Trying to get the DVR to work away from home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Here is what I want to do. I have Direct TV satellite service at home. One of the receivers we have is a DVR. Got lots of programs taped (saved) on the DVR but don't have much 'spare' time to watch them. So I would like to watch them while we're away on one of our long weekend trips. Since all the programs are saved on the DVR, I shouldn't need the satellite, just a TV connected to the DVR to watch the saved programs.. Seems logical to me.

Called Direct TV tech support not much help there. Spoke to my neighbor the Engineer ...... well he thought my idea should work since the programs are located on the DVR's hard drive. He brought to the house a cable that, on both ends, has three 'connectors' which are white, yellow and red in color. Disconnected the satellite cables that go into the DVR. Connected the 'White, yellow & Red' cable into the DVR with the other end going into the TV. When I pushed the 'list' button on the DVR remote I saw the listing for the saved programs. I was able to watch what I taped and no satellite programming.

Now that we're at Howard Prairie Lake, OR ........... we can't get it to work????

So what arte we doing wrong??? Any thoughts??

Anyone else watching their DVR away from home without the satellite???

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Anyone else watching their DVR away from home without the satellite???
Anne:

The method we use is this.
1. we record the programs on our PVR (the cable TV equivalent to what you have on your satellite setup)
2. we transfer the ones we want to watch to DVD using a DVD recorder
3. we watch the programs on our laptop computer while we are camping

This works nicely.

Brian
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul
Hi Anne,
While I am not a subscriber to Direct TV or Dish I have several older friends who have the service(s) and I assist them in getting their units to work. It is my understanding that in order for the DVR to function it needs to be hooked up to its satellite receiver. This is a "protection" against the units being stolen and resold. Sort of an "ET call home" if it can't call home (via its satelite receiver) it won't work.

I'm sure you are aware the programs are broadcast encripted so that you are not able to remove the HD or use a removable drive and play the files on your computer. Personally I will not participate as a subscriber to the whole cable dish satellite thing. I am strictly an OTA sort of guy, receiving "free" TV and recording, editing, transmogrifying and burning to disk via both computer or a stand-alone box. Much easier to carry a handfull of disks that will play on almost any machine with a DVD drive.

Hope this helps in understanding why you are not having any luck getting the box to work away from the satellite receiver. However, as I am always willing to be corrrected, if someone comes up with a way to make your DVR play please post back.
Bests,
David
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Anne:

I believe David is correct that the files on the DVR are saved in a proprietary format, however I have had almost no difficulty in recording from our PVR to a DVD recorder. Occasionally a movie is broadcast with some anti-copying protection, but this has been rare.

I connect the PVR to the DVD recorder with an S video cable and audio cables, play the recorded program while at the same time recording to the DVD recorder.

There does not seem to be a way right now of connecting the two devices with HDMI cable, which means that you lose some picture quality in making the copy, but it is quite acceptable quality nevertheless.

You may not be satisfied with the results in trying to copy a program broadcast in high definition since there are formatting issues. If the same program is also broadcast in normal digital format the copy seems to be okay.

Brian
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #5

Hi Brian & David;

Here is what I discovered. "Somehow" I figure out what I had to do, to get the DVR to work ....... except I wasn't sure 'how' I did' it.

But most important, we watched our programs last night. We were very happy. Turned the unit off ... then on and still everything works.

Had to empty the tanks today. Secured the Casita. Unplugged everything ....... and when we returned .... no DVR programming. Took me about an hour but here is 'how to set up the DVR' for remote watching.

DVR setting for remote watching
  • Connect the 'Tri color cable' (white, yellow & red) between the Direct TV DVR and the TV.
  • Power on TV and then to setting 'AV'
  • Power on DVR
  • Push red 'reset' button .... allow system to recycle. Could take 30 minutes.
  • On the Remote press 'Menu' when available.
  • Enter at 'Parental, Favorite, ....'
  • Goto to 'Setup' and DVR will look for 'Transporter settings' (does not matter if input consists of 'zeros'. When finished arrow down to 'done'.
  • Brings up a screen saying: 'Receiving Satellite Info' 0% Complete
  • On Remote press 'Exit' then press 'List' ..... and you will see your saved programs listing.
  • Happy DVR watching.
................ If you turn off the DVR, the next time the unit will remember your setting. BUT ....... if you unplug the unit the hard drive will go back to its default setting and you have to go through your 'remote location setup' again.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
There is a tool for the iPad, iphone and iPod called air video that you could use, setting up your home pc as a simple server you can view all your recordings from anywhere if you have access to wireless - it's about 2 bucks.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
There is a tool for the iPad, iphone and iPod called air video that you could use, setting up your home pc as a simple server you can view all your recordings from anywhere if you have access to wireless - it's about 2 bucks.
I like simple ... ... will look into 'air video'

Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Anne, I hope this link helps. I use the app and it works as advertised...good luck, let us know your experience.

- Yes, the app works on the iPad too.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/remote-access.html
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

Today was our last day at Howard Prairie Lake and the DVR setting for remote watching is working just fine. No other equipment or downloads needed. Since the temps were low in the evening we got some DVR watching in.