Turning a Picture the Right Way Round - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Turning a Picture the Right Way Round

When I sent a message with photo, the photo was upside down.
How do you turn it around?
Thanks
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Door #1: retake the picture in landscape mode with the home button on the right.

Door #2: download and run the picture through your photo editing software and repost from your computer.

Door #3: stand on your head in front of the screen...

Seriously, it's a recent problem of incompatibility between the forum software and certain newer mobile devices. You're not alone!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Jon is correct. The phone adds metadata to the photo file, so it knows how to display the photo on the phone regardless of the orientation you used to take the photo.

When you upload it to the forum, that metadata is stripped away, so the forum displays it in it's native orientation - it doesn't have instructions to do otherwise. It's not really a software incompatibility, but a lack of orientation data.

The easiest way to make sure the photos appear right side up on the forum is to always take them in landscape mode, with the shutter to the right.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Curious, Robert... it's a recent problem that started within the last year or so. Before that there were no issues with mobile photo uploads. I am not a techie, but it sure looks like something changed in mobile software that the forum software isn't able to recognize. I can post pictures from my older iPhone4 in either landscape or portrait orientation without issue. My phone will no longer accept updates, so I am running an older version of iOS. Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Arkansas
Registry
Jon, I guess that would mean the previous forum software somehow included a feature that read the metadata from older phones with older versions of iOS. And it apparently still does, but not for newer phones where iOS may have changed. The metadata is in the photos, but obviously the forum isn't reading it.

So yeah, sometimes an "improvement" isn't an improvement after all. Working in IT, and having to constantly deal with issues caused by "new and improved" or "updated" applications, why am I not surprised? 😁

I can tell you that the Escape Forum has the exact same issue as this one, so the software is probably similar.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I can tell you that the Escape Forum has the exact same issue as this one, so the software is probably similar.
Both forums use the exact same software, just different skins. I'm constantly fixing pics on the EscapeForum. But, I'd rather do that than turn my monitor sideways or upside down.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Both forums use the exact same software, just different skins. I'm constantly fixing pics on the EscapeForum. But, I'd rather do that than type my monitor sideways or upside down. [emoji38]tu
Sometimes standing on your head is kinda fun...[emoji1]
Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I always use a real camera, not a cell phone. (chuckle)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Guess that makes you a real photographer, Mike...

No such pretensions here...LOL! I like my cell phone camera because it's always with me and ready to use, unlike the "real" camera I own... (Okay, it's a Pentax K1000, and I haven't used it for a lo-o-o-ng time!)

I love the amazing photography people post here using modern digital SLRs. I just don't have the bug.