TT for a car enthusiast - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

By the way the towing limit for the Honda CRV is listed at 4400 lbs in France, interesting in itself. Our trailer weighs 2600 pounds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #30
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitrailer View Post
A 135i laughs at that Porche Cayman
I believe you Mike. We have two bimmers in our extended family. The Z3 is nothing to write home about but my son in law's Z5M was a rocket. So much technology really comes through in the drive, handling, and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
bmw 018.jpg  

Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
This would work nicely - and keep it all in the family so to speak - a German Eriba Puck

1971 Eriba Puck / Built In Germany

A friend of mine has a new 3 series diesel wagon and a couple of small sailboats - his dealer said they can supply the European hitch for his car. His previous car was a Mercedes wagon and had to buy a Euro version hitch for it directly from Germany and it wasn't easy to find someone willing to sell it to him. It bolted right in once he got it but it was difficult to find.

The Puck weighs about 750 pounds - your BMW would tow it with no problems - plus you can stand up in it once you pop up the roof.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
I gotta think towing a travel trailer behind your Bimmer is going to take the fun out of those country roads.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #33
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I have to disagree Larry. As one who tows with a high performance sport sedan towing a trailer is quite satisfying. As you can see in this vid even a VW Golf has amazing control and stability in a tight cornering event.
I'm not saying to drive irresponsibly but they are fun to drive and you don't need to keep the rig in a straight line as you would, like, say a big 5er on the back of a pickup.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #34

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
May I suggest that we have a sticky for the never ending discussion of tow ratings and whether or not to follow them.

True, we need to caution newbies about paying attention to their owners manual as regards tow ratings, and of course we should always recommend prudence in interpretation and use of such specs.

However, for the newbie, rehashing our unresolved differences on tow ratings just confuses the issue and does little to resolve the concerns of the OP.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I believe you Mike. We have two bimmers in our extended family. The Z3 is nothing to write home about but my son in law's Z5M was a rocket. So much technology really comes through in the drive, handling, and performance.
The Zs look pretty cool. We are eloping in two weeks and renting a z4. Will be my first experience in a Z. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #36

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
This would work nicely - and keep it all in the family so to speak - a German Eriba Puck

1971 Eriba Puck / Built In Germany

A friend of mine has a new 3 series diesel wagon and a couple of small sailboats - his dealer said they can supply the European hitch for his car. His previous car was a Mercedes wagon and had to buy a Euro version hitch for it directly from Germany and it wasn't easy to find someone willing to sell it to him. It bolted right in once he got it but it was difficult to find.

The Puck weighs about 750 pounds - your BMW would tow it with no problems - plus you can stand up in it once you pop up the roof.
What a cool Craig find! Houston is a long way from Chicago and I'd check it out if I was closer. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #37

Illinois
Here's a post from the BMW 1 series forum I belong to. He had an interesting angle from Uhaul's towing limit for the 135i.
I freely admit I understand near nothing about towing. I don't endorse or reject this view, it's merely one that I thought it was one worth sharing with y'all.

"The issue with a tow rating for our BMW cars is that BMW doesn't give them a tow rating. It would be best to stay within both the rating of the car and the hitch. But no rating for our cars.

Another source of some guidance is to look at what U-Haul will rent us. It seems to be based upon the hitch. With a 2000 lb hitch, they will rent you a trailer that will carry 2000-the weight of the trailer. They care about liability so this is a data point.

When you are towing, you have to worry about starting and stopping. My 128i has more hp and torque than my primary tow vehicle. So it should be able to pull things better. But it has smaller tires, it weighs less, and it's drivetrain is probably not as sturdy. It's brakes are great for a car but will they stop a heavy trailer?

If you do not exceed the Gross vehicle rating I am sure you would be OK - trade the trailer for a full load of people and luggage. But that won't be much of a trailer. If you want to tow more than that, you might need to think about brakes on the trailer. If you did that, you should be OK - but it's up to you.

It is clearly safer to get a vehicle rated to tow. Like a X3 or X5. If I had to, I would tow a little utility trailer with my 128i but I would keep the weight low, more like 1,000 than 2,000. I wouldn't tow a camping trailer at highway speeds. I think I could get it up to speed but you also have to handle it in the wind and stop it. Maybe a pop-up."
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #38

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
There's a Little Guy dealer in CA who also sells a Puck clone called the Meerkat. If you prefer brand new, this is the way to get a new "Puck".
California Teardrop Camper & Meerkat Trailer Dealer | Little Guy Trailers
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #39

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: UHaul

That basically means that they are passing knowing the maximum trailer towing weight limit responsibility/liability off to the customer, who may well know a lot less about towing that the peeps at UHaul.

However, I was told by my local U-Haul dealer that there is a corporate policy to not install hitches on vehicles without advising the customer of the actual towing limit for the vehicle when it is less than that of the hitch. They too understand the concepts of risk and liability. But that responsibility rests with the individual making the original sale.

Which suggests that if you rolled in with a Class-1 hitch already installed on a Smart Car that they would be happy to connect a trailer with a 2000 gross limit, without question's ?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
I searched for an Eriba Puck for almost 10 years and didn't find a reasonable priced one. I like the Meercat.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Eriba Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
I searched for an Eriba Puck for almost 10 years and didn't find a reasonable priced one. I like the Meercat.
The Eriba Puck is a cult RV for the air-cooled VW crowd, it was designed to be pulled by a 40HP Beetle. If you look at the current prices of air-cooled Transporters you will understand why an Eriba Puck will never be "reasonable" again.

I passed on one about 3 years ago here in Riverside for $3600 in fair condition, silly me.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #42

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
May I suggest that we have a sticky for the never ending discussion of tow ratings and whether or not to follow them.

True, we need to caution newbies about paying attention to their owners manual as regards tow ratings, and of course we should always recommend prudence in interpretation and use of such specs.

However, for the newbie, rehashing our unresolved differences on tow ratings just confuses the issue and does little to resolve the concerns of the OP.

Post of the year. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV