uh oh! hurricane coming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
uh oh! hurricane coming

I'm trying to figure out where to hide my uhaul for the hurricane they're predicting for sunday. Not sure ill be able to find a garage for it so maybe an open area without alot of trees around......anyone having simular thoughts on the east coast?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I'm trying to figure out where to hide my uhaul for the hurricane they're predicting for sunday. Not sure ill be able to find a garage for it so maybe an open area without alot of trees around......anyone having simular thoughts on the east coast?
Time for a vacation! come visit us in the boring cornfields of Illannoy, You can have a spot in my driveway with an electric cord and a garden hose, then we can all relax and watch the whole thing on TV!

But seriously, how about a couple of those screw things used for housetrailers with a cable going over the axle. Could you possibly get a parking spot in storage on the lee side of a prevost or some other bus type bulgemobile, (like a chick under a hen's wing)
We wish you and yours the very best, and pray that no harm comes your way.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm just hoping mine doesn't blow away. It lives outdoors in a storage lot. I wrapped it up as tightly as possible in its cover because the window seals might be described as adequate but not perfect and I don't want to start next week's trip to Canada with a soggy interior.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
How are a hurricane and a divorce alike in West Virginia?
Somebody's gonna lose a trailer!

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. With apologies to my WV brethren,

Proud Virginian,
the Green Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bruce, I truly wish I had suggestions. Mother Nature can be so cruel sometimes. Hoping you and yours stay safe and remember, things can be replaced... people can't.

Please post back and let us know how things turn out for you
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Hi Bruce,

Even here in central VT "they" are saying we might see 65-70 mph and 6-8" of rain in the wee hours of Sunday. YIKES! We here in the woods are struggling with the same question of where to hide the fg. The answer? ... Dunno ! We'll give it our best guess and then hunker down <crossed fingers>.

Good luck to you and everyone else on the quakin' 'n' shakin' east coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I just happen to be working for two weeks in South Plainfield, NJ directly in the path. I'm in a hotel and have preps to ride it out. Most people around here are drastically unprepared and underestimating what is about to happen.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I am in the Albany, NY area. It's in my driveway under a FirstUp canopy due to a leak from the Fantastic fan. Woods on side of the house. Canopy is staked on 4 sides, but don't like the setup. Can't find another place to put it. Wind usually blows in from the front with my Jeep parked in front of it.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Last February, the forecast was for a blizzard coming on Tuesday. We left on Sunday for the Sebring ScampCamp,two days sooner than originally planned.
If the house is as secured as possible, then maybe you should temporarily follow the advice of the renowned Horace Greeley!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #10

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Jam it in beside the house chain it down and hope for the best. Good luck and stay safe.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Patty, I'd take that First Up down. "Seal" the leak with duct tape (which you'll remove asap, after the storm). I can just see the frame of the First Up coming apart and crashing into the trailer.

I feel for all of y'all in the storm's path! Take care!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Last February, the forecast was for a blizzard coming on Tuesday. We left on Sunday for the Sebring ScampCamp,two days sooner than originally planned.
If the house is as secured as possible, then maybe you should temporarily follow the advice of the renowned Horace Greeley!
Man, this gets my vote!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #13

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I'll vote for getting on the leeward (downwind) side of a solid building, not something that might itself become a hammer to break your fiberglass egg. I guess the stakes and cables might do some good, but the protection is the biggest thing. That far inland you shouldn't have winds to destroy stationary buildings nor yet enough to whip around the building and build up enough motion in the eddy to move your FGRV. I said, "shouldn't" because the weather maps we're getting have predictions for the path of the hurricane's eye about 100 miles wide at that point, and when you add the size of the storm itself, things could be pretty unpredictable. I'm about 250 miles plus inland from the most likely path of Irene past VA Beach, so I'm figuring as long as I've got the little Burro well sealed up I should be OK, but I certainly understand other folks' concern closer to the coast. Luck to all.

Charlie the Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Patty, I'd take that First Up down. "Seal" the leak with duct tape (which you'll remove asap, after the storm). I can just see the frame of the First Up coming apart and crashing into the trailer.

I feel for all of y'all in the storm's path! Take care!
I'm strong in Mary's corner on this one. We've seen EZ-ups, First-ups and the like get destroyed in pretty light winds. They turn into sails!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Hook it up and take a weekend off somewhere West of the storm.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
If you're concerned about the wind shifting your egg, add weight on the floor. The lower the center of gravity the more stable the trailer will be. High winds often topple empty highway trailers but rarely loaded ones. If you have a few of the poly storage containers in your house just shift them to the egg for the weekend. Just a thought.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm starting to seriously consider moving my Burro out of the storage lot, which has the advantage of being treeless, but it's also in a lowish lying neighborhood not that far from a tidal creek and is surrounded by a LOT of impervious surfaces. I am not sure I like the prospects of 5 inches of rain plus flooded creek plus flooding streets and parking lots....
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'm on the edge of the Ches.Bay. My boat which lives in the water looks like it's in a spider web. The camping trailers are all in the barn except the Compact and my work trailers. I'm making room in the carport for the tractor, it has to be under cover for ins. purposes. I have had two trailers damaged by trees due to wind thats why I built the barn.
One solution is to head 200 miles west with your trailer and spend the night in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. Then return home after the storm, at least you will have place to live if your house is damaged during the storm.
Got to go, I still have a bunch of stuff to tie down.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote