Turn of Events - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Turn of Events

Well, due to unforseen circumstances it is with great sadness we have to cancel our Lil Snoozy.

Our daughter needs extensive orthodontic work involving extractions and braces. We just found out this is considered cosmetic and not covered by our DENTAL insurance. Her back molars dont even touch, 2 lower teeth are completely turned around and her 2 front canine teeth are up in her gumline. How on earth is this considered cosmetic???

Anyway, I am now searching for a solid 13 ft Egg, ready to go on a 5000 mile trip from FL to WY returning back to FL when school starts. I would prefer front bunks so we each have our own sleeping areas but if an Egg presented itself that only slept 3 my youngest could sleep with me and my oldest take the front sofa.

I dont need the Egg till the end of Jun or first part of July more than likely b/c my daughter has to have her dental work done before we leave. I'm hoping to have $4000 to spend but I wont know what the extractions/anesthesia will cost me until her appointment. I do know what the braces cost

I feel so bad for my daughter as she feels guilty and even said to cancel the braces/dental work. I told her her teeth are more important than a trailer and what kind of parent would I be if I put an RV ahead of her health. She still cried so I'm hoping if I can find a clean little Egg for our trip that will take some of the sting out. This would have been perfect! http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...stockbridge-mi

I have seen the Burro on ebay but it says it has leaks, the appliances dont work and it needs some TLC. I dont have the skills or funds to put into something right now. Not to mention it's a LOOOOOOOOOONG ways away. I figure I have about 6 weeks till I leave so if anybody is thinking of re-homing their beloved egg PM me. It will have lots of adventures and be loved dearly.

Thanks e'body.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Melissa -- If the teeth are so poorly positioned that chewing is impaired, then it isn't cosmetic, nor even dental -- it is a medical issue. I know that some years ago, I had to have extensive adjustments made to my bite, and the ortho guy I was working with sent a letter of medical necessity to the medical insurance company, and they covered it. Check it out...
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Thank you Paul, I will!! Now that you mention that, the Ortho did say she has to have a bite plate made as well to correct the misalignment so maybe that would be enough ammo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
Melissa -- If the teeth are so poorly positioned that chewing is impaired, then it isn't cosmetic, nor even dental -- it is a medical issue. I know that some years ago, I had to have extensive adjustments made to my bite, and the ortho guy I was working with sent a letter of medical necessity to the medical insurance company, and they covered it. Check it out...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Bummer!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
You know.....with so many things being read in the paper about abuse of children, children being left in cars while parents drink and what not......it sure is refreshing to see this post by you Melissa! Your children are blessed.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Lewis on this one. Trailers may be bought and trailers may be sold, but if you take care of teeth... they're (usually) yours forever. AND, good teeth often mean good health.

Good for you MOM in knowing your priorities!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If there is any way we can help out with advice let us know. I saw one guy here was a dentist just retired and there is another one on the escape forum. If you wanted to drop them a note about if there were any other alternatives on the table for you to advocate for your daughter to the insurance company. It might be worth a quick PM to them to ask. Thanks for keeping us posted. You never know what tricks of the trade are out there.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Maybe you can get your MD to add his/her two cents too. I had eyelid surgery over Xmas vacation. Normally cosmetic, but the opthamologist took pix and wrote up a report. Insurance covered it.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #9

Thank you for the compliments and the suggestions to approach the Insurance Co. with. I'd have never thought about using her Pediatrician for sure. I think we're still in shock between finding out about our insurance and having to cancel our trailer order all in one day. It's starting to sink in now and hopefully I'll begin thinking clearly again soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Aliner
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that you won't be able to get the Lil Snoozy, but 5 years down the line, you will be so glad that you made this choice.

We also are not going to be able to get the Lil Snoozy... or any new trailer. Finances just aren't panning out. So I'm planning to put a new floor in the Aliner and rebuild it when we get back from Florida in June.

Life happens.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The insurance companies use that cosmetic thing all the time, another fine example of something you pay for and then when you need it they whip out the fine print clause.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post

Please check out the above ....my grandson has been doing the SAME thing as you descrbed for your daughter ...his is cover under medical..ecept for braces and they are covered by both because it was not elective work...reather required for his over all health and speach.

Good Luck

Happy Camping...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Good for you. Family does indeed come first.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Yep, they are right---you need to fight this! Insurance company is hoping you will lay down and accept it---but this is NOT cosmetic! What b.s.!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I remember when I first had to start taking prilosec before it was OTC. I got this letter that the insurance company didn't want to pay for it because it wasn't necessary. Well, if I wanted to ever swalllow again. I am one of the fortunate now that can get by with generic.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Did Lil Snoozy give you any problem with backing out your agreement to purchase?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #17

No Jim, none whatsoever. They were very understanding and felt bad for our circumstances.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm glad you have your priorities right. Definitely try to get it classified as medically necessary, though. It's all about getting a procedure to fit into a pigeonhole of classification so that the insurance company's contract obligates them to cover it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just tossing out another idea out there. In my state, folks use carecredit.com to finance a big ole medical bills if you get stuck with it the cost. I have not looked on their site for florida providers. Take care.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #20

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have learned not to take the first thing an insurance company says very seriously. A customer of mine who works in a hospital says that nearly everything they submit to an insurance company is denied the first time. They submit the same thing again and it is approved. They are just hoping that something will be forgotten or lost before they can submit again.

A few years ago, I was involved in an accident that wasn't my fault. It was a hit and run, and the cops were able to track her down. The insurance company said my car was totaled and offered $2,800. I argued and showed them pictures and receipts that showed the beautiful condition of my car, even though it had a lot of miles on it. They came back with $4,400. I still argued, and went to my doctor about shoulder and neck pain. The doc said I didn't have to pay for the visit, because he could submit it to my car insurance company. A week later, my insurance company offered my car back and approx. $11,000.

Funny thing is that I oh asked for $8,000, which was the repair estimate.