Uncarpeted Brands of these little Eggs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Uncarpeted Brands of these little Eggs?

Well, I'm new to the forum and what an adventure it's been getting here. I've been traveling for years in all sorts of things from motorhomes to step vans. I'm also currently working on a stealthy enclosed aluminum enclosed trailer build but I have more ideas than time or energy so it's taking longer than I would like. As such I need something for travel that's slightly more ready to go.

As a loather of carpeting the very last thing I would ever want is to have it on my walls (it's a bad enough idea for a floor). Is there anything other than the Lil Snoozy (hard to find in Arizona) that would fit my needs? I love the Snoozy having real wood interiors but as mentioned finding one isn't easy.

I'm super super sensitive to chemicals which is what has led me down this fiberglass path. So I would like something that doesn't hold odors and ideally doesn't have things that off gas a ton like particle board and carpeting covering the walls.

Thanks in advance for your help, insights, ideas.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
With my allergies and asthma, I've done similar investigations. There are many options. If you are looking for a relatively new molded FG trailer (less than 20 years old): Oliver, EggCamper (apparently soon to be back in production), Escape, Trillium, Airstream Nest, Bigfoot, Happier Camper, and Armadillo.

We have two 40 year old molded FG trailers (Trillium 4500, Boler 17), both with ensolite lining. This material is extremely durable. So durable that my DW has steam cleaned it (i.e., 212F) with no ill effects.

Other 20+ year old molded FG trailers that are double shelled or ensolite lined: Scamp pre 1986, Burro, Uhaul, Boler 13, and many others.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
On the other hand, owners of FG trailers with hull liner/carpeting generally say that they have no issues.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would be very unhappy if my Scamp's walls were covered with carpeting. But its not.
They are covered with marine headliner, but that is very different from carpeting.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
the Amerigo FG-16 trailers don't have carpeting inside...though they are all "vintage" and people might've put it on the floors. The inner walls are 1/4" plywood, so it uses "dead air" between inner walls and hull for insulation. We like ours; the big single-paned windows have 2-layer fleece roll-down panels for insulation...works well.

Photo showing stove & sink was the original kitchen; we took out all the gas and water, and now have all-electric and a large water jug in the cupboard below. We use paper plates made from straw and cornstarch silverware, in the hope they'll be easier on the environment.

picture with black & gray plaid shows how we altered it. Sealed marine ply countertop gives lots of room for meal prep and sorting. We just KISS...keep it simple, sailor for meals. Full time twin bed in back, another on the front side. In back, also, two dedicated seats, one on each side, and we use a folding table between them for meals and table games like cookie checkers. Mini-Oreos and mini-nilla wafers are a good choice for checker pieces. As you jump a piece, you can eat it.

We painted and sealed the floor...definitely did not want carpeting. I, too, have allergies.

BEST

"K"
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
No carpet in my Bigfoot.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Arizona
I guess no begins the process of finding, Scamp and Casita are fairly common in my area but I'm not sure I've ever seen an Oliver, Lil Snoozy, Escape, Big Foot and so on in Southern Arizona.

I'm sure the liner/carpeting is fine but it reminds me of those houses in many Cities with carpeting in the bedrooms but under the carpeting is amazing hardwood flooring. I can't for the life of me understand taking what could be a durable, easy to clean surface and adding adhesive and fabric to it and have it cost me more to boot. In Arizona with the heat it's just one more thing to go wrong, dry rot, sag, collect dust and so on.

I will certainly look hard for some of the other brands, if I'm going to be dropping $12k+ on something like this (that's entry level diesel pusher range in Arizona) I want it to be a good match for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Adam, there is a Lil Snoozy for sale in Salt Lake City Utah, one in Michigan, and one in Florida, according to the listings on this forum. I have a 2014 that I purchased from the S.C factory (a 4,000 mile round trip), and up until just a few months ago we had the only one in Arizona (now another one is in Flagstaff). If you would like to come tomorrow (Sunday) to Apache Junction to see what one looks like, I would show you our (all loaded for camping for the next several months).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Is it all shiny?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I'm sure the liner/carpeting is fine but it reminds me of those houses in many Cities with carpeting in the bedrooms but under the carpeting is amazing hardwood flooring.
I can assure you that there is no amazing hardwood hiding under the marine headliner in a Scamp camper. Nor is there any Shiplap . As for the floor carpet... yes, absolutely do not get it, and if you do, replace it. But even on the floor there is no hardwood.

Quote:
I can't for the life of me understand taking what could be a durable, easy to clean surface and adding adhesive and fabric to it and have it cost me more to boot. ..
Speaking only about a Scamp and any similar camper...

Because it is not an easy to clean surface. In fact its a very rough fiberglass with occasional loose fibers that can stick you like a hypodermic needle. And it is very translucent.. without some covering it would be like living inside of a house with frosted glass walls. And it would echo every outside sound. And it does not provide hardly any thermal insulation.

However the foil insulation and marine headliner provides all of that.

One thing you can be sure of.. if (on a spray mold fiberglass camper) there was a less expensive way to provide for light and sound blocking, thermal insulation, and an easy to clean, mold resistant surface that would not draw blood when your flesh hit a left over fiberglass thread, then the manufactures would be all over it. I suspect you do not fully understand the unique nature of most molded fiberglass campers and how they are constructed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Adam, there is a Lil Snoozy for sale in Salt Lake City Utah, one in Michigan, and one in Florida, according to the listings on this forum. I have a 2014 that I purchased from the S.C factory (a 4,000 mile round trip), and up until just a few months ago we had the only one in Arizona (now another one is in Flagstaff). If you would like to come tomorrow (Sunday) to Apache Junction to see what one looks like, I would show you our (all loaded for camping for the next several months).
Dave & Paula

Thank you, that is a really wonderful offer, I don't tend to drive very often but will certainly take you up on that next time I'm up your way if I haven't found anything. I am keeping an eye on the eBay auction for the one in Salt Lake well well so maybe we'll get another one in Arizona.

I am not known for being good at waiting for things, when I try and manifest something I'm typically pretty good at pounding the pavement and finding it. So I will try and just relax a little and accept that when the time comes the time will come and it will find me.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I am not known for being good at waiting for things, when I try and manifest something I'm typically pretty good at pounding the pavement and finding it. So I will try and just relax a little and accept that when the time comes the time will come and it will find me.
Well, this may be the time to let you know that owning a FG egg and finding the right one also includes the wait time. It's a very small niche market and looking for a year or more isn't out of the ordinary nor having to travel across the country to pick it up. Although folks do get lucky sometimes too. I looked for a year before finding the right one and it was only 80 miles away.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

picture with black & gray plaid shows how we altered it. Sealed marine ply countertop gives lots of room for meal prep and sorting. We just KISS...keep it simple, sailor for meals. Full time twin bed in back, another on the front side. In back, also, two dedicated seats, one on each side, and we use a folding table between them for meals and table games like cookie checkers. Mini-Oreos and mini-nilla wafers are a good choice for checker pieces. As you jump a piece, you can eat it.

"K"
Cookie Checkers, Kai, what a great idea! I think I will bring them on our next family camping trip!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Cookie Checkers, Kai, what a great idea! I think I will bring them on our next family camping trip!

If you don't have cookies, there is strip checkers.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I guess no begins the process of finding, Scamp and Casita are fairly common in my area but I'm not sure I've ever seen an Oliver, Lil Snoozy, Escape, Big Foot and so on in Southern Arizona.

I'm sure the liner/carpeting is fine but it reminds me of those houses in many Cities with carpeting in the bedrooms but under the carpeting is amazing hardwood flooring. .
1. Casita has carpet.

2. They do it because it is the cheapest option. Subfloor surface does not have to be smooth. Walls need something regardless, their choice is carpet.

3. Entry diesel pusher for $12K? Wow! Must be old and full of problems.

4. Expecting a used molded FG trailer to be in your backyard is unrealistic. I traveled 500 miles one way for one of my trailers, and over 600 miles one way for the other. Make a trip out of it! Hopefully you won't have to travel that far.

5. I know what you mean, I had old sticky shag carpet in my 1934 house when I bought it. Underneath it was the original heart pine flooring, beautiful!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
1. Casita has carpet.

2. They do it because it is the cheapest option. Subfloor surface does not have to be smooth. Walls need something regardless, their choice is carpet.

4. Expecting a used molded FG trailer to be in your backyard is unrealistic. I traveled 500 miles one way for one of my trailers, and over 600 miles one way for the other. Make a trip out of it! Hopefully you won't have to travel that far.

5. I know what you mean, I had old sticky shag carpet in my 1934 house when I bought it. Underneath it was the original heart pine flooring, beautiful!

I do totally understand the why, living in Arizona we have some challenges that other areas don't so when you factor in the heat and dust it just isn't my first option. It's likely the hardest surface you could possible restore back to new without a huge amount of effort. Ozite being a prime example (the ceiling carpet in many motorhomes) as those I've had "shed" so to speak, after a long drive there would be this Ozite plastic dust all over from moving down the road. I would vacuum the ceiling aggressively prior to trips to get most of it but man I HATED it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
3. Entry diesel pusher for $12K? Wow! Must be old and full of problems.

You can certainly get into some nice pushers in this range. A few months back I went and looked at a 1993 Vogue (Cost $385k new) that was in absolute perfect condition, same owners since 95, new tires, batteries, no deferred maintenance, built on a crown bus chassis, all sold cherry doors, cabinets and so on. He was willing to do $18k on it but I was too concerned I was getting in over my head and it wouldn't fit my long term goals. Mostly, I was scared to death of the thing but that was my own issue as it was super trouble free for them.

Anyway, point is, Southern Arizona is a tough market, there are many deals to be had here and a disproportionate number of RVs couples with a slow season that doesn't match the rest of America (summer versus winter) since nobody has the motivation to do anything when it's 115 degrees out so needless to say RV sales dip.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Uncarpeted Brands of these little Eggs?

From what I can see in 35 years, Arizona is actually pretty kind to vehicles on the whole. Yes, the sun is harsh on exterior and exposed interior finishes, but it’s also a pretty effective disinfectant, and the aridity mean fewer moisture and mold problems inside and less rust outside.

I’ve not found the headliner in our Scamp to be a problem. Fine clay dust is the biggest issue, and a vacuum takes care of it when we get home. It’s no more trouble than wiping the dust off the smooth surfaces. Of course, you can’t see how clean it really is, but I hate funky smells, and mine smells the same as the day I got it seven years ago. Good enough for me.

I do understand some people have heightened sensitivities. There are smooth-surfaced alternatives, and I wish you well in finding the right one for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the escapes have a soft vinyl-over-foam headliner similar to that in commercial jet passenger plane cabins... but a clean relatively new Escape 19 or 21 is about double your price range. we had a casita 16, the escape stays both cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather, and with doors and windows closed is much quieter inside when the outside is noisy
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I guess I'm lucky, I have one of each. Well, not carpet. My Scamp has Rat Fur, the marine-grade headliner material. Kinda reminds me of 1960s-1970s Velour. Am I showing my age? It's soft to the touch. Cozy comes to mind. Ten Forward has the vinyl covered foam. It's nice when it's HOT outside, but feels a bit 'cool' when it's cold out. Frankly, I wouldn't choose a trailer based on any wall covering. There's so little of it because of the cabinetry, upholstery and curtains/blinds. What's important to ME, is the interior layout. And that's how I'd choose a trailer AND DID!

Good luck on your egg hunt.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #20

Arizona
Well, I had a look at a Scamp today, 13 footer. The seller spit shinned it, a little black spray paint, some shinny junk on the tires (2017 date codes), a quick buff job and who knows what else they were covering up. The inside smelled of some type "freshener" which is always a tell tail sign something is being covered, a leak, mildew, and so on. I'll never understand why in such tiny spaces people choose to introduce petrochemicals in the name of freshness.

Anyway, it was a 2001, they wanted $8,900 which is whatever but the 13 footer doesn't fit my needs as I need a bathroom and my girlfriend and myself like each other just the right amount for a 17 footer but certainly not a 13 footer.

The build quality was nice, all fake wood inside but not too much to replace when I find the time. Overall it was encouraging as I've heard Scamps have a lesser quality than many other models and I still found it a better build and design than the sticks and staples travel trailers.

Now I need to find the right deal on something in the 17' range and I'll be all set.

Awesome community, I'm looking forward to being a part of it.