Ultimate Urban Boondocking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #15
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
As some of you well know. I cant stand spending money to sleep in my own camper for a few hours. Buy man, I'd pay whatever I had to to avoid a stinking Hospital. To many sick people and crooks and all.

Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I think there was a post here (pre-hacking) where someone described parking in church lots overnight. Tended to be in good neighbourhoods, adequate but not too bright street lights, etc.

I can't remember if they were church-goers and stayed especially on Saturday night, or if they took care to skee-daddle before dawn on Sunday!

We parked overnight on a suburban Winnipeg street, at my sister's. They all assumed we'd want " a real bed" but we preferred the Boler. Next morning, we were serving coffee to the relatives on the boulevard, complete with awning, sturdy little tables and comfy lawn chairs. Ooh, they loved our perk! And everything so handy, not like the VAST kitchen in the house....

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
If I didn't love little fiberglass campers so much I think my next choice would be a VW van with a pop up top, those are a close second on my list of favorite camping options. I know some people turn up their noses at urban camping and such but I have been "broke" before and know that if I were ever in that situation again I wouldn't give up camping and living, I would find ways to do it regardless. Life is too short to waste not having fun. Fortunately I can now afford to camp in proper camping areas or boondock where it is allowed but back in the day I had to be creative like some of the people they talk about in these posts. Granted a CEO of a large company doesn't really have a good reason to urban camp other then maybe the challenge of living on the thrift which isn't as easy as it sounds. I am just glad I have a decent job now and can provide nice things for my family and fun (and legal) camping experiences.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
One year on our way home from AZ to MI we found ourselves after dark in Springerville, AZ. Had no idea where to park for the night so we asked a local police officer. He directed us to a church parking lot. That's always an option that will also let you know if there are local ordinances against doing that.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Those VW vans (Buses) are pretty pricey if you can get a good one. I settled for a Chevy Astro conversion, now I have to change plans on painting the egg.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
we, too, have met people who swear by the overnighting in hospital parking lots. they also pretended to have a sick relative in hospital. but as much as they got free---or even cheap-- camping, they did say that the pesky noise of the sirens all night long didn't allow for much sleep.

to me---it's not the way to go. however--and there's always an "however"---if one is truly in an environment where the only safe --and legal---place to overnight might be a hospital or some other public facility, then for the occasional night, i guess i could see how it would be the preferred place to stay.
but i would think that those situations would be far from common.

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote

boondocking, dry camping