Upgrading RVs to Oliver - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #99

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
As I write this post, this thread (default skin) is seven pages long. I think I've read most of the posts... but still and this is MHO... There's something wrong with the words "upgrade" when speaking of moving from one all molded towable brand to a different brand.... sorry to the OP.

I own a soon-to-be 27 year old Scamp AND LOVE IT. I also own a 2014 Escape 5.0TA. Do I consider that an upgrade? No.. I consider that "upsizing." I have more space.. at least four more feet front to aft. But still, it's an all molded towable, newer forshur... but upgrading sounds (to me) like the folks that have decades old trailer are.... downgraded....too arrogant for me!

Love the one you're with!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #100

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Looking at the definition, "upgrade" means to replace or add parts that are newer or better. So it really has nothing to do with getting another trailer but improving the one you have. The word does not even apply as far as someone having the 17' and then getting the 23'. At least, that is the way I see it.

If we get another 19', I might call that an upgrade because it is the same model but all new. If we get a 21', however, or an Oliver, that is not an upgrade but simply another trailer that is newer or bigger, a newer trailer or a bigger trailer, not an upgrade. People start using such words and the incorrect usage becomes common. Ironically, they are actually trying to use the correct word!

So you are right, Donna, there is something wrong with using "upgrade" in many cases because it is simply not the correct word.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #101

Oregon
Cathi, I know what you're saying, truly. I KNOW Oliver is a top-of-the-line trailer. I'm not trying to take anything away from that.

To me (and right now these are my words), upgrading sounds arrogant like there's something wrong with any other brand or size. AND I KNOW, that was never the intent for the start of this thread.

Okay... so words are my living. I'm a communications facilatator for a world wide company...

Love the one you're with!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #102
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm with Donna - I always refer to the action as "upsizing"

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #103

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I agree that we should love the one we are with. But of course, if the Oliver has any features at all that your current RV does not have, it is an upgrade.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #104

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna,
To some extent I understand your feeling, like you I come from a lowly, short, used Scamp, though one only 23 years old instead of your 27 year old beauty.

I have often said that road time is more valuable than two more feet, because what you're likely to get is 6 feet.... under.

The darn reality is that life is short.

If you have time to wait to get the perfect trailer, the money to spend do it, but don't trade it for fun.

We have spent 14 years traveling. My wish is not for a bigger trailer but for ten more years on the road knowing it would have been better if I had started 100years earlier.

Nothing against new, larger, more expensive, Oliver, Escapes, or.... It's the trip not the mode of transportation. Safe travels and a nice additional perspective Donna. I do believe the original poster had no bad intentions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #105

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
To put it more simply, you can only upgrade a trailer you have. You cannot upgrade TO another trailer. At least, that is the definition I am seeing.

So a Scamp or Surfside or Airstream or anything you might buy would not be an upgrade, just a "new" to you trailer which may be new or not.

As we all know, we can "camp" in any of them, whatever that means!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #106

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I just I don't understand this rabbit hole were are traveling down. The OP clearly asked for input from people familiar with the particular model Oliver. Instead, we offer him quibbles over the word "upgrade" like it's some kind of insult to some members. Whether in his mind that getting a bigger trailer is an upgrade, or the technical differences are an upgrade to what he already has is just irrelevant. If some members can actually provide the information he's requested, then please do. Otherwise, this thread should probably fade out.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #107

Oregon
Thanks to all that have responded to my "upgrade" concerns.

Just get out and go... make memories. Maybe your "upgrade" has more to do where you go and do... than the size (brand/model) of trailer you own. HOPING SO!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #108
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I just I don't understand this rabbit hole were are traveling down. The OP clearly asked for input from people familiar with the particular model Oliver. Instead, we offer him quibbles over the word "upgrade" like it's some kind of insult to some members. Whether in his mind that getting a bigger trailer is an upgrade, or the technical differences are an upgrade to what he already has is just irrelevant. If some members can actually provide the information he's requested, then please do. Otherwise, this thread should probably fade out.

I understand your concerns Ron and I have no agenda when I say this but the vast majority of threads on the FGRV forum seem to go down a "rabbit hole" that has little to do with the original post. It seems to be a common occurrence. I'm not condoning getting of topic because I consider it rude to the OP, but many here have a different opinion. One can only hope with all the extraneous discussion in almost every thread that a few responders address the OPs question adequately. Frankly, I read very few threads here that do not take all sorts of forks in the road. I don't believe that it is necessarily bad when this happens, nor would I say it is good. It is just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #109

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Just curious if anyone here has upgraded from a smaller trailer to the larger Oliver? We toured the factory and were impressed with the new unit that is 23 feet long. Also, is anyone willing to share their experiences with this particular unit? I am not interested in the smaller trailers.
We "up*****ed" from a 17 foot Oliver to a 23 foot Oliver. Since it's a longer trailer, there's more room. We travel with three dogs. Maggie and Lucy are small lap dogs, but Reacher is a 100lb Doberman. He takes up as much room as another person. Bottom line, we needed more room.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #110

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Upgrading might not be the proper term to use, but I think we are putting too much semantics into this wording here. I would suggest we go on the intention of what was written.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #111

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Jack, congrats on selling your Casita. Now the search in ernest begins

I know all of this searching/pondering/acquiring is very personal and we are a diverse family of campers! That said...

On "smaller trailers" vs ....larger?

One thing i'm surprised that i've not seen more of is the idea of two-rooms on wheels as a solution like my wife an i are doing in our adventure rig(s). This gives one possibly the best of both worlds.

A DIY full size Van Conversion can be as affordable to get into as any typical SUV/TV i see peeps using these days (our AWD van's original loan that included the installation of our 24" fiberglass top for 6ft interior headroom was $28K). We have a full time bed and bath inside the van for sleeping at night, or taking a quick overnight up a trail to a hidden lake without the trailer.

Then we use the travel trailer (15ft Parkliner) as a great-room during the day/evenings. We've been playing with the idea of "Upsizing" (thx Donna) to a larger TT down the road (several years) and think the two-room concept should still be valid. What we would expect in the larger unit is not necessarily more room, but rather more capacity as some have pointed out such as larger battery bank and adequate solar, etc.

A side benefit to the two-room on wheels idea is that in the mornings i can get up and out of the bedroom (van) and head into the trailer to get some hot water brewing for coffee/tea and do some morning reading while Cari readies herself for a day of adventure.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #112
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've had vans and hate driving vans due to visibility. I much prefer my daily driver - Tacoma pickup. With only 2 people we do fine with 1 room (trailer.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver