Up sizing or downsizing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Up sizing or downsizing?

Hi all,

We had a wonderful 10 days at Payne's Prairie Preserve State Park in Florida, just south of Gainesville. Great response to the bat acoustic mini-course and the following week graduate seminar.

Eeee now an additional Bolivian Ph.D. student working on bats added to the new Costa Rican Ph.D. and the Peruvian I have been working with for a few years. Time to retire? Gotta keep the mind functioning.

Wow at one point at Payne's Prarie there were 4 yes F O U R! Scamps in the campground and an Oliver Elite II!

Ok, the Oliver is WAY to heavy to tow with our Ford Flex. All the other Scampers with 13s were happy as clams.

So we are still in the mode (at least I am) of upsizing to a 19' Escape. Scamp's 19 is a 5th wheel and I do not want to buy a new pick-em-up truck. Besides our Flexy is just over a year old, OK with 23K miles on her, most pulling the Scamp she is reliable... almost.

Some aspects of Ford's proprietary navigation system leave a lot to be desired as it rarely finds state camp grounds. Well as wi say in Belize "Dot be "El Torro poopoo" Fo tru Mon.

Downsizing seems out of the question for 4-4.5 months of "part-time" Full-Timing.

I just saw this:

Ok, Not an option!

Hoping that Scamp Camp at Sebring will have a 19 Escape that Carolyn can look at. There is a new 2017 Escape owner in Venice Florida where we will be in a few weeks that also may be an option for her to see one up close and personal.

Now we are in St. Augustine and Monday heading to Lake Louisa State Park for 4 days, then the SKP park in Wauchula to visit Norm and Ginny and likely the Scamp Camp.

Then for a month in Venice at a commercial site with elec. & water but no sewer. Guess that is what one can expect with lack of planning in advance.

Well, we have 90 days reserved for next winter on Jekyll again but hopefully will come to our senses and head to the SW again rather than the SE US.

Cheers,
Bat Dude and Co.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
LOL, after the ice storm you're going back to Jekyll ??? We cancelled all our future reservations there. Today we were wandering around the historic district and met a lady that was in the campground, and of all things is on our old site. Told her she could have it as long as she wanted but she isn't staying long. Will your Ford Flex be big enough to tow an Escape? Time to trade for an Expedition??
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Jekyll?

Hi Bob & Mary,

At the point risking TMI, Jekyll is currently just a "Place holder."

Next winter away from Mich. we may try to do the same as you planned and rent a condo and park whatever rig we have at the time. Or perhaps we will head to SW U.S.

FYI we are not even close to giving up on FG traveling.

We met some great people this year through the Jekyll Island Arts Association. Apparently, there is a great yoga group there that we were unfamiliar with in years past. Also, a meditation group that discovered and joined only weeks before we continued to pull south.

We do not want to ever repeat an ice storm with all those old trees at JI Campground. Seems every year with wind something bad drops on top of someone's rig or TV.

I did join the JIAA and had 4 paintings in the gallery last year. Carolyn thought there were a number of interesting classes offered as well.

After 3 years at the JI Campground, we remain outsiders of the "old timers clique" who have been coming for 15+ years. However, we really love the island. We did meet Hal and Dorothy again during our last stay and had lunch.

Yes, the Flex can tow 4,500 w/o an issue so a 19 Escape will be fine. An Escape 21 would be possible but on the cusp of the tow limits and would have to be loaded very carefully.

When we replaced our old FreestyleTV (2,000 tow limit) in 2016 we looked at the range of Fords. Only the FS had the interior space we needed once the 3rd row of seats were removed. Even the humongous Expedition, while having the bigger engine had less interior space. Also, there was no easy way to remove those fully automated folding seats on the other Ford options.

I think the extra 3' of interior space in the Escape 19 would be great. Looking at the other FG rigs; Oliver, Big Foot, Parkliner in the 18-22' size range all will exceed tow capacity so only the Escape is in the acceptable range.

Bummer that if we order one the potential delivery is now ~ July 2018!
May not be a big issue as we like the Mich. summer so it would just a question of how to get one home and sell the Scamp. Now sporting new Fiamma awning, factory mounting brackets, bathroom and kitchen faucets and other replacements etc. While we maintain the small is beautiful mantra, after many years of 4+ months living it does seem that the interior space has shrunk and marginal for the 3 of us

Sure we will cross paths again in the future.

CHeers,

B. C. & E
Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Yes, the Flex can tow 4,500 w/o an issue so a 19 Escape will be fine. An Escape 21 would be possible but on the cusp of the tow limits and would have to be loaded very carefully.

. . .

I think the extra 3' of interior space in the Escape 19 would be great. Looking at the other FG rigs; Oliver, Big Foot, Parkliner in the 18-22' size range all will exceed tow capacity so only the Escape is in the acceptable range.
I heard rumors that Parkliner would be coming out with a 20' with the new ownership, but hadn't heard any detail, and see none on their (still old) website. Did you get specs & numbers someplace? The only 15' in the "real world weights" data is 2650 lbs IIRC (although that could be optioned out but mostly empty) and I think there was a statement that they expected another 1-200 lbs on the 16', so I wouldn't think you'd expect to max the Flex with a 16' if an Escape 19 would pose no problem.

Just curious.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Bummer that if we order one the potential delivery is now ~ July 2018!
If they're offering July delivery on a 19 ordered today, that's a historically short wait. I'd jump on it. Ours took 9 months back in 2014/2015, and just awhile back before the factory expansion the wait was over one year!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I started with an EggCamper, 17 foot, and upsized to an Escape 19. The dinette in the EggCamper converts to s bed for one but is too short for an adult. My son and his dog sometimes go with me. He/they had to sleep on the floor. FWIW the EggCamper does not have a door on the bathroom and the fridge is tiny. In my Escape 19 the dinette seats 4 and sleeps 2. Has a decent size fridge and a door on the bathroom.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
just right

our 13f scamper is just right. nothing more wanted or needed here!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #8

Missouri
camper length

somewhere I read a guy was tugging a 40f 5er and wanted to do boondocking I guess anything is possible

bob
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you don't want to upsize don't go looking at the new Escapes. Their beautiful Fiberglass work is so nice it will suck you in and not let you go. Its a big piece of eye candy. If I had a pot of gold at the end of my rainbow I would order one.

Out west here it seems to be a trend for the last couple of years, Casitas owners to sell off and start buying Escapes.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If you don't want to upsize don't go looking at the new Escapes. Their beautiful Fiberglass work is so nice it will suck you in and not let you go. Its a big piece of eye candy. If I had a pot of gold at the end of my rainbow I would order one.

Out west here it seems to be a trend for the last couple of years, Casitas owners to sell off and start buying Escapes.
We own a 17 ft Casita and have long been thinking of getting a larger trailer.. The choices in FG trailers above 17 feet are rather limited and the cost to gain a couple of feet would be an additional $20K to $40K. + taxes .
Due to health issues our time camping has dropped dramatically so buying an expensive trailer just to have it sit in our driveway does not make sense.
Everytime we get to the edge of buying a bigger trailer , common sense pulls us back to safety.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

Missouri
steve I see those nice rigs I get dreams about them then yes common sense kicks in at 76 I would never get all that much use out of it. maybe that much money resting on the drive way camping wouldn't be so much fun any longer.

if I had my way I would still be in our cabella s alasken guide tent but my back wont handle it! so the 13f is close.

bob
Old 02-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Bob. I bought my Escape 19 three years ago. Spent one AZ winter in it, have travelled a lot with it. I have back issues too. I’m 81, old enough to be your elder brother. Not gonna quit until mind or body force it. My younger son will inherit my Escape.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

Missouri
3rd trip

3rd trip to the back mechanic 2nd trip rods and bunch of stuff, a year later lost another disc above the rods so 3rd trip do it all over again longer rods this time not so good.

I just renewed my drivers license for another 5 years hope I last but I want if I can get in shape again one more tenting trip to Europe. lots of bending and stopping with that set-up but oh so worth it!

thanks for the comments

bob
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #14

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Done upsizing (I hope).

Great comments all.

We are on trailer # 3 over 8 years.

#1 Casita 17SD
#2 Escape 19
#3 is a Bigfoot 25 rear queen.

We happened upon #3 last year in Phoenix on Craigslist. Sold the Escape 19 and this is the end of the line for Molded Fiberglass. We werent looking for it per se, had just taken # 2 to Chilliwack for some upgrades and repairs. But it was too good to pass up.

More space is nicer, and we really like the dry bath, walk around bed, no more climbing over, and BIG tanks. We can dry camp a long time between fill ups/emptying.

But there are drawbacks too. We felt the F150 was "capable" but too small. Had to add Timbrens to the rear suspension and the mileage went way down. Towing near a tug's limit is harder on the drivetrain. Something we didn't consider. Pulling up hills it did fine, but downhill was a lot more braking. Gearing down had less effect on the heavier trailer. So we ended up getting a bigger truck, mo money.

It is not really harder to manuver but took getting used to. I am hoping this is the last one, but I've learned not to second guess myself on thse things.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #15

Missouri
upsizing downsizing

I have been the 5th wheel trip, done the 40f conversion bus learning to drive a beast learning to double clutch learning to drive one of the worst roads I have ever traveled in ark with this 26000lb beast was the limit in my book.

got a tent, tented every state including Alaska and Hawaii plus 4 trips to Europe using this tent was just so much fun. now health issues forced me to a small 13f scamper.

personally of all of it I chose the tent I have rented a fiat 500 for these jaunts in Europe not for extreme winter but it will withstand about anything else.

bob
Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I went from tents to an Escape 17 for 6 years, and this year moved to an Escape 21. While I likes the maneuverability of the 17, I wanted a 4 person dinette & permanent bed, an oven, and built in microwave. I think I'm ready to stick with the 21, although you never know!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This post may make some people think I've lost my mind... but I've actually started looking at toy haulers. No, not those big monster things, but a 5th wheel under 30 feet. It all started when I saw, somewhere on the WWW, a small one where the owners had turned the garage into a living room complete with REAL recliners. They sealed up the rear door and put in a big egress window in the ramp door. The roof was a bit domed fiberglass and the rest was aluminum, including the interior framing, steel frame. When I saw this, I wasn't thinking about the far off future and really didn't have a whole lot of interest other than seeing it as a cool factor. Now that I do, do you think I can find it again!?!? I wish I would have captured the manufacturer info.. dang it. In the end, I'll probably not do anything. I truly love my 1st gen. Escape 5.0TA... but sure wish I could figure out a way to shoe horn a recliner in it
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #18

Missouri
One thing I like about the 13f scamper is I can stop about anywhere and bed down for the night. I miss visiting with the tenters!

bob
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
but sure wish I could figure out a way to shoe horn a recliner in it
Wouldn't you have room for the recliner if you kicked out the cabana boy
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote