Unidentified Trailer Object - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Saw this trailer in the distance while in SE Arizona at the Whitewater Draw Wildlife Sanctuary. It appears to be fiberglass, but I don't find it's picture in the directory of Trailers. Any ideas, or is it an Aluminium Fiberglass Wantabe?

Photo from Feb 2008 visit, as the main herd has not arrived yet!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3727A.jpg   Whitewater_Draw_015.jpg  

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Appears to be an Airstream produced as a lower priced alternative to the the silver high end units. They were painted aluminum( a light tan/cream color) rather than the coated silver type finish. I believe the were called Argosys. I don't remember if they offered a single axle but from the picture is sure looks like an Argosy produced in the early to mid 80's

Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Appears to be an Airstream produced as a lower priced alternative to the the silver high end units. They were painted aluminum( a light tan/cream color) rather than the coated silver type finish. I believe the were called Argosys. I don't remember if they offered a single axle but from the picture is sure looks like an Argosy produced in the early to mid 80's

Martin
I agree with Martin
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
They were painted aluminum
I believe the were called Argosys. sure looks like an Argosy
Martin
Yes you are correct. It is an Argosy, and yes they were built by Airstream. They were a slightly lower class of their trailers with a lower trim level and instead of aircraft grade aluminum, I believe they had a different metal so they had to paint them. My brother-in-law had one for several years.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Mystery solved. Thanks!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #6

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Airstreams' beautiful aluminum bodywork is also their biggest flaw. Once damaged, they are notoriously difficult to repair. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but a die-hard Airstream friend of mine once told me that Argosy was a means for Airstream to recover money from Airstreams that got damaged or had cosmetic flaws during construction -- a little Bondo, a little paint, ba-dum ba-ding, you got an Argosy.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
...a die-hard Airstream friend of mine once told me that Argosy was a means for Airstream to recover money from Airstreams that got damaged or had cosmetic flaws during construction -- a little Bondo, a little paint, ba-dum ba-ding, you got an Argosy.
That's probably a Six-Meter Minuet (1974-79) or Argosy 20 (1972-73). They were built from 1972 to 1979.

Nope, Paul. That rumor has been floating around for thirty years. The other rumor is that Airstream used marred sections they wouldn't use on an Airstream and just painted them. That's not the case either. You can't strip the paint off an Argosy and find an Airstream. Argosy used steel endcaps rather than the aluminum segments used by Airstream. Argosy was a test bed for features on Airstreams. For example, the wrap-around front windows you see in this trailer didn't appear in the Airstream line until 1980.
Here's a link to a thread with some interesting Argosy facts.

Here's a link to a thread that discusses Airstream vs. fiberglass trailers.

And, of course, if you're really interested in Airstreams, one of our sister Social Knowledge sites is www.airforums.com, a site devoted to Airstream and Argosy trailers and motorhomes.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
There ya go! Thanks for clearing it up, Roger -- based on your history with Airstreams, I'm confident that your info trumps mine!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote