U-Haul hitches- Beware - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
After reading Normans disastrous experinece with a newly installed U-haul hitch I thought I would share my experience.
I bought a new Tacoma last week and needed a hitch installed. I drove 60 miles to be on time for my 9 am appointment and asked prior to the installation if it was a FRAME MOUNTED HITCH and was told it was. When I made my appointment on the phone I asked twice if it was a frame mounted hitch and was assured that it was.
At 11:20 am the installer came in and said my hitch was installed and I paid for it.
When I went out to my truck and looked I found that the hitch they installed was a combination Class one that attached to the rear bumper and a Class 3 that was attached to the last 5 inches of the frame.
To make a long story short this is the only hitch they have for an 08 Tacoma and he refused to refund my money. I paid cash for the installation.
If you have a 2005 Tacoma or newer and want a true frame mounted class 2 or 3 hitch beware.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's what I would do in your shoes. Visit ETrailer.com, look up some hitches, download the instructions for any you find. Presuming you find some 100% frame-mounts, then write a letter (NOT an email) to the president of UHaul, relating your experience (Saw him on the tube recently and he looked reasonable, but who knows...). I'd include copies of the other hitch installations with the frame mounts circled in red, plus a copy of your invoice.

I have always found UHaul to do good work, but others have had differing experiences.

The problem I see with a hitch that attaches to the bumper is that if the ends of the bumper are hit by anything, the hitch may be moved and the frame stressed by the leverage. I don't know how it would be affected by a WDH...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
John....
I had a 2007 toyota tacoma 2 wheel drive extended cab (wish i still had it) and i installed this hitch myself to the frame and was not hooked to the bumper at all. I didn't have my casita at that time but the hitch was rated plenty enough for it. (I had the Draw-Tite one) 5000+ towing capacity rated receiver....
Joe
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_T...oma+Pickup.htm
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
After reading Normans disastrous experinece with a newly installed U-haul hitch I thought I would share my experience.
I bought a new Tacoma last week and needed a hitch installed. I drove 60 miles to be on time for my 9 am appointment and asked prior to the installation if it was a FRAME MOUNTED HITCH and was told it was. When I made my appointment on the phone I asked twice if it was a frame mounted hitch and was assured that it was.
At 11:20 am the installer came in and said my hitch was installed and I paid for it.
When I went out to my truck and looked I found that the hitch they installed was a combination Class one that attached to the rear bumper and a Class 3 that was attached to the last 5 inches of the frame.
To make a long story short this is the only hitch they have for an 08 Tacoma and he refused to refund my money. I paid cash for the installation.
If you have a 2005 Tacoma or newer and want a true frame mounted class 2 or 3 hitch beware.
John
My '06 Tacoma came with the tow package. I think U-Haul should have given you the same quality hitch instead of the cheepy. The Toyota dealer will charge you too much but maybe you'll find a good one somewhere.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #5

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_T...oma+Pickup.htm

Looks like ETrailer carries four hitches for 2008 Tacoma; three are 100% frame and one (Valley) is frame plus bumper.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I should have explained that the hitch on my 05 Tacoma was a Drawtite. When I bought the 05 Tacoma it was early in that model year and hitches were not readily available for the Tacoma. The 05 Tacoma was a brand new model. The parts manager at the Toyota dealership I worked for special ordered it from Drawtite.
I do not know about other areas of the country but in California U-Haul uses hitches from Valley. Valley only makes the frame /bumper type hitch for the 05 and newer Tacoma.
The Valley hitch is much less time consuming to install than the Drawtite and not as sturdy.
I personally have had at least 5 hitches installed by U-Haul on my various trucks over the years. When I worked for the Toyota dealership I used the local U-Haul store for hitch installations.
This is the first time I have ever had a problem with U-Haul. I am waiting for them to agree to refund my money and I will buy a Drawtite frame mounted hitch. I even told them to keep the labor charge and just refund the amount I paid for the hitch.
The regional manager did apologize and agree to replace the hitch with a Drawtite. He stated it would be installed at their main store on Friday. I arrived at the store at 9 am on Friday, another 60 mile trip one way, and they knew nothing about it. They attempted to call the regional manager but he was unavailable. I will give them a few more days and if nothing happens I will take them to small claims court.
I guess I am old fashioned. I like the heavy wall square tubing that bolts directly to the frame instead of this flimsy looking round tubing thing that needs to be bolted to the bumper for additional support.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #7

Just guessing, but it looks like the Valley hitch might be higher and less visible than the box hitches.

Tags
u-haul