now Donna... how are you going to attach an Escape fiver to your an-ti-cew Chevy panel?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

It's a FORD Roger

Nah, the 5th wheel is a future trailer...4 years, 3 months and 9 days in the future. But I believe in planning ahead.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna...Iam with you only I have 7yrs less a day
Plan A... Escape 5.0/Ranger 4ltr. V6
Plan B... See plan A
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi: Donna...Iam with you only I have 7yrs less a day
It's gonna go fast Alf, I started the count down at 10 years and although some days crawl by...time itself is flying! As soon as I hit retirement, I'm gonna find a way to put the BRAKES on it
Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
It's gonna go fast Alf, I started the count down at 10 years and although some days crawl by...time itself is flying! As soon as I hit retirement, I'm gonna find a way to put the BRAKES on it
I've been retired for 6 years and have found the time goes faster, if you find the formula would you post it for your ole (spelled rite) fiberglass buddies
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
I've been retired for 6 years and have found the time goes faster, if you find the formula would you post it for your ole (spelled rite) fiberglass buddies
Bill the clocking stopping (or slowing) formula actually comes from my parents. It starts with living each moment of everyday to it's fullest. As comfortable as a recliner might be, time is slipping by to make memories while sitting on ones bottom. There is a new memory to be made around every corner of the road. Seek and ye shall find. Live simply. Big houses and Big yards make Big work....unless you have Big cash to pay to have those assets taken care of. This seems to be working for my folks. My dad is 93 y/o and my mom 83 y/o. They're both more vibrant that a lot of 60 year olds I know.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Since I think there is only one Escape 5th wheel traveling the world and its being pulled by a Tundra I think the only thing we know is a Tundra works. Reace, the owner of Escape, answers email. He's the best person to ask. If any mods have to be made to work with your truck, he'd be the one to get involved. If you click on his name in one of his posts here, there is an email link for him. You can also contact him via his website: http://www.escapetrailer.com
Well, un fortunately it's been a week with no reply.... do wish there was a normal email way to contact him?
bill
Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
265 more days (working days) for me and an Escape IS in my plans as soon as I can re-convince Rease of the necessity to do a 'Mini- Escape'
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Quote:
Well, un fortunately it's been a week with no reply.... do wish there was a normal email way to contact him?
bill
Hi Bill...

I have tried a few times to return your email but it continually gets returned as undeliverable.

In response to your question....

I can lift the axle an additional 1 1/2" which would put the nose section approx 56" off the ground with the trailer sitting level. Your measurement from the ground to the top of your box rails should be 52-53" at the most. There are many units travelling down the road with the nose a bit higher due to the issues you are running into. It is not a bad thing, only it is not very comfortable to use unless you unhook.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello:

I have been looking long and hard at a lighter 5wh to use when I find a buyer for my MH. I have a 1999 Ford F250 SuperDuty XLT4x4 and know of the concerns on truck height that I ran into on the Scamp 19 5Wh. I'll need the factory "lift" kit for the Scamp and must order with 14" tires.

Can one of you folks knowledgible on the Escape tell me the largest tow truck being used or the height requirements for the escape? I know that the Escape is standard with 15" tires and has a different (standard) hitch point. Beyond that I know nothing

TIA for any pointers.

bill
FURTHER INFORMATION: I have located a possible alternative for those of us with larger tow vehicles to be able to still tow either the Scamp 5wheel or the Escape. Go here: http://www.hitch-buddy.com/default.aspx and see what you think. A bit pricey but taking into consideration what we'd have to pay for trailer mods etc.... well, see what you think.

bill
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Bill.....
That is really one good idea for towing a gooseneck and looks like it will really work good with all the features it has...... I read alot about it and can't figure out if the tow dolly's wheels turn in unison with the TV or stay straight all the time..... trying to figure if the tow dolly would skip when makeing a tight turn.... drove semi's 30 years and some have a spread axle which when making a tight turn it would drag one of the axles sideways across the road when making a very tight turn and i have even pulled one off the rims when the weight was too heavy..... but they sure do seem to have a good track record so i will have to read a little more.... by the way i saved it in my favorite places....very interesting concept.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #15

Joe:

Run the .wmv file and it shows a larger wagon towing a 5er and it makes a turn with the dolly wheels following the turn of the tow vehicle.

bill
Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Joe and Bill,

Great idea guys. It was discussed here about a year ago: Possible to convert Scamp 5th wheel...

I was set to buy the materials to build a lighter-weight setup than this specifically for a Scamp last year. After I had it all figured out on paper, and had gone to order the materials, I checked the Iowa vehicle law. Here's what it says...

Quote:
four wheeled trailers
321.310 Towing four -wheeled trailers .
1. A motor vehicle shall not tow a four-wheeled trailer with a steering axle, or more than one trailer or semitrailer, or both in combination. However, this section does not apply to a motor home, multipurpose vehicle, motor truck, truck tractor or road tractor nor to a farm tractor towing a four -wheeled trailer , nor to a farm tractor or motor vehicle towing implements of husbandry, nor to a wagon box trailer used by a farmer in transporting produce, farm products or supplies hauled to and from market.
2. Any four -wheeled trailer towed by a truck tractor or road tractor shall be registered under the semitrailer provisions of section 321.122 , provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not be applicable to motor vehicles drawing wagon box trailers used by a farmer in transporting produce, farm products or supplies hauled to and from market.
A dolly of this type effectively turns your fifth wheel into a four-wheeled trailer that is illegal to operate, at least where I live. If it's illegal here, it may be in other states as well.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
However, this section does not apply to a motor home...
So you just gotta buy a Motor Home to tow your Scamp 5er with this dolly.