truth about leaving an egg on a Sams Club or Wallmart lot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I've heard stories about staying overnight on WallMart and Sam's Club parking lots without a fee. What is the truth about this? My real question is....would you leave it overnight unattended (with our car attached to it) while we stayed nearby in my sister's house (who won't allow RVs parked there). Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can't say anything about Sams Club, but you can stay at a great number of Wallmart Parking Lots. It pays to ask the Store if you can stay there. Its only courtesy to ask. As for leaving my Tow vehical and Trailer with out me being in it overnight, I personally would not do that.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Many Wal-Marts welcome overnight "guests" to stay in their parking lots with campers or RVs. In fact, I think the ones that don't allow it are mainly (all?) those wherein the municipality does not allow them to welcome campers.

Campers are grateful for this, and as such try to leave a light footprint (or should anyway, IMO). So, no setting up tables and chairs, try not to use slide outs, no grilling, park way out at the edge, etc. Also, it's courteous to do some shopping if you need to (admittedly I don't typically do this when I'm camping there, but I do shop at Wal-Mart on a regular basis; also I do not go in to use the bathrooms if I'm not shopping).

I would be a bit uncomfortable about leaving a rig there overnight unattended. Not so much in worry over the rig (depending on area of course), but more because Wal-Mart's hospitality is so appreciated by the RV-ing world, and I would not want to do anything to jeopardize that. I'm not sure that leaving a rig there for storage might not do that. (Granted, physically it is no different than if you were in the rig, but still - maybe they would need you to move it, or what if someone stole it or broke in and then they found out you weren't there - or were worried that you had been absconded with or etc.)

But I empathize: Isn't it a pain how many areas do not allow RV parking? Say, one thing to check: Some places that do not allow RV parking will allow it for less than 24 hours.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think it would be inproper to park your vehicle and not stay in it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
thanks, I just needed a second opinion.....I'm calling an Rv campground in the area and pay them a fee to just park it there overnight...thanks. Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I agree with Darwin, it should be used for overnight camping... not overnight storage. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
My brother lives in Indianapolis in one of those neighborhoods that do not allow RV parking.
But, We have parked different RVs in his drive for up to a week at a time and no one has complained. I think, in most cases, visitors are OK, but the homeowner can't keep one sitting in the drive (or on the property) on a on-going basis.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
You may want to have your sister check into what are the parking limitations. In some communiities it can be a maximum of 24 hrs and in other up to 5 days.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've been to many friends homes where RV parking is not allowed but as an overnight visitor it was OK. Just for 1 night though.

Have your sister look into your 1 night stay. It's probably no big deal. Just don't come back a week later.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: lloyd cicetti... The truth is that would be to tempting for some people. I wouldn't leave it even with a boot/clamp on a wheel. There are a lot of flat beds out there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
This may be unique, or it may give you some ideas. In Port Townsend, here in WA, there is a park and ride lot owned by the local transit company. They have always (at least the last I checked for someone) allowed people - RVs, big rig trucks, etc. to stay over night if they ask first. Sometimes it is someone sleeping in their rig, sometimes it is just leaving the rig. Because they know, then the transit company and the local police keep an eye out and know if something is amiss. It is also a well lit lot.

Maybe there is a municipal park and ride that you would be allowed to leave a trailer in, if they allow cars over night, and many do, I would think they'd allow a small trailer.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Maybe it is the sister who does not allow TT in her drive or in front of her house?........while we stayed nearby in my sister's house (who won't allow RVs parked there).
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper