Try pulling your scamp with this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
The new GM-Segway

Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	19170

Name:	3n13k63m7ZZZZZZZZZ94682de7eac4d11129a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	19169

Name:	bilde.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	19168

More information here
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/gm-...e-segway-77640/

Name:   1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  13.5 KB
Attached Images

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft

not much of a side impact beam is there?
Steve Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Fantastic!
Innovative!
Hurray!

Note to fellow engineering folks - Note the same control engineering that went into the original Segway. Truly remarkable!
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Is this some sort of late April Fool's joke?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
NO this is the real thing. GM is going to make these. This was also on the news last night.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
If GM makes this, it might be the fatal last straw. Besides, How are teenagers going to make out when they have no room to manouver?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
i just seen this on the TODAY show.. looks pretty cool
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have a Segway and it is a pretty cool machine. It is hig on technonlogy and it works. I can easilly ride 5 miles into town and back on a charge (5 miles each way).

This prodict has possibility but cost and its ability to operate utside the electronic network will be a factor in its sales. The one-person segway has never caught on, primarily due to cost, I think.

Picture yourself camping on the outskirts of the WalMart parking lot and riding this up to the store.

AND, I don't think it will tow a Scamp
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

I think it's a great idea. I am all for alternative modes of transportation.

However, here in FL it's illegal to operate a motor vehicle (which would include those two stroke or whatever, motorized skateboards or scooters, or the electric ones either) on the sidewalk.

It's illegal to operate a motorized vehicle on the street without insurance. You can't insure a motorized scooter.

I wonder can these be insured for the street?

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I think it's a great idea. I am all for alternative modes of transportation.

However, here in FL it's illegal to operate a motor vehicle (which would include those two stroke or whatever, motorized skateboards or scooters, or the electric ones either) on the sidewalk.

It's illegal to operate a motorized vehicle on the street without insurance. You can't insure a motorized scooter.

I wonder can these be insured for the street?

Forunately for us in WA, they allow motorized vehicles on the sidewalk al long as they cannot go more than 15 mph. That includes the Segway (12), motorized sccoters and other "personal transportation" devices. I think that is true in most states but each has its own wrinkles. I do have insurance on the Segway. The PUMA is in a class of its own and states will have to deal with htat reality.

Dave
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
they stole this from toyota... toyota has a way cooler one. i think its called the i chair. http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-ga...y-won-t-eat-you its way more advanced than the gm segway. and toyota has the engineers to actually build a quality product.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gea...hair_199770.htm the only thing im concerned about is rain?
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
My first thought is "This is for people who are too lazy to walk or ride!?!"

And it doesn't look safe.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
BUTT, Butt, butt..... whares the AIR BAG(s) at???
Attached Images

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #14

safe, airbags, baaa it looks like a blast to me. and those segways, ive seen some great spills on those. they will probly never allow the toyota in the states. i would buy one in a heartbeat if it had a way to keep the rain off.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
they stole this from toyota... toyota has a way cooler one. i think its called the i chair. http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-ga...y-won-t-eat-you its way more advanced than the gm segway. and toyota has the engineers to actually build a quality product.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gea...hair_199770.htm the only thing im concerned about is rain?
The technology behind the Segway is not only unique but revolutionary. Look at it more closely and you will find a very unstable platform that is tamed by cutting edge control engineering. Imagine trying to balance a pencil on the tip of your fingertip and you'll get an idea of the complexity and difficulty of what makes it special. The mentioned Toyota vehicle is already stable by the addition of the third wheel. Although interesting, it's not nearly as complex or special.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
safe, airbags, baaa it looks like a blast to me. and those segways, ive seen some great spills on those. they will probly never allow the toyota in the states. i would buy one in a heartbeat if it had a way to keep the rain off.
ROTFLMBO!!!!
You MUST live in Northern California, cause we all know it NEVER rains in California, LOL!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I wouldn't try to PULL anything with it.
What I'd want is a way to attach it to a hitch receiver on the back of the trailer.
This would be great for when you are in "C" loop at the Oregon Gathering.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #18

Actually, it will be way too heavy for that.I put a receiver on the back of my Casita hoping to carry my Segway back there (100-125#). After I tried it, I decided it was affecting handling and put it back into the PU bed. I will use the receiver on the Casita for bicycles.

You are right, though. It is perfect for riding the loops and striking up conversation.

BTW, I will have mine at the Washington gathering in June.

Dave
Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
The technology behind the Segway is not only unique but revolutionary. Look at it more closely and you will find a very unstable platform that is tamed by cutting edge control engineering. Imagine trying to balance a pencil on the tip of your fingertip and you'll get an idea of the complexity and difficulty of what makes it special. The mentioned Toyota vehicle is already stable by the addition of the third wheel. Although interesting, it's not nearly as complex or special.

id rather ride something that is statically stable than something that uses tons of code and programming to keep it stable. what do you think happens when you have an electrical malfunction and your stability goes out... you probably eat it hard... 99% of the time the simplest engineering is the best engineering. the segway is cool but why take bad stability and make it work when you can have good stability and make it better.. very similar to the 3 Wheeler craze in the late 80 early 90. yea they were cool but the quad won in the long run due to static stability.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #20

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I saw this thing on TV the other day. What a waste of time and effort. An insane amount of computing power (and weight) just so you can put two wheels next to each other?!? Here's a novel idea - if you put the two wheels in-line instead, the vehicle will be inherently stable (at least when moving). That allows you to dump all the excess power requirements to the point that you can make a really lightweight and inexpensive people-powered version. I suggest we call it the "bicycle".

Seriously though - if you're willing to travel on 2 wheels why not just buy a small 50cc scooter? The one's that have been out for years will outperform this monstrosity, get better milage, cost a tiny fraction of the price AND have a longer range.

Fellow on another forum described it thusly:
"And people wonder why they're looking for bailout money..."

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp