Twofootitis? Nope, fortyyearitis. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Twofootitis? Nope, fortyyearitis.

What I want isn't bigger, it's newer.

I'm seriously thinking about new or at least recent model, still a 13, but something that doesn't have a new list of things to fix every trip. I'm not into redoing the whole trailer to like new. I don't mind using it old, either. But I'd like everything to work without me having to tinker with it all the time.

I wish I could buy my trailer, new, but since I can't, I'm starting to shop.

How new is new enough?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bobbie, anytime you're looking to buy a used trailer, it isn't brand and it isn't the year of build... it's ALL about maintenance.

Have you considered making a list of all the things you want done to YOUR trailer and then finding someone to do it? Rather than spending thousands on another used trailer, put the money into what you own?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

Registry
No. I think to get everything fixed like new would cost like new- or more. That might be do-able when parts are available but generally they aren't.

I'm actually thinking new rather than just new to me but I've seen some almost and like new trailers, too.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Other than the frame and the body, everything else is made by some other manufacturer.... Stuff from windows to appliances. You can buy all that stuff new. You have one of the more simple trailers... e.g., no electronics, no tank monitors, etc.

If you have looking for a different used trailer, what is it you desire?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Registry
New. I want everything in excellent condition, working. Not working now but about to break. Not sorta working. Not working today but stops working in the middle of a trip. I'd consider late model, barely used. But if I get a new trailer I don't want to have to fix or upgrade anything unless I want to- not because I have to.

What I like about the Campster- low height, decent sized bed (but I only use it as a 48" wide bed), lightweight, back door. What I don't like (besides age-related defects)- lack of floor space, not very well planned storage, lack of insulation, no awning, no extra bed, poor lighting, no counter space (I'd rather have no kitchen if there is no counterspace). I don't think I'll find the perfect trailer but I'm going to look for something that I like.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
What I want isn't bigger, it's newer.

I'm seriously thinking about new or at least recent model, still a 13, but something that doesn't have a new list of things to fix every trip. I'm not into redoing the whole trailer to like new. I don't mind using it old, either. But I'd like everything to work without me having to tinker with it all the time.

I wish I could buy my trailer, new, but since I can't, I'm starting to shop.

How new is new enough?
It is very easy to hit frustration points on an hourly basis during the upgrading and renovation and feel overwhelmed by it. I certainly feel that way everyday but I do know there is an eventual end to it in sight. Chin up, keep going and do expect these emotional roadblocks to happen along the way. But it is good to enviously dream while you work.

My Campster renovation will solve the lighting, counter space and awning issues but not of course the extra sleeping space and floor space. However my little Honda Element does have the ability to provide a spare bed for a guest. Also I will have a 5' x 5' extension just outside the door with a walled add a room created using this popup canopy. I don't want a larger one as it is too difficult for me to put up without help. This will be just enough.

http://www.eurmax.com/basic-5x5-canopy-tent.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
What I like about the Campster- low height, decent sized bed (but I only use it as a 48" wide bed), lightweight, back door. What I don't like (besides age-related defects)- lack of floor space, not very well planned storage, lack of insulation, no awning, no extra bed, poor lighting, no counter space (I'd rather have no kitchen if there is no counterspace). I don't think I'll find the perfect trailer but I'm going to look for something that I like.
Sounds like a Lil Snoozy would cover your wishes.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Registry
I like the Lil Snoozy but don't want to go that big.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Rear entry? Besides Snoozy, Weiscraft is the only other trailer in current production, that I can think of. Snoozy would take care of your floor space want, though; I don't see a way to improve floor space without having a larger-dimension trailer. As for lack of insulation, that's a very common thing in the FGRV world.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

Registry
Snoozy is not so "Lil"- 8 feet wide, almost 19 feet long. Little Joe is a little too narrow. I know I won't get exactly what I want no matter what I find.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just a thought...sometimes trailer manufacturers end up with trailers that were ordered, custom-built and not purchased by the original customer. The manufacturer often will discount the cost of the trailer to get it off their lot. I've heard people on this forum speak of such with Scamp.

I have to give a disclaimer here. I am particularly fond of our 13' Scamp which we purchased new. I agree that there are things we had to "tweek" even though it was new. For instance, the drawer has come apart after many bumpy roads. It was a simple fix with glue and screws. Cabinet doors do not all stay latched when under way. We hold them in place with bungee cords. We wonder why Scamp did not make these things properly in the first place.

We tried to keep costs down while including features that we thought we'd need (kitchen drawer, ceiling fan, back cabinet, extra propane tank, outside electrical outlet, city water hookup, lights over dinette/bed, heater) We chose an icebox as opposed to a refrigerator. As it turns out, we probably could have easily gone with a more basic model, thereby further reducing the cost. I'll bet the Scamp company will eliminate the sink and stove if you wish and save you money as a result (I'm not sure I'd do this as we often need to cook inside) We improvise "counter space" by using plastic trays on the bed or couch).

The 13' without a toilet/shower has a front couch that changes into bunk beds and has a porta pottie in a nook underneath. Our Scamp has room to sleep 4. The Scamp has insulation and keeps it's heat well and insulates from the cold. Personally, I would get the factory installed heater as it's great to have when needed. The door of a Scamp is on the side; not much we can do about that. Attached awnings are expensive, yet a portable awning will cost much less and you can place it where you want it. Even a patio umbrella with a stand can be a good stand-in.

I would like to improve lighting while boondocking and will do so by installing battery-run "puck" lights with Command removable adhesive.

Yes, the Scamp, like so many trailers has limited storage space. There are lots of tricks to maximize the space. We have to begin by carrying less and enjoying our experience more. Please see my attached photos for some storage ideas. While I don't have a photo of the shelving my husband built in the closet, it is the best modification we could have done.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 039.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 033.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 034.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 035.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #12

California
Registry
Here's a used 13' Scamp that just sold in CA. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-75139.html
Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #13

California
Registry
Here's the Happier Camper in action. It's relatively new to the fiberglass market and features a hatchback door and totally modular interior. They are pricier than Scamps. It is great to see our FGRV members enjoy it so much! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bay-71588.html
Old 06-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #14

Registry
I do like the Happier Camper. I like the options of configuring it how you want and being able to use it as a cargo trailer.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #15

Registry
I like the Scamp with the extra bunk (or bunkbeds) too.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #16

Registry
If I had the skills to renovate the Campster, totally, I'm still not sure I'd go that way, as it takes it out of commission for so long. But I don't have the skills, or the space, or the desire. Doing what's necessary to keep it going is more than enough- more than I want to do anymore. But doing what it would take to make it completely reliable, like Karin is, is beyond me.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Snoozy is not so "Lil"- 8 feet wide, almost 19 feet long. Little Joe is a little too narrow. I know I won't get exactly what I want no matter what I find.
The body is a bit over 6.5' wide IIRC. The wheels stick out and make the overall width 8'. The nice thing about that body width is the ability to sleep crosswise so comfortably (even if one is tall), which frees up space for other things.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #18

Registry
But my garage would have to have space for the wheels, too.

I do like it- it just is a bit bigger than I want. I think it has a great layout.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
But my garage would have to have space for the wheels, too.

I do like it- it just is a bit bigger than I want. I think it has a great layout.
Bobbie, just have to ask. What kind of garage do you have that an 8' width wouldn't handle? Wish mine would fit through the door. But it's to tall so it's outside along with the rest of the vehicles.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
If I had the skills to renovate the Campster, totally, I'm still not sure I'd go that way, as it takes it out of commission for so long. But I don't have the skills, or the space, or the desire. Doing what's necessary to keep it going is more than enough- more than I want to do anymore. But doing what it would take to make it completely reliable, like Karin is, is beyond me.
I hear you about the space issue, I am on borrowed time for that
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote