Two Days and a Wake-up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thumbs up Two Days and a Wake-up

I can't believe it! Monday morning we'll be at the Scamp factory in Backus waiting for the doors to open. We visited them in mid January driving through a blizzard and -20 F weather to look them over and place an order. We could've had it much sooner, but our schedule demanded we wait. It was a long eight months!

You'd think we'd be more organized with that kind of lead time; but our living room is full of stuff that will somehow have to fit in the Subaru Forester. It still seems like we're forgetting something. Whatever "must have" thing is left behind we can do without. As long as we don't forget the dogs or the check, we'll be ok.

We're staying at Ruttgers Pine Mountain CG in Backus per some of your suggestions. We'll rent a cabin there Sunday night, then move to the campground side with our camper on Monday. I hope it's the last cabin we rent for a long time. From there we'll camp our way back home. Not sure if we'll be near a Wi-Fi, but pictures for sure when we return.

I know I thanked all of you for all the advice and knowledge that I picked up here for years as a lurker, and now a member, but I want to take this time to repeat it. Sure, we might have ended up with a camper without your help, but it wouldn't be nearly as thought out, or as perfect for us as it will now. We owe you all!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats Tom and safe travels.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We're always glad to share! Now you'll share those first wonderful pics with us... won't you?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Michigan
You bet Ted. Shiny side up. Slow and easy!

Pictures, and a full report when we get back Donna.

Tom
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Tom, One of the reasons I suggested Rutger's to camp overnight after picking up your new Scamp is that they have WiFi at the office area. It's strong enough that you can sit outside and pick it up if you are up the hill from the lake. Say hello for me. We were there in May when I picked mine up. Happy Scamping!
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Michigan
Gene that Ruttgers CG tip was helpful. Diane G also recommended that place. The owners sound very accommodating on the phone. If they have Wi-Fi, I'll try to get a picture or two off before we return. When there in Jan, we stayed at a motel that rubbed me the wrong way. They quoted one price, and charged us another. Ruttgers also has cabins, so we'll stay there instead. We got a campsite by the lake so some fishing tackle will be brought. Nothing like a shore lunch. I'll tell the owners you said hi and referred us. Thx

Tom
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

Registry
Minnesota Resorts, Ruttger's Pine Mountain Resort, RV, Pine Mountain Lake, Backus, MN, seasonal campsites, swimming pool- full hookup
Here's their web site.
enjoy.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #8

Registry
With all the people picking up Scamps there I'm surprised they don't offer a deal and work with Eveland's. I think it's a great place for the first check out camp. Under Activities they do list internet available. By the way don't forget to check out the cafe next to the Cenex gas station across the road from the lumber yard. Good food, big helpings, good prices.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #9

Michigan
Gene, we'll stop at the Cenex when we roll in. We gassed up there in January. I remember it because our salesman Alan's son owns the gun shop part in back of the station.

I'll probably use the CG's Wi-Fi while there. I wasn't even sure I'd bring the laptop, but the wx prediction shows T-storms predicted for next week. Joanne reminded me we can use it to watch DVD's. When I saw the rain predictions, I smiled and remembered we'd be in a fiberglass tent. I can touch the walls without causing a leak! Win-win situation now. This all weather camping could catch on.

I was thinking Scamp should throw in a night of free camping with the purchase of a trailer. Wouldn't cost them much and it would promote good will with the customers. Not sure what they'd do for their winter buyers?

Tom
Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
How about a simple 'shake down' site on their property?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #11

Michigan
That would be too easy! Not as scenic, but it wouldn't cost them a dime. Ruttgers is only 2 miles from the factory and looks pretty nice. We're anxious. In 24 hours we'll be on the road. Not that I'm counting or anything...

Tom
Old 08-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
We've been to the factory and stayed at Ruttgers, Safe travels Tom.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Name: Richard
Massachusetts
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club! Try to get to a FG rally this year. Hope to see you on the road somewhere?

Rick and Jessica
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #14

Michigan
Thanks for all the good will everyone! This will start a whole new chapter in our lives.

Rick, we will be at the Algonac Rally in September and the FL Scamp Camp in Feb. Can't wait. Hope to meet many of the good peeps on this forum. Which Rally's do you attend?

Tom
Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Thanks for all the good will everyone! This will start a whole new chapter in our lives.

Rick, we will be at the Algonac Rally in September and the FL Scamp Camp in Feb. Can't wait. Hope to meet many of the good peeps on this forum. Which Rally's do you attend?

Tom
Hi Tom,

We will be at Niagara in September, but as luck hast it, we will also be in FL in February, so despite having a Casita, we will try to pop into Scamp Camp.

Rick and Jessica
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #16

Registry
The cafe I mentioned is just next door to the Cenex to the South. One thing I got a kick out of was the lumber yard across the street to the South had a whole bunch of outhouses for sale. I suppose for people with lake cabins and such but it made the place look like real redneck back country America!
I agree, it would be nice if Scamp teamed up with a couple resorts for a one night stay to encourage customers to do the first overnight in the area to check out their new unit. I'm glad I did. Nothing major happened but I did go back to ask some questions and pick up some microwave mounting brackets. I save over $140 by buying my own.
To be fair there are a number of possibilities nearby for camping. Ruttger's was very handy.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Hi Tom,

We will be at Niagara in September, but as luck hast it, we will also be in FL in February, so despite having a Casita, we will try to pop into Scamp Camp.

Rick and Jessica
Rick, you might want to make reservations for FL quickly. It was filling fast when we made our reservations. Info is on Rallies sub forum. I understand all fiberglass trailers will be welcome. Do people wear name tags with their FGRV handles on them? Is there a secret handshake? Otherwise, we could be camped right next to fellow forum folks that we "talk" to on a regular basis, and never know.

Tom
Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Rick, you might want to make reservations for FL quickly. It was filling fast when we made our reservations. Info is on Rallies sub forum. I understand all fiberglass trailers will be welcome. Do people wear name tags with their FGRV handles on them? Is there a secret handshake? Otherwise, we could be camped right next to fellow forum folks that we "talk" to on a regular basis, and never know.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice!

No secret handshakes, but you get the gratification of finally not feeling out of place in the land of the giants

Rick and Jessica
Old 08-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #19

Michigan
On Our Way!!

This is it. We'll be on the yellow brick road to Backus this morning. A door that's been open for about 5 years is about to close. Tomorrow morning a new one will open. Don't know if we'll be posting or not until we get back at the end of the week. I understand there will be Wi-Fi, but the fish might be biting too. Full report and pics to follow. Last "Pre-Scamp" thanks to all of you for all of your advice and encouragement.

Tom
Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Safe travels, always. Have a ton of fun, make some really great memories and don't forget your journal and camera.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote