TV in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
TV in Scamp

I have installed a TV in our 16-footer. I use an under-the-cabinet bracket and I reinforced the cabinet with 1/2" plywood.

But I am afraid to travel with the TV attached to the cabinet because I feel that all the bouncing and jiggling will weaken the cabinet or cause the TV and the bracket to fall during travel. So I take the TV and bracket down when we prepare to travel.

This is a pain in the neck because remounting it requires guiding the mount into two screws that hang down from the cabinet and tightening them, something not as easy as it sounds.

I have searched the internet for a bracket that allows the TV to be easily removed from the bracket without removing the entire bracket from the cabinet.

Any suggestions?

Larry Linderman
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
You could always create a velcro pocket that the TV slides into. I used to not have a lot of faith in velcro, until I worked a job where I saw that's what held pilots in their ejection seats.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Scamp TV in our 16

When we purchased our 16 Deluxe this year we also purchased the television option offered by Scamp. They mounted ours in the right rear corner over the dining table. The television mount itself is riveted through the shell (where some will argue its just another place to leak water.) Now this work pretty well and of course they ran the antenna and power tastefully in an upper cabinet. However, when bouncing down the road the television can move and has swung out a little ways from the corner as the mount is adjustable. My solution to decrease this movement will be a Velcro strap. I can secure the strap between the two metal window jambs and hopefully keep the thing secured. I have what I need purchased but have not gotten around to getting the job finished.

note: We keep our bed setup full time and the mounting location works well for both bedtime watching and the occasional TV show as you cook.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This one was on the cabinet for about 10 years before I replaced it with a 19" digital which has been there for about 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0103.JPG   DSCF0098.JPG  

DSCF0099.JPG   Pic015.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post
I have installed a TV in our 16-footer. I use an under-the-cabinet bracket and I reinforced the cabinet with 1/2" plywood.

But I am afraid to travel with the TV attached to the cabinet because I feel that all the bouncing and jiggling will weaken the cabinet or cause the TV and the bracket to fall during travel. So I take the TV and bracket down when we prepare to travel.

This is a pain in the neck because remounting it requires guiding the mount into two screws that hang down from the cabinet and tightening them, something not as easy as it sounds.

I have searched the internet for a bracket that allows the TV to be easily removed from the bracket without removing the entire bracket from the cabinet.

Any suggestions?

Larry Linderman
Larry, could you make some wooden dowels with slip on rubber feet to be used as prop rods while traveling? Just place under the TV and down to the cabinet counter top.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post
I have installed a TV in our 16-footer. I use an under-the-cabinet bracket and I reinforced the cabinet with 1/2" plywood...
WHICH cabinet? The rear side ones can't safely hold a lot of weight (look at how many rivets there are). The middle ones with the wrought iron supports might be sufficient but I think your concern is generally warranted (and without a warranty). Note the above comment about how Scamp does their TV bracket. Also I am thinking of a STD Scamp, not the DLX.

And it limits where you can sit and see the TV.. I have a small TV on a stand and I put it by the sink on one side when watching from the bed, or on the other side by the stove when watching from the front sofa. It works for me.

I seem to recall a TV mount with a quick release but can't point you to it,
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I installed a small 16" TV and DVD combo unit on a swiveling bracket in our Scamp 13. I shared the same concerns you do concerning the bouncing and vibrations while traveling. I found a universal quick release bracket that works great. One half is screwed to the TV, and the other half to the mounting bracket. The TV can be removed or installed in seconds now. We found an old laptop case that fits and protects the TV while traveling. It rides between our bed pillows. Here's a link to the bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Not the answer to your particular situation but may be helpful to others. I will be using this mount for the TV installation I will be doing next week. One part mounts to the TV and the other will mount to a partition between the rear and side dinettes. The TV bracket slides into the wall mount and away we go. We store the TV on the dinette when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Arizona
Quick release TV bracket

Tom,

This may be the thing I'm looking for. Any chance you can send me a photo of it installed?

llinderman13@gmail.com

Many thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Why do you need TV? Don't you carry a laptop computer when travelling?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Why do you need TV? Don't you carry a laptop computer when travelling?
Some do.. but a laptop does not come with a TV tuner. We need TV to keep up the garbage going on in Washington.

And before you say it, Yea, I have, not one, but two of those USB TV tuners. They are very buggy and needed to be restarted way too often. After a few years of using them I bought a small TV with which I am much happier.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I don't have TV service even at home :-) For about 15 years already. To be up to date with
Washington garbage I point web browser to cnn.com or news.google.com.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #13

Michigan
Larry,
Here are a few pictures of our TV/DVD player installation. If you look close you can see the Q-D bracket between the TV and swing arm mount. As you can see; I mounted it to the vertical wall of the pantry. When extended you can see the TV from any room in the Scamp including the kitchen, bedroom, spare bedroom, living room, ball room and entryway.

We don't watch a lot of TV, but enjoy watching movies on the built in DVD player.

TomK
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00423.jpg   DSC00426.jpg  

DSC00428.jpg   DSC00431.jpg  

Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

Michigan
Larry, we recently ordered a Scamp 16 and will pick it up in October. We chose the side dinette model. There is no vertical wall to mount the TV bracket on the curbside, so I am looking for a mount that will work mounted to the bottom of the upper side cabinet. What did you use? I want to put the TV in the rear corner as shown in this picture, but don't want to drill holes in the outer shell as Scamp does. Link and pics if you have them? Thanks!

TomK
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1051.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #15

Arizona
TV mount

Tom,

Here's the mount I am currently using: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-MI-LCDC...+cabinet&psc=1

It functions fine except it is a pain to put up and take down.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #16

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Sorry Linderman. The mount I referred to is indeed a wall mount. I did install it on the partition and it looks like it will work well for our viewing.

If you do go with an under cabinet mount and you still want to dismount the TV you could try something like this. Many hardware stores have racks of containers with all sorts of nut, bolts, etc. Look for knurled screws with the same thread as the ones used for the VESA mount for your TV. Use the regular mounting screws provided with the mount at the bottom two screw holes but use the knurled screws for the top two holes. Screw the bottom two in just tight enough to allow the TV to be slid out of the large openings at the bottom of the mount, slide the TV into those two holes and then install the knurled screws into the top two holes. Move the TV up or down as required and then tighten the knurled screws.

To remove the TV from the mount, simply unscrew the knurled screws and slide the TV out of the mount. Get a couple of extra knurled screws because eventually you will lose one of them.

Sounds complicated but it should work.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #17

Michigan
It looks like the Q-D bracket I suggested would work fine on your mount, Larry.
Thanks for the picture and link for your set-up. That mount you have should work for me in the new trailer. Thanks!

TomK
Old 04-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #18

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Larry,
Here are a few pictures of our TV/DVD player installation. If you look close you can see the Q-D bracket between the TV and swing arm mount. As you can see; I mounted it to the vertical wall of the pantry. When extended you can see the TV from any room in the Scamp including the kitchen, bedroom, spare bedroom, living room, ball room and entryway.

We don't watch a lot of TV, but enjoy watching movies on the built in DVD player.

TomK
Looks great!
How did you support the fiberglass to hold the weight of the TV?
Nancy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #19

Trailer: SurfSide
British Columbia
Tv safety strap

I see you have had a number of suggestions on different way to mount the tv. I mounted a small 15” tv in my SurfSide and secured it with a safety strap while travelling. It however was mounted on the wall, a fibreglass wall, so I reinforced the mount with a 1/2. Piece of plywood on the backside of the wall, (inside wall, back side in the bathroom. The safety strap, available from Amazon works like a seat belt. Here is the link, https://www.amazon.ca/Ready-America-...s%2C140&sr=8-5

Never a problem, didn’t have to take the tv down for travel, meant not having to disconnect cables. Good luck
Gordon A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp