TV - Comcast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
TV - Comcast

I don't remember seeing this posted before, so thought it might be helpful. This is particular to Comcast, but might be available with other cable companies.

With my cable subscription, at no additional cost I can watch cable tv on my laptop over wifi or directly from internet. You just go to the comcast web site and select tv from top menu.

Comcast also has free wifi in many parts of the country. I haven't tried watching tv over the comcast wifi, but assume that would work.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Internet TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I don't remember seeing this posted before, so thought it might be helpful. This is particular to Comcast, but might be available with other cable companies.

With my cable subscription, at no additional cost I can watch cable tv on my laptop over wifi or directly from internet. You just go to the comcast web site and select tv from top menu.

Comcast also has free wifi in many parts of the country. I haven't tried watching tv over the comcast wifi, but assume that would work.
Huck, We frequently watch Internet TV and prefer it to broadcast TV.

Generally it is commercial free, programs take less time to watch and are not 'clock-bound'. We have both Chromecast and Amazon Fire. Our T-mobile phone permits unlimited data on Netflix, Hulu and a number of other over the Internet services.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I suspect what Huck may be referring to is that a number of the cable/optic TV services providers now offering the same live TV programming you have at home to you while on the road.

In which case it still does have commercials etc. just as you would watching the program on your TV at home.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I suspect what Huck may be referring to is that a number of the cable/optic TV services providers now offering the same live TV programming you have at home to you while on the road.

In which case it still does have commercials etc. just as you would watching the program on your TV at home.
Exactly. I was just pointing out you may already have access to free cable tv no matter where you are in the country.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Exactly. I was just pointing out you may already have access to free cable tv no matter where you are in the country.
As long as you have Broadband access which is of course not a given on the road.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Shaw

Shaw cable just launched it here in Canada, availible for Windows, iPad, and android systems. We have roam mobility for data and cell service availible for traveling south.used it to stream last year and watched Netflix on my Windows tablet,
this year my Shaw subsribtion should work. I also recieved all the US content on netflix��
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Huck your point is a good one. I did understand. Last year we had Comcast Internet and very limited TV while in FL and where ever we went Xfinity (Comcast), would attempt to connect at the Internet level, allowing us to access the paid for services, TV and Internet.

I was not clear in my response. When we leave FL we drop our minimal Comcast and switch to our Internet TV, a financial savings because with extended travel, we don't maintain Comcast during our travels but always our smartphones.

As we head to Newfoundland my smart phone serves as our Internet hotspot in the USA and Canada and allows me to to do Internet TV without data penalty or data charges.

Certainly Internet and TV on the road is changing rapidly. For our first years we had a flip phone that connected us to the Internet, very slowly connected I might add. Sixteen years we're connected to the world at speeds 1000 times faster. We used to connect to TV through a dish to a satellite some 22,000 miles above the surface of the earth, having to set it up every night. Now I have TV whenever I want, watching shows on my schedule.

It's hard for us older guys and gals to keep up with the changes but they are amazing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The Time Warner Cable (TWC) App and web site also allows Live TV viewing over the net.. but if you are not at home then your channel selection is VERY limited.

BTW, I have it on good authority that is you are away from home and use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to your home, and then access live TV via the web site.. then that gives you the full channel list just as if you were home.

I also have it on good authority that if you do the same thing only using the TWC App instead of a web browser, then the App says that the Live TV is not available while using a VPN.

YMMV and YTSMV (Your Terms of Service May Vary)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote