Twin Falls, ID - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Twin Falls, ID

I usually don't write a lot about cities we visit but Twin falls is different as many of you westerners probably know.

We entered Twin Falls on Rt 93, crossing the Snake River gorge on 'the bridge'. The bridge is 1500 feet long and 500 feet, about 50 stories, above the river. The bridge has four lanes and sidewalks. The sidewalks are principally used by para-sailers. We saw two of them climb over the side walk's railing, jump and spiral down to a landing site, marked by an American flag at the bottom of the gorge. You can see a tourquoise parachute in the third picture, as well as the head of the second jumper. When they begin their initial free fall there's a strange parental feeling that comes over me.

There are two major falls up stream of the bridge Shoshonee and Twin Falls. The third picture is of Shoshonee. Please realize this picture is at low flow, still wonderful to us, but I understand the spring flow is striking.

Today we drove west on the river to the town of Haggerman to the famous fossil field where the Haggerman horse fossils were found. The drive was as interesting as the fossils, thru farm country, seemingly endless wheat, alfalfa and corn fields, well watered by the Snake River and other water sources. It gives me great pleasure to see the nation's producers.

On our return we passed 1000 Springs. These are springs that just pop out of the north wall of the Gorge creating a water viel that seems miles long. Truly beautiful and worth the trip.

This gorge was mostly created by the great Bonneville flood, about 14,000 years ago. Lake Bonneville was 150 miles wide and 350 miles long, about half the size of Arizona.

The natural rock dam holding Lake Bonneville at Red Rock Utah failed and the resulting flood released 25 million cubic feet of water per second that flowed into the Snake River for 6-8 weeks, draining the lake in that time period, the present Great Salt Lake is all that remains of Lake Bonneville.

When the flood passed Twin Falls, the water overflowed the tops of the gorge and was moving at nearly 50 mph, carrying huge boulders and gouging out the canyon to new depths and widths, increasing it's size by a factor of 7.

The pre-flood depth was near the bridge's present canyon wall arch footing.

We have only spent two days here, a week probably wouldn't be enough. There are all kinds of things to do here, raft trips, kayaking, hiking,.... finding this was a gem, not to mention the bag of obsidian stones, to two unsuspecting souls from NH.

Off to Neveda in the morning
Attached Thumbnails
TFBridge.jpg   TFFalls.jpg  

Jumper.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I have added Twin Falls to my mental list of places to visit, thanks to your info. I had no idea it was like that...very picturesque!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Visitors Center

Mike,

Just after you cross the bridge on 93 there's the visitors center. It's where the jumpers organize. On weekends there are about 50 jumpers from all over the world, so I'm told.

When we were at Craters we had a neighbor who was a jumper. He jumped from a marked place north of Arco, the first town after Craters, He had rides from the nearby mountain that extended beyond 60 minutes. Oh to be younger.....

Gary, at the fossil visitors center they had big pieces of obsidian and blue dragon basalt.... Ginny made me keep my hands in my pockets. By the way is their red obsidian? I saw some tourquoise blue pieces today called Indian tears. I think I found 2 pieces of red.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I grew up not far (in western miles) from Twin Falls and Craters of the Moon. I haven't lived there since the 70's but am gratified to read about your interest in the local sites and scenery. Thanks for bringing an interesting and special -to me, at least -place to the attention of those reading this forum. Growing up in a place leads you to take it for granted but you have reminded me of what interesting things there are to see and do in south eastern Idaho. I always enjoy reading about your travels.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
I agree totally with Reid, I love reading Norm and Ginny's posts, along with Adrian and many others. There's not enough thanks out there for all of you!
Sincerely
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Yea....Thanks Norm!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Some of us get to travel....some of us get to stay home...some of us get to travel with others.

Sooooo if you ever feel like your egg is getting crowded it is because so many of us enjoy traveling with you!

Have a Great Time( we know you do) and keep up the Great reports and pictures! Makes me (almost) feel like I am there with you.

Happy Camping and Happy Travels!
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote