TV Size 13 foot Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
TV Size 13 foot Scamp

Just starting to look for a small televison for our Scamp. I as curious as to what size people who do bring a tv think is a good size
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
am I correct in assuming that you mean television-TV as opposed to Tow Vehicle - TV?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Yes. Television. I know it's subjective to everyone's personal taste and eyesight. We had/have a 13 inch lcd tv/Dvd combo for the 19 foot trailer we just sold and could use it but it's older and bulky. We have a cable input on the Scamp but no antenna.
Now I could start a tow vehicle thread -. I have been looking. Tested a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0, subaru outback and Jetta sports wagon TDI
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
We have a 12" lcd left over from our boat and we're thinking it's a reasonable size for the Scamp 13. We'll see how suitable it is this summer. I really don't want to go to a much smaller screen, especially for things like watching news stories.

We didn't buy a dedicated RV type antenna. We're using a 4 bay type. We have an 8 bay one for home use and it works really well. I tested the 4 bay one at home and it also works really well. Cost was about $50 on ebay. Only negative is that it can't stay mounted while under way but for us, we're already used to putting it up in new locations because that's what we did on the boat.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I use a 32" Sony LED back lit LCD. It's light for it's size. I bungie it to the bed in transit and then hang it with wire (like a painting or framed art) over the right rear window when I want to use it (or need to sleep on the bed!).

But I'm a huge movie guy, I full time and a little screen would be disappointing. I can and do watch some entertainment on my 13" laptop screen, 7" tablet screen etc. But LOVE having a nice high quality TV in the trailer. I think you could permanently mount it on the wall, but then that window would be worthless. And I also can put the 32" on a table and use it as a computer monitor when doing design or photography, you just reattach the table stand.

I can stream internet to it directly from my phone with it's hotspot feature. It does Amazon and Netflix movies right on the TV, plus lot's of other online entertainment. No need to boot a computer. There's even a camera and mic option for Skype on the TV. Play movies and images off USB media or over a local network. I can even watch stuff from my phone because it has an HDMI output, so I can see any android apps or media players on the big TV screen.

I just wish it was 12V DC!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a 19" Flat screen hanging off the over head bin in the back corner and it fits in well. But a hole in the over head bin for the wires and put the DVD into the bin.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I installed a 19 " TV with DVD player in my Scamp . Wife and I are happy with the size and picture quality . I am not happy with the sound ( Lost 75 % of my hearing) , the combination of 2 watts of audio and the speakers located in the back of the TV forces me to turn the volume up to the max. Not a good thing for my neighbors who can hear. Hopefully you are young and have good hearing
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I installed a 19 " TV with DVD player in my Scamp . Wife and I are happy with the size and picture quality . I am not happy with the sound ( Lost 75 % of my hearing) , the combination of 2 watts of audio and the speakers located in the back of the TV forces me to turn the volume up to the max. Not a good thing for my neighbors who can hear. Hopefully you are young and have good hearing
Definitely look for something with a headphone/aux output in my opinion. You can then connect to some external speakers or something when you want to be really loud. But most of the time I use headphones. I like my movies loud, but don't want to be the guy making the rest of the campground listen to my entertainment choices. And the campground I've full timed has quiet time after 10pm (thankfully!), during which time NO tv/radio/instruments are allowed to be heard outside RVs.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I bought a 15 inch Vizio on Walmart online & a swivel stand. It's mounted on the side of the closet. We have a dvd & Satelite reciever on the upper shelf in the closet with the wires going through a hole hidden behind the tv & next to a AC outlet I installed on the closet side. It really works slick. PM me your email & I can send pictures. I have no clue on how to post here.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

New Brunswick
Thanks everyone for your responses
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
-19 inch Samsung has multiple jacks for everything including headphones
-DVD player
-Satellite receiver
Attached Thumbnails
entertainment center #5.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
-19 inch Samsung has multiple jacks for everything including headphones
-DVD player
-Satellite receiver
Nice set up there. Samsung generally makes good stuff.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #13

British Columbia
Anyone found a nice 1080p native set, with modern inputs (HDMI), over 24" that uses an external power supply, thus could be run direct DC?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

British Columbia
32 12Volt Television LED w/HiDef JE3212LEDWM - $599.99 :

There is that one, but 90 watts I think is a lot more than my Sony 32" draws. I'd hope an LED backlit TV would use less than that.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Not commenting either way but the power draw is similar to a laptop. If it's something you "need" then that may be the price.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

New Brunswick
I picked up a small 7.5 inch Phillips tv/dvd combo ..works well for all of our needs
Old 08-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
we use our laptop. its handy for internet stuff, music cd's and playing dvd's. we do not watch tv while traveling, but take a few movies, usually old favorite we haven't seen in ages. also we can upload ,edit pictures from our digital cam and develope a photo album while we still remember what the heck we took that picture of that bush for. ohhhh,,,there was an itty bitty butterfly on it...thats right.
so a small package that covers all our entertainment, communication, and photo lab needs in one.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #18

New Brunswick
We don't watch much either so didn't want to give up much space

In your state today ..going to Sleeper State Park for the weekend
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's the 13" TV in our 13' Scamp,with the newer configuration, A somewhat wider unit would fit the same bracket...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG   DSCF0103.JPG  

DSCF0098.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp