Unvented Propane Heaters Kill Again - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Again last night one of the lead stories on our local TV news was a crying mother pleading with people not to use unvented heaters. They found the women's son dead from monoxide poisining in his trailer . The State Fire Marshall said there was no CO detector in the trailer and was encouraging people to install a CO detector in there homes . The part of his (Fire Marshall's) speech that caught my ear was "If there would have been a working CO detector in the young man's trailer he MIGHT POSSIBLY be alive today ".

CO detectors are not a replacement or a substitute for proper venting and common sense. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #42

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
To all concerned, I started a thread on a vented cat heater hope you all read it and consider one of these as an option, when thinking of buying an alternative heat sorce in your trailers.
Tell me, why are people using these heater?
do you not have a furnace?
does your furnace use to much electric?
do you not have electric meaning a converter & battery?
do you not have propane?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Unvented Propane Heaters Kill Again

Gerry, the main reason is power consumption. Noise is a secondary consideration. Quiet, safe heat without power is the Holy Grail among boondockers.

With current technology and products, there is no perfect solution, only compromises. That's why we keep having these conversations.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Gerry, the main reason is power consumption. Noise is a secondary consideration. Quiet, safe heat without power is the Holy Grail among boondockers.

With current technology and products, there is no perfect solution, only compromises. That's why we keep having these conversations.
Jon , I would like to believe your theory , in that power is the main reason but after being a member here for 5 Years and reading numerous threads on heating a trailer , I don't buy it !
After all the posts I've read on this forum describing 40 ,50, 60 degs as "COLD" or "TOO COLD TO CAMP" , or "TOO COLD TO LEAVE THE HOUSE " one would think that every FG trailer would come with TWO FURNACES as a necessity .
I have read thousands of posts stating " Why we don't need a furnace" and yet the same posters are back shortly there after wanting advice on running an unvented propane heater in their trailer.
The same thing with boondockers with their , " getting away from the crowds " , "going back to nature " , " looking for solitude " ,
" wanting the wilderness experience " or my personnal favorite
"Free Camping " and yet they drag along in their $50K , 4 wheel drive truck a 3000 watt generator to run there A/C , TV , ELECTRIC HEATER , etc
They then proceed to lock themselves in their trailer communing with nature .

What we get here are excuses for poor choices , lack of fore thought and people seeking vindication for both. !!
After almost 70 year I've concluded that it gets HOT in the Summer, and COLD in the Winter , I can't change the laws,of nature , and nothing in life is Free.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Jon , I would like to believe your theory , in that power is the main reason but after being a member here for 5 Years and reading numerous threads on heating a trailer , I don't buy it !
After all the posts I've read on this forum describing 40 ,50, 60 degs as "COLD" or "TOO COLD TO CAMP" , or "TOO COLD TO LEAVE THE HOUSE " one would think that every FG trailer would come with TWO FURNACES as a necessity .
I have read thousands of posts stating " Why we don'the need a furnace" and yet the same posters are back shortly there after wanting advice on running an unvented propane heater in their trailer.
The same thing with boondockers with their , " getting away from the crowds " , "going back to nature " , " looking for solitude " ,
" wanting the wilderness experience " or my personnal favorite
"Free Camping " and yet they drag along in their $50K , 4 wheel drive truck a 3000 watt generator to run there A/C , TV , ELECTRIC HEATER , etc
They then proceed to lock themselves in their trailer communing with nature .

What we get here are excuses for poor choices , lack of fore thought and people seeking vindication for both. !!
After almost 70 year I've concluded that it gets HOT in the Summer, and COLD in the Winter , I can't change the laws,of nature , and nothing in life is Free.
My main reason for running a cat heater is the noise factor. Power consumption is 2nd.

In summer I like to get away from the city and the 100* heat, and find a place where the temperature is comfortable for some mild hiking, the trees can be smelled on the gentle breeze, and the scenery is better than what I can get around home.

I don't see anything wrong with statements like "too cold to camp" because I am not out there camping to be uncomfortable in the outdoors, and if it's only going to be 45 degrees for a high I am not interested in going outside so I'm not camping (I'm not spending all day in the trailer... I can do that much more enjoyably at home).

Not that I'm really disagreeing with Steve; I'm just looking at it from a different angle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #46

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
The power reason is not an issue:
I spent the whole summer working/boondocking in the National Forest with 2 deep cell batteries and one 15watt solar panel to charge the off battery during the day.
Now winter camping where the furnace has to come on more often would be more of an issue but I believe with a bigger solar panel it would work the same.
From the last week in April through Columbus day had not a problem.
I did have a Pilot light furnace in the Boler and a non electronic fridge working on Propane so other then lights for reading and paper work in the evenings the furnace had plenty of juice for cold damp nights.
Yes the noise of the furnace was there but like everything else you get use to it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane