Two Harbors MN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Two Harbors MN

I'm trying to plan this year's vacation and would appreciate some local knowledge if available. This coming June, we plan to fly to Chicago then drive up to Saskatchewan to visit relatives. On the way back to Chicago we hope to spend a week or so in a resort in the MN, WI or IL areas. I have came upon what appears to be a nice resort in Two Harbors, Minnesota, but know little about the area other than it is on the shores of Lake Superior. Does anyone know Two Harbors and if so would it be worthy of a week's stay? Any info or advice gratefully received.
Andy
Andy Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Duluth, MN would be my choice.
Info VisitDuluth.com :: The Official Duluth Travel Guide
Webcams UMD: Duluth Web Cams
Ship entrance webcam Duluth Web Cam ? View Lake Superior Ships & Shipping ? Duluth Harbor Cam
Click image for larger version

Name:	up-HP8OQVLBAUFKT29J.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	33028
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I don't know about the resort (I'm not a resort-going type) but will say that you could use it as a base for day trips to some of the nearby state parks and such. I camped along the Superior "north shore" about 4 years ago and greatly enjoyed walking the trails and taking pictures. Trails in the state parks follow the riverbanks from the lakeshore up past numerous waterfalls and rapids. There are some good spots for swimming. I saw several groups of teens jumping off the high banks, going down 20 to 30 feet before hitting the water hole below. Visit the Palisades, a rock escarpment about 200 feet above the big lake... when I was there, a couple was taking turns rappelling down and climbing back up. There is also a long hiking trail running parallel to the lakeshore, and a shuttle bus will drop off and pick up hikers at several points along the way.

Duluth would also be an easy drive for a day trip, so you can see whatever attractions they have also.

Mmmm, remembering and talking about it is making me want to go back soon!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here's an old post, you might find something to help in it:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...our-36471.html

Here's my reply in the old post:
We drove/RVed a small part of that route in 2001 from Duluth, MN to Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada. We spend one night at Gooseberry Falls State Park (Waterfalls, the best visitor center, and most variety of scenic & recreational attractions. Good for day visit or extended stay. Campers are advised to make reservations in peak sesaon.) and visited Split Rock Lighthouse. Very nice drive with the scenery, but it was perhaps the worse road we have ever driven on (the MN section, Canada's was in good condition). We had to have the plumbing in the shower of the C-class motor home repaired after we got home, broken I am sure from the rough road.

We enjoyed the visiting Grand Portage National Monument ( Grand Portage National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) ). The Monument is located in northeastern Minnesota's Tip of the Arrowhead within Grand Portage Indian Reservation, Cook County, Grand Portage, Minnesota. Grand Portage National Monument is about 150 miles northeast of Duluth, Minnesota and 50 miles southwest of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada along the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior. The historic site is ½ to 1 mile south of the west and east exits from Minnesota State Highway 61 in the village of Grand Portage.

We drove around the city of Thunder Bay mainly to see the port area. We found a Ontario Visitor Center/Rest Area off the major interstate like highway out side of the city, it allowed over night camping. We spent the night there. A very nice place on a hill top. The next day we went to Fort William Historical Park. We enjoyed it very much. Fort William Historical Park - Home

There were many provincial parks in the area as well.
http://www.visitthunderbay.com/index...ovincial_parks

We drove back to Duluth and spend a night at a Wal-mart. Then we took a boat tour of the harbor the next morning. There would be more to see and do in Duluth as well as Thunder Bay, but we had a time restraint at the time. We had also driven over into Wisconsin just to say we had been in the state as we were getting to the city from the St. Paul area. We drove into the port area in Duluth on the first day. We crossed the Aerial Lift Bridge onto an island and went for a walk on a beach, my son did a little swimming in the way too cold lake water (in May). There were sea plane rides one could take at the end of the island as well. Neat homes on the island drive. A neat Lake Walk by the port and bridge as well with sculptures.
Aerial Lift Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.visitduluth.com/attractio...al_attractions
http://www.visitduluth.com/attractio...php?page=mtsad

We went by Two Harbors, but I can not remember much about it now. It was a very pretty drive.
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...o_Harbors.html
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Lambs resort in Tofte is a very nice camp ground, and there are many state parks near by, and explore the Sawbil trail, you can spend a couple of days doing that.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
You mentioned motel, rather than camping. Two Harbors is just north of Duluth (the next town). Truthfully there is much more to see in Duluth, but by staying in Two Harbors you can venture north to the State parks as they are beautiful and people go there to see things instead of camping. Goosberry falls, the light house, etc. Duluth has much to see and do. I do think you could spend a week in the area easily.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all of your advice and information - much appreciated.
Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
For us the municipal campground at Grand Marais is the easy choice. Very nice downtown (Angry Trout restaurant, folk school, nearby state parks), many other accomodations. We were there Second week of June 2010 and it wasn't very busy, but after that look out.
Cheers, Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
For us the municipal campground at Grand Marais is the easy choice. Very nice downtown (Angry Trout restaurant, folk school, nearby state parks), many other accomodations. We were there Second week of June 2010 and it wasn't very busy, but after that look out.
Cheers, Tony
Thanks Tony, Two Harbors is looking good.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Andy,

You could spend weeks on the North Shore of Lake Superior and not have enough time.

Did you notice we are having a fiberglass gathering in Duluth June 8-12? My guess is there will be 30-50 fiberglass trailers there. If you are interested in seeing various trailers and meeting us, and your dates work out contact us. I just sent you a private message.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Hi Andy,

You could spend weeks on the North Shore of Lake Superior and not have enough time.

Did you notice we are having a fiberglass gathering in Duluth June 8-12? My guess is there will be 30-50 fiberglass trailers there. If you are interested in seeing various trailers and meeting us, and your dates work out contact us. I just sent you a private message.

Nancy
Nancy, thanks for that. I have replied to your pm, but either through computer problems, ineptitude or indeed a mixture of both, I don't know if it has been successfully sent. Please let me know if you have received anything.
Andy
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Andy, Got your PM and have sent you another PM.

June 18 is Grandma's Marathon so if that is the date you are looking at you will find nothing in the area.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote