UHaul Travel Trailer Values - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
UHaul Travel Trailer Values

I attended an auction last weekend in Kingman, AZ that included a UHaul travel trailer. There seemed to be a lot of interest in the trailer so I stayed long enough in the summer heat to see its outcome. The trailer was in very poor condition with obvious signs of previous accidents, sloppy modifications and general neglect. To my amazement the trailer sold for $2400. I know next to nothing about these small 13' trailers. Are they truly worth that much?

Here's a link to the auction pics.
Auction Dynamics of Kingman, Arizona - Auctioneer
Beeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Couldn't see evidence in the photos of the "accidents" you mention, but I'd say off-hand the price is fair. In clean, unrestored condition one if these can easily fetch $5-6K.

You can review classified ads and archives here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for data on used fiberglass trailer values. The market for 13'ers seems pretty overheated lately. I recently saw a very basic, older, clean-but-worn Scamp 13 listed in CO for $9K! Can't imagine they'll get that, but still...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Couldn't see evidence in the photos of the "accidents" you mention, but I'd say off-hand the price is fair. In clean, unrestored condition one if these can easily fetch $5-6K.

You can review classified ads and archives here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for data on used fiberglass trailer values. The market for 13'ers seems pretty overheated lately. I recently saw a very basic, older, clean-but-worn Scamp 13 listed in CO for $9K! Can't imaging they'll get that, but still...
The damage from prior accidents can't be seen in the pictures. The fiberglass was crudely repaired on the outside only, leaving the structural damage underneath untouched. The mess on the roof was still a disaster though. I checked the site mentioned above and the first SOLD unit had an asking price of $1000. It could've sold for less. The condition of it looks a lot better than what was at the auction. Here's a link to it.

1985 Uhaul Camper | Kendall NY | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

If that's the case, then, yes, I'd agree it was overpriced. Fiberglass repair on double hull designs is more complex. Not something I'd jump into myself at any price.

At $1000, though, I'd say either the linked unit has a lot of hidden damage, or it was a true bargain.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I imagine one of the reasons Uhaul did not stay in the camper rental business for very long is due to damage sustained by renters that had no clue how to handle a trailer. Ours had poorly repaired jackknife damage and damage to the rear from backing in to some object. We paid $1800 for ours and it needed work at that time. Auctions can generate a wide range of prices, sometimes fueled by buying frenzy and no knowledge of the item for sale. As with any old camper, conditions can vary over a wide range. I suspect the buyer of that Uhaul had no knowledge of all the issues they commonly have and the uniqueness of their parts, most of then no longer available
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

Arizona
Good point about the UHaul used as a rental, far different and more frequent than the occasional use of similar trailers and ordinary RVers.

Tags
uhaul