Update & ??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Update & ???

Hi All - Been several months since I posted here. Finally got around to ordering a new axle for my '84 13' Scamp. Replaced the original 'torflex' type with a new Dexter Torflex, 2200# (de-rated to 2000) 22.5* down start angle, with 7" electric brakes & 5 on 4.5 hubs. The old axle which had begun life as a 22.5* down angle leading arm with no brakes, had devolved to approx 10* up angle & the only 'flex' left was in the tire sidewalls . A month or so ago my grandson & I removed the old axle (cut off & left the upper part of the mounting angle bracket in place as it is much heavier metal than the Scamp chassis) & installed the new axle & new wheels/tires. I intentionally ordered the new axle without considering the extra 1/4" of the old mounting bracket as I wanted the trailer to 'ride' approx 'level' with the bottom of my P/U. Wonder of wonders, it is nearly perfect. I'll probably hafta make some kind of step or stool for my wife to enter the doorway but that's OK, it looks & tows much better IMO.

Now I'm ready to begin the interior 're-hab/restoration'. I intend to eventually make the rear dinette into a permanent bed (with under storage in plastic bins) & re-do the front bunk beds/couch into a 2-person dinette with porta potti storage under 1 seat. I've already ordered (from Scamp) a new door latch, 'pop-rivet' set for trim & curtain rod brackets, & door hinge renewal parts, as well as new LED tail/brake/signal lights (from e-trailer) that closely match the original 7" round lights, & LED side marker lights.

The interior 'elephant skin' wall/ceiling covering is pretty 'grimy' with some mildew spots scattered here & there, hence my ???. I remember some posters mentioned using a 'sonic scrubber' or similar tool to clean their walls so I plan to purchase/order one pretty soon now. Question - which is the better product, the sonic scrubber 'scrubbing bubbles' model or the 'pro' model, or is there another product used by members here that might do a better job? Also, if you're using the sonic scrubber do you order the additional brush kit for more versatility, scrubbing capacity, etc? I see also that some (many?) here use the Awsome cleaner for cleaning the outside; is it also good for the interior or would something like 'Simple Green' work better? The interior is in pretty good condition except for being dirty so I'm undecided at present whether to 'caulk' the seams or order new seam tape from Scamp. Gonna fabricate new cabinet doors & probably install new flooring in the 'walk-around' portion of the cabin. Probably have several months work ahead but am looking forward to getting started. Any help, advice welcome & appreciated.

Here's the Scamp when I brought it home in Jan 2011

With new axle/wheels installed

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
I replaced my axle also with a 22 1/2 degree down trailing arm.

Name:   scamp1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  7.9 KB

After Click image for larger version

Name:	camping014.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	40578Tows level with my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
1ab 015.jpg  

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
Great Job, Wow what a difference.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
Best mildew remover I ever found was a product called Tilex - but NOT the regular Tilex - this is the Mold and Mildew stuff, and it specifies that it penetrates and kills the roots of the mold. I was working on a small trailer that had been left out in 3 consecutive Pacific Northwest winters and it had black furry mold, solid over everything. It's called Tilex Mildew Root Penetrator & Remover

I sprayed this stuff on and came back after half an hour. Pristine clean. No scrubbing, no work.

You will need several bottles, but get one first & try it, then go back for more if it works for you.

Available at Lowes
BCDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Thanks BCDave! I'll give it a shot. Have a grandaughter works at Lowes so that'll be a good excuse to go by & see her. I'm not averse to using 'elbow grease' (done a lot of that over the years ) but we're at the age where any chemical/mechanical help is more'n welcome
Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Hey Dave - went by Lowes & got a bottle of the Tilex. WOW! that stuff works. Found out very quickly that ya gotta keep door & windows open & use an exhaust fan if ya got one. Will make yer eyes water & clear yer sinuses real quick . I tried it first on some of the wall covering inside the closet. Had a couple of bad spots there & they were clean in less'n 10 min. Think I'll still need the little oscillating scrubber tho. The 'elephant skin' has so many little 'valleys' that a simple rinse with a sponge doesn't get all the residual grime after the Tilex does its work. If I could just spray the walls afterward it'd work OK but I think it'd be too much work to remove everything in order to 'hose' it down. I'll continue to use a spray bottle & the sponge even tho it may take a little longer. The outside got pretty grimy & mildewy while parked under the tree(s) so I tried a little of the Tilex on it. Worked much better than the 'Awsome' & left the FG very clean & white but kinda dull. Betcha a good coat or two of wax will take care of that. Oh yeah, I think it's a good idea to use either nitrile or rubber/latex gloves while working with the Tilex. It ain't really caustic but anyone with sensitive skin might encounter problems bare handed .

I'd lost considerable enthusiasm for working on the Scamp while waiting for the title in the spring & during our terribly hot/dry summer. Now that the weather has moderated somewhat & I got the new axle installed, I think I'm ready to 'take on' the job again. Hoping to get it ready enough for deer camp next month. It won't be finished but it should be campable & that week or two should give me more of a 'take' on other things I need to do. Gonna remove all the cabinet doors & hardware tomorrow, along with the stove top, vent hood, & the curtain rod brackets. Then after the interior is cleaned up I'll check all the wiring & the power converter, install the new lights (interior & exterior) & find out if I'm gonna need a new converter . The old converter seems to work OK but it 'hums' quite loudly at times??

Thanks again Dave for the tip on the Tilex.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Harvey, if you're still interested in the Sonic Scrubber info, find it here: How much scrubbing to get that ensolite clean?
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
Thanks Donna, that's the thread I remembered reading earlier this year. I think I'm gonna go ahead & order one of the little power scrubbers (can't find any locally but there're plenty online). The texture of the ensolite (or whatever it's called) continues to 'hold' some grime even after cleaning thoroughly with the Tilex, & a mere sponge wipe doesn't seem to 'get' everything. I tried using a small brush & it appeared much better so I figure the oscillating scrubber should make it a little easier on my arthritic joints

Oh yeah, gotta give this thing a good 'bath'. It sat under the pecan tree(s) for months & accumulated a nice layer of mildew, verdigris, & just plain dirt. Moved it up to the side drive yesterday & wife said it's gotta look better if I'm gonna work on it there...