UP of Michigan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are planning a trip this September to the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park in the UP of Michigan . Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of must see sites in the area , when is the best time for fall colors and how many days we should plan on staying to see the sites .
Steve, I have done some backpacking up there. I have also stayed right in the state park at "Union Bay Campground". I liked it because I could be right on the water. If you backpack or hike I would recommend going to "Lake of the Clouds". There are many other good hikes in the area of a variety of lengths and difficulty. The time for fall colors varies and you have to get closer to it to know it with any precision. My only comment on going up there is that I usually wish I had more time.

Be aware that in certain conditions and times of the year, the bugs can be truly nasty. I got the distinct feeling they were out to prove that I was not at the top of the food chain anymore. Heads up.

If you have not done Pictured Rocks yet, I would highly recommend it. I hiked the entire 40+ mile shoreline of the park and still think of it fondly. The UP has many great places though so I will avoid getting too far into that discussion.

Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
We have decide to visit Fort Wilkins SP in Copper Harbor, Baraga SP and Porcupine Mountain SP in Octanagon Michigan . We are planning on leaving for the UP of Michigan about September 10th and returning home about September 24th .I realize that there is a lot to see in such a short period of time . Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions . They are greatly appreciated

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I enjoyed everything about my trip to Great Lakes and all 3 Great Lakes States.

However, if I was to ever go back I'd definitely go back to Bayfield, WI and all of the UP of MI. I just loved that area.

Don't foget Mackinaw Island is part of the UP just off St. Ignace and it's a wonderful place to spend the day. That's a definite redo if I ever get back there again.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #18
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Last fall we did the great eastern loop. From VT we headed west and spent one night on each of the Great Lakes, followed the Mississippi to New Orleans, across the gulf and back up the eastern coast. The UP is on our return list.

Just across the Mackinac bridge we followed route 2 to a NFS campground on lake Michigan called ironically Lake Michigan campground. Cheap, with sites right on the lake. Very pleasant. Despite being on route 2, the traffic noise was minimal. Note: pit toilets, no showers, etc. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Take extra memory for your digital camera! Some great scenery. Oh and you might check on places to search for agates or at least check out the rich rocks and minerals in the area (even if just at a local rock shop).

Rock Collecting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Roger RogerDat! Mineral collecting in the UP is a must. The Seaman Mineral Museum is one of the finest in the world (See: http://www.museum.mtu.edu )

fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote