UP of Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
UP of Michigan

We are planning a trip this September to the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park in the UP of Michigan . Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of must see sites in the area , when is the best time for fall colors and how many days we should plan on staying to see the sites . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve D

PS: We bought a couple of Yooper tapes so we can study and learn the language before we go
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
There are waterfalls and lighthouses and many other things. As for fall color, since you live in Wisconsin it seems like your knowledge of Wisconsin color would tell you all you'd need to know. If you live in the southern part, you'd expect the UP colors to be a bit earlier but probably not much. As for how long to stay in an area: stay until you're ready to leave. That's what I've done for over 50 years. Of course, if time is limited, you'll have to make choices. Just go and have fun.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
The UP of Michigan is a land of wonder !! visit the Seney Wildlife area and we stay at the Seney Twsp Park right on the Fox river,,sr discount and a Very cold flowing water well,,We try to be in the UP last week of Sept & 1st week of Oct,,,for color..
Enjoy your trip Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer: scamp
Wisconsin
Where are you heading? Lots of great things to see. Copper harbor is a must, pictures rocks, lake of the clouds in the porcupine mountains. Presque isle campground is very nice and great water falls right there. Plus lake of the clouds is just a short drive

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
scamp2003wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Ready to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
There are waterfalls and lighthouses and many other things. As for fall color, since you live in Wisconsin it seems like your knowledge of Wisconsin color would tell you all you'd need to know. If you live in the southern part, you'd expect the UP colors to be a bit earlier but probably not much. As for how long to stay in an area: stay until you're ready to leave. That's what I've done for over 50 years. Of course, if time is limited, you'll have to make choices. Just go and have fun.
I agree with you on staying until your "ready to leave", unfortunately my wife likes a more structured trip . We have driven through freezing rain and snow on our way back home from our winter trip to the South because we "HAVE" to get back home on the day we planned . We are retired so going on a trip with an open ended return date would be fine with me but it ain't going to happen! She is willing to spend a week in the UP which to me is a rather short period of time to see all the sights but still better than not going at all. I called Porcupine Mountain SP and asked about fall colors . I was told that they expect them to be a little early this year due to weather but they would not give a time frame.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yah, you betcha!

Fall color dates can vary somewhat from year to year. I think I heard that Lake Superior is 20 degrees colder than normal this summer due to all the cold and ice last winter. This could hasten color change along the shore. But a few miles inland the effect will be lessened. And when you get as far south as Escanaba (an hour from Superior), their climate is much milder and their best color will usually be in October. My guess on the best time would be the 3rd week of September, but really that's just a guess on my part this year. I think a meteorologist would have as much chance of giving an accurate weather forecast for that time period as anyone has of predicting the timing of the color this year.

Nevertheless, there are some great places to visit. Bond Falls near Paulding is one of my favorites. And in the Porkies there's Lake of the Clouds overlook, of course, on the east side of the park. But don't miss the west unit, with the walk along the Presque Isle River and its waterfalls. The municipal campground at Ontonagon is nice, and it's right on the lakeshore (some sites have water views) with easy beach access. Farther NE in the Keweenaw Peninsula, McLain SP is another good CG with water views. Be sure to drive M-26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor for some great scenery, a picturesque monastery, and another waterfall or two. If you like raspberries, buy some thimbleberry jam up there someplace. Fort Wilkins is worth seeing if you like historic sites. Fayette SP is another historic site of an old iron ore processing setup from the 1800s, but that's well to the south near Manistique. If you do go that way, be sure to see the Big Spring, Kitchi-Ti-Kipi, at Palms Book SP, for a most amazingly clear and colorful pool of water; the large fish swimming 40' below you look like they are much closer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

I agree with Mike on the Big Spring,,its kool to see the fish in that very clear water.!! Ron
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Even though I grew up in Michigan and still spend the summer months in the lower pennisula, I had never been to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park (Munising, MI) on Lake Superior. I finally made the trip in June and took the boat tour to see the cliffs. All I can say is jaw dropping. Google it and check out the images.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
Even though I grew up in Michigan and still spend the summer months in the lower pennisula, I had never been to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park (Munising, MI) on Lake Superior. I finally made the trip in June and took the boat tour to see the cliffs. All I can say is jaw dropping. Google it and check out the images.
We took the boat tour 2 years ago and you are correct it is "Jaw dropping"
Old 08-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I thought about suggesting Pictured Rocks, but in late September it could be a very cold boat ride. The wind out on the water is particularly chilly. The boat ride is several hours long.

I took the 'sunset cruise' during July some years ago. We had a nice sunny afternoon/evening, and it was great. The captain certainly kept us entertained with dry humor.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I thought about suggesting Pictured Rocks, but in late September it could be a very cold boat ride. The wind out on the water is particularly chilly. The boat ride is several hours long.

I took the 'sunset cruise' during July some years ago. We had a nice sunny afternoon/evening, and it was great. The captain certainly kept us entertained with dry humor.
We took the boat ride in late September on a windy rainy afternoon. Enjoyed every minute of it
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #12

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Very cold ride in mid-June this year. The captain said that the previous weekend was the last time the locals saw ice floating near the beach. It was a sunset cruise and the setting sun reflecting on the water and the rock cliffs was magnificent.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #13

Boat trip at Picture Rocks is a very nice trip,,,we have taken it twice,,the last time was very rough Seas,,,eat light before you go ??
-----------
Ron
Old 08-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Take a tour of the Quincy Mine, it is just north of Hancock. Check the weather report before heading to Copper Harbor, it has its own weather system.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are planning a trip this September to the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park in the UP of Michigan . Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of must see sites in the area , when is the best time for fall colors and how many days we should plan on staying to see the sites .
Steve, I have done some backpacking up there. I have also stayed right in the state park at "Union Bay Campground". I liked it because I could be right on the water. If you backpack or hike I would recommend going to "Lake of the Clouds". There are many other good hikes in the area of a variety of lengths and difficulty. The time for fall colors varies and you have to get closer to it to know it with any precision. My only comment on going up there is that I usually wish I had more time.

Be aware that in certain conditions and times of the year, the bugs can be truly nasty. I got the distinct feeling they were out to prove that I was not at the top of the food chain anymore. Heads up.

If you have not done Pictured Rocks yet, I would highly recommend it. I hiked the entire 40+ mile shoreline of the park and still think of it fondly. The UP has many great places though so I will avoid getting too far into that discussion.

Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

NW Wisconsin
We have decide to visit Fort Wilkins SP in Copper Harbor, Baraga SP and Porcupine Mountain SP in Octanagon Michigan . We are planning on leaving for the UP of Michigan about September 10th and returning home about September 24th .I realize that there is a lot to see in such a short period of time . Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions . They are greatly appreciated
Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I enjoyed everything about my trip to Great Lakes and all 3 Great Lakes States.

However, if I was to ever go back I'd definitely go back to Bayfield, WI and all of the UP of MI. I just loved that area.

Don't foget Mackinaw Island is part of the UP just off St. Ignace and it's a wonderful place to spend the day. That's a definite redo if I ever get back there again.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Last fall we did the great eastern loop. From VT we headed west and spent one night on each of the Great Lakes, followed the Mississippi to New Orleans, across the gulf and back up the eastern coast. The UP is on our return list.

Just across the Mackinac bridge we followed route 2 to a NFS campground on lake Michigan called ironically Lake Michigan campground. Cheap, with sites right on the lake. Very pleasant. Despite being on route 2, the traffic noise was minimal. Note: pit toilets, no showers, etc. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Take extra memory for your digital camera! Some great scenery. Oh and you might check on places to search for agates or at least check out the rich rocks and minerals in the area (even if just at a local rock shop).

Rock Collecting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Roger RogerDat! Mineral collecting in the UP is a must. The Seaman Mineral Museum is one of the finest in the world (See: http://www.museum.mtu.edu )
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote