Uhaul is being hauled home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Here we are in Little Rock hauling home our new Uhaul. We picked it up today on our way home from San Antonio. Looks like some clean-up and we can use it. Tires are working well, lights are working. We can't tell much difference from our Burro in how it pulls. And a bathroom! But darn it, as soon as we get home, we have to go back to work and can't play with our new toy. But it has a name, Howie, for Hotel on Wheels.

We will take pix tomorrow and post them later.

CindyL
Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
HOWIE!!

Very clever!

Can't wait for the pics!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Cindi L.,
Congratulations! You've now obtained an anticipation sponge. Let lists and the "mod" process begin!
Please keep us informed as progress happens

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: "But it has a name,HOWIE,...Watch out for the competition and don't paint the roof Orange that's copy righted!!! and yes we have to work to pay for these small indulgences... TWO Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Congratulations! You will enjoy your UHaul!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
And a bathroom!
Wow! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the photos!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #7

Trailer: *Mac
Here we are about 5 hours from home. (I am Cindy A when I post from my Treo phone.) I just drove the UHaul for the first time. Seemed little different from the Burro, except the tongue is so much longer that it scares me a bit more when turning and passing. But that is nice, because we can open the Eurovan rear hatch all the way, unlike with the Burro. The wind does not bother it.
And the Burro is almost spoken for. The son and wife are strongly thinking of buying it. Until then, I guess we have a herd. Right, Gina?
CindyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
HOWIE!!!! I LOVE IT.... good luck with it!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #9

Registry
OK, here's Howie on the way home. And when he gets home and meets Jenny, our Burro.

Inside pix later. It was late when we got home.

Anyone know where to get the tire covers like the Burro has?

Cindy:
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_1.jpg   Uhaul_2.jpg  

Uhaul_3.jpg   Both_trailers.jpg  

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Howie is very cute; can't wait to see the interior. Is Jenny being displaced by her new big brother?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #11

Registry
Yes, much though we like Jenny, we wanted more space and a bathroom. We are negotiating with our son and wife. We think that they want to buy her. We don't have space to keep both of them indefinitely in the city, and their tug is too small to pull something really heavy.

CindyL
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #12

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Howie the 'Hauler!
Love the name...very clever!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #13

Registry
Kevin could not resist tackling the new trailer today. He pulled up the carpet, removed the cushions, and pulled up the covering that was over the stove. They had removed the propane to use only electricity. We plan to return it to propane. The cushions are not in bad shape. Because the coverings have zippers, we can take them off and have them cleaned. I might want to eventually recover them though.

We already had an offer from a neighbor for the Burro. A little neighbor girl begged her parents to buy that cute, little trailer.

Here's inside pix of the UHaul as we start to work with it. We have to figure out where to put things like the microwave. And we plan to pull up the water tank in the middle of the floor. The previous owners obviously left the bed up all the time and hid a larger water tank beneath it. There is a tiny water heater beneath one side of the diningroom bench too. Might look into something that takes less room.

The fun begins.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom_2.jpg   big_tank.jpg  

front_table_2.jpg   stove_cover.jpg  

water_heater.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi, Cindy. I'd like to hear more about how you post and read messages on this forum using your Treo. I have one with Sprint network and data plan. Are you using email or browser, and which client? Any other tips you can share? TIA

-KB (currently using laptop because Treo is too painful)

Quote:
Here we are about 5 hours from home. (I am Cindy A when I post from my Treo phone.) I just drove the UHaul for the first time. Seemed little different from the Burro, except the tongue is so much longer that it scares me a bit more when turning and passing. But that is nice, because we can open the Eurovan rear hatch all the way, unlike with the Burro. The wind does not bother it.
And the Burro is almost spoken for. The son and wife are strongly thinking of buying it. Until then, I guess we have a herd. Right, Gina?
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #15

Registry
I can do it two ways. I have Verizon with a data plan and can directly post from my Treo through the browser. I could probably post pix too, but I have not tried this. The easiest way to post using my Treo is with a program we downloaded that works on my hubby's laptop (We both have Macs that are Intel Macs and run Windows also.). I think it costs something like $35.00 to download. It is a Windows program called PDAnet that powers the Internet on the computer through the Hotsync cable. Most of the time it has been fairly acceptable connection time, except for the last time when it was so slow that it was intolerable. I think we had a poor phone signal.

Not sure how/if this works with Sprint.

CindyL
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Thanks, Cindy.

I also see the RSS button at the bottom of each page but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it. I'm told this works like email, which you didn't mention. Do you have any insight about this?

BTW I was able to read your post from my Treo via email because I finally got the notifications set up correctly. When I tried following the link to this topic on the Treo is was pretty slow, not surprisingly. I switched to Lo-Fi mode, which was much better, but then I can't seem to have the ability to respond to posts just read. So I'm back on my laptop now for this reply.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for bending your thread.

-KB

Quote:
I can do it two ways. I have Verizon with a data plan and can directly post from my Treo through the browser. I could probably post pix too, but I have not tried this. The easiest way to post using my Treo is with a program we downloaded that works on my hubby's laptop (We both have Macs that are Intel Macs and run Windows also.). I think it costs something like $35.00 to download. It is a Windows program called PDAnet that powers the Internet on the computer through the Hotsync cable. Most of the time it has been fairly acceptable connection time, except for the last time when it was so slow that it was intolerable. I think we had a poor phone signal.

Not sure how/if this works with Sprint.

CindyL
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #17

Registry
Sorry, I never used RSS.

CindyL
Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I switched to Lo-Fi mode, which was much better, but then I can't seem to have the ability to respond to posts just read.
I tried this forum on my BlackBerry, and the Lo-Fi Version helps a lot. I think posting replies worked, but the BlackBerry is still marginal for this purpose. It can also act as a wireless modem for a computer, which is a much more functional setup... if you don't mind hauling the computer around!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I also see the RSS button at the bottom of each page but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it. I'm told this works like email, which you didn't mention. Do you have any insight about this?
RSS is a method for "subscribing" to updates from a server, so you get them without having to browse for new postings; the message are not individual like e-mail, so it's more like watching TV with a TiVo (which shows you programs which have become available), where browsing a forum is like looking for videos on YouTube (you go and find it).

A source of information which is distributed by RSS (called a "feed") is received by a program on your end called a "reader."

The FiberglassRV RSS button is a little unusual (because it takes one more step than I expected), and caught me when I first tried it. You click on the RSS button, which pops up a box which says "Fiberglass RV"; you then click on that, and if your browser knows about an RSS reader you will be offered a subscription setup.

I don't know if a Treo supports RSS. Even if it does, you may need to start the RSS reader and tell it to go to FiberglassRV, in case clicking the "RSS" button on the web page doesn't work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul