Tug Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
I have the chance to buy a VW Rabbit deisel pickup. My question is, would this be enough truck to pulll a 2800lb Quantum fifth wheel camper? I,m not worried about stoping as the trailer has brakes on all four wheels, but think I might be asking to much of a 1.6 L small engine. In an old add I found, there is a picture of a Rabbit pulling a Quantum but wonder if that is realistic. The VW has a 5 speed manule trans.
Any opinions would be welcome. I Know these engins can be equiped with a turbo but that would cost way to much to convert.

Thanks
Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I have the chance to buy a VW Rabbit deisel pickup. My question is, would this be enough truck to pulll a 2800lb Quantum fifth wheel camper? I,m not worried about stoping as the trailer has brakes on all four wheels, but think I might be asking to much of a 1.6 L small engine. In an old add I found, there is a picture of a Rabbit pulling a Quantum but wonder if that is realistic. The VW has a 5 speed manule trans.
Any opinions would be welcome. I Know these engins can be equiped with a turbo but that would cost way to much to convert.

Thanks
Ron
Hmmmm- - -I think it might be a tad underpowered..... If my memory serves me right , about 60 HP. I flogged one for about a year, and I was always shifting. (and this was empty...) Nice economical vehicle, tho, about 50-55 mpg. But, IMHO, not enuff power. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A Rabbit Pickup presumably has the same engine as a Rabbit hatchback of the same year... which I thought would be about 75 hp if it were the gas engine. I'm sure that would not be enough to keep most people happy. Unfortunately, the diesel is even worse - as I recall, they had about 45 hp, as Larry said. No missing zero there, not 450, 45.

Two bigger issues:
  • The drivetrain (engine, transmission, CV joints) probably isn't durable enough to handle the load; there should be a Gross Combined Weight Rating for the truck, which would need to be greater than the Rabbit weight plus Quantum weight, and I doubt it will be.
  • The rear axle is going to be quite heavily loaded; the hitch weight of the Quantaum will need to be less than the remaining payload capacity of the truck, and less than the remaining axle capacity after accounting for passengers and cargo (in the truck).
I think it would be a fascinating rig, and I can imagine a Rabbit Pickup with a light enough trailer, but I expect that the Quantum is just too much. Even if it would work reliably, it would probably get worse fuel economy than a tug with a larger engine not working so hard.

Trivia: As mentioned by Wikipedia, the Rabbit Pickup is still in production in South Africa (VW SA Pickup page), priced at about US$12,000. Their 1.6L diesel apparently put out 44 kW (59 hp) but I don't think the VW Rabbit Pickup here was anywhere near that. The current SA version could handle the hitch weight, but I doubt the drivetrain could take the abuse.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

Thanks guys
Thats kinda what I thought but just wanted to check just in case I under estamated a VW Rabbit. Sounds to me like it would make a better toad than a tug.
Ron
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The 1.6 NA diesel was good for 52 hp, the 1.5 was 48 hp IIRC. The turboed 1.6 was about 75 hp, but was never offered in the "Caddy", the name for the Rabbit pickup in countries other than the U.S.

Yeah, I'd skip that as a TV for a 5th wheel.

If you're looking to buy one, check the front strut towers very carefully for rust. The tailgate and taillights are also pretty hard to come by, so if it needs either of those, figure that into the offered price.

I'd really like to see the ad you found, though, if you could post it!
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #6

I'm not good at this, hope this comes out
Attached Thumbnails
Showcase_article_on_Quantum_1_.jpg  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ron, I hate to burst your bubble, but that's photo of a circa early 1980s vintage Toyota pickup. It is definitely NOT a Rabbit. The text is hard to read because of pixellation, but I think it says it's the 3/4 ton model Toyota. If that's the case then it's probably circa 1983-85 and had the 22RE at 105hp.

Name:   Showcase_article_on_Quantum_1_cut.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  32.6 KB

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #8

Good eye, Roger!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Roger, would that be the Toyota trucks that were made into class "C" motor homes around that time? ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Quote:
Roger, would that be the Toyota trucks that were made into class "C" motor homes around that time? ...Benny
And later, IIRC, though the concept of a "3/4 ton" toyota makes me nervous.

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Probably, my parents had one of those gutless wonders....it was absolutely scary to drive in the mountains, VW Bugs zoomed past us going up hills. However, in non-hill country it was a blast to camp in!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Yep... and Matt and Donna both called it right. They were top-heavy and scary!

Roger
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #13

I believe many of them were the subject of a lawsuit relating to failed rear axle bearings due to the fact that the axle was over capacity as they were delivered and before adding any "stuff" to the motorhome.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I assume this is the reason the Owner's Manual for my 2002 S-10 Extended Cab pick-up includes a warning 'not to be use for a truck bed mounted camper'.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I assume this is the reason the Owner's Manual for my 2002 S-10 Extended Cab pick-up includes a warning 'not to be use for a truck bed mounted camper'.
Yea, My 2004 Ford Ranger Edge Manual says the same thing in. Don't use slide in Campers.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Quote:
Yea, My 2004 Ford Ranger Edge Manual says the same thing in. Don't use slide in Campers.
If the Edge is the model I think it is, probably also has to do with the fiberglass bed.
Not sure I'd trust a composite bed for that purpose.

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
And later, IIRC, though the concept of a "3/4 ton" toyota makes me nervous.
Matt
Here's one on eBay right now... an '86 Sunrader!

Click image for larger version

Name:	toyota_moho.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6985

Roger
Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
... though the concept of a "3/4 ton" toyota makes me nervous.
Toyota also had a one-ton version. I can see expecting poor acceleration, but why be nervous? Even my minivan has over half a ton of payload.

Quote:
I believe many of them were the subject of a lawsuit relating to failed rear axle bearings due to the fact that the axle was over capacity as they were delivered and before adding any "stuff" to the motorhome.
That seems strange to me. The Toyota-based Class C I have looked at had different hubs front and rear, due to the use of a dual-wheel axle different from the standard truck. <strike>Also, this was a cab-and-chassis - to be overloaded without the RV attached, the rear axle capacity would need to be nearly nothing, much less than the single-rear-wheel pickup. I can believe there was a lawsuit, but I think there has also been some exaggeration.</strike>
Okay, I misread Lee's post and had to come back and cross out the above babble...see my later post.

Of course, the motorhomes may have been overloaded. Some seem to have an extraordinary rear weight bias, and I've even seen them with a load deck added on the back.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #19

Here's some info on the Toyota axle problems.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
I had one of theses for 9 happy years. Unfortunatly it was the aluninum sided model an it finally started to leak. It a little slow powered but so what? The entire rear axle was paid for by Toyota as a recall. Of course they quit making that design because an American "engineer" sold Toyota on the flaky concept.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote