Upholstery Selection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Upholstery Selection

Seeking input from those who've re-upholstered. Trying to choose between a vinyl material or a cloth fabric.

Vinyl would wear well - be easy to clean...cloth has a more homey feel and might make a better sleep surface - less sliding around. Both offer good decorating choices so that's not a significant factor.

Opinions?

BTW - I did a search and didn't find this topic but I'll bet Donna comes up with 2 or 3 threads within 12 seconds
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Fabric seating surfaces and vinyl bottoms. Because they insulate so well you'll get condensation between the cooler fiberglass and the cushion that will probably mildew on fabric. Vinyl bottoms are easy to keep clean.

Vinyl everywhere would trap moisture and get stinky.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter Crowl... I have redone a '77 Boler and I'm doing a '73 now. I bought Scamp cushion covers. They fit well on 4" thick Boler foams. The original covers were vinyl on one side but the new Scamp covers were not!!! At least with all cloth covers you can flip them to air out both sides. Here's pic's. of Scamp covers in a Boler.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
scampcovers in Boler.jpg   rockshieldartbyAlf.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sorry Peter, I couldn't find anything specific about whether folks desire one over the other. Maybe this topic will be that new discussion for the next person who wants to know

I vote quality fabric. I find vinyl either too hot or too cold and when I wear short my legs stick to it! When I'm home from a camping trip, I stand the cushions on the edge to thoroughly dry out. I'd think vinyl on one side and fabric on the other would actually trap moisture in the foam.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I've just rebuilt all of my Burro cushion covers, in an outdoor mildew-resistant fabric. I don't know yet how well that fabric is going to work because I don't have the burro on the road yet.

I found a great price online, wish i could remember where. Something like $8.99/yard. And then I bought way too much.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp cushions
Scamp cushions - $100 (Cambridge / Isanti)

Here are some For Sale--------NOT MINE
I have a full set of Scamp camper cushions. Except for the upper bunk bed cushion they are all in average to fair condition.
(2X)16"X46" - (2X)44"X23" - (1X )19"X74" - (1X) 6"X58" - (1X) 24"X74" This one has a built in piece of plywood to suppport a kid on an upper bunk bed. (it is also the damaged one) -
Their was a leak in the front window so the upper bunk cushion/skin is in tough shape. The foam seems alright so you could probably get by with a new skin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975_small.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	34283

Name:	IMG_9378.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	34284

Name:	IMG_9380.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	34285
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7

Colorado
Matt: Thanks! Excellent advice.

Alf: Well now there's an interesting idea. Of course it goes against the Natural Order. In the Natural Order I dive into a large project, spend all sorts of money on materials, then find out that there was a way to accomplish the task in 3 clicks at half the price. Of course by that time I'm committed to the large project that may or may not ever get finished.

Your suggestion circumvents this process. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Donna: Seriously? People have asked questions on the most arcane topics and you've pulled up multiple threads in less time than it takes most people to find their glasses. I seem to recall a comedy bit about a guy who was going to heat his house by leaving black vinyl car seats outside in the sun - then bringing them in at night. Might work huh?

Jen: Bookmarks! That was a good deal.

Kevin: Dang It! Too far away for a quick CL snatch and grab.
I could use the foam if not for the Boler then for other projects. Thanks though!! Since finding a full set of cushions - including two twin beds - in very good condition for $20 at a local scrap yard (they were in a Class C motor home) I'm like a slot junkie...haunting the place in hopes of finding another such deal. The foam alone is worth 10 tomes that!

Summary: I'm going to persue Alf's suggestion. After doing two Bolers I have to believe him that they fit and they sure are a good value compared to having them re-done!

Thanks guys... let's see - 8 hours from question to solution...7.5 of those due to the Overnight. Awesome :~)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
AHA! I found it.

housefabric dot com $8.95 outdoor fabrics

I used the plain robins egg blue in the interests of not making my interior too busy-looking, but now I'm kind of sorry I didn't look closer at the OD Galaxy pattern.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

Colorado
I like the Robins Egg Blue. The OD Galaxy is interesting but would be a constant reminder of what the inside of my head looks like.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Jen, is that fabric soft or is it stiff like outdoor chair cushions can be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
AHA! I found it.

housefabric dot com $8.95 outdoor fabrics

I used the plain robins egg blue in the interests of not making my interior too busy-looking, but now I'm kind of sorry I didn't look closer at the OD Galaxy pattern.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Jen, is that fabric soft or is it stiff like outdoor chair cushions can be?
Melissa, it's relatively soft. If you are thinking of plastic-like patio furniture cushions, it is certainly not like that. I would say it has a canvas-like feel. It's got a pretty sturdy feel but also would not be unpleasant to sit on.

If you would like, I could mail you a sample.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

Registry
Hi: Peter Crowl... The only hitch I encountered was the foam used on the front upper bunk, on the plywood, was only 2" thick. I changed it out for 3" with a covering of 1" thick Tereleen fiber stapled to the plywood. That filled the 4" Scamp covers nice and tight. By the time you buy material, zippers, thread and pay someone to sew them...Scamps the way to go IMHO!!! Hope they have some nice colour choices.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm actually in the middle of sewing new cushion covers for my 16' Scamp so I know all too well how big a job it is to do it yourself. :-)))

Some things I have learned along the way are:

If you go the sew it yourself route - the fabric is not the only cost. You need to add in the cost of the thread (you will use a lot of it), zippers and piping - you can keep the cost of piping down if you make it yourself but you need to buy a lot more fabric and the internal piping and it takes a lot of time to make the miles of piping. So the savings of making the piping yourself are very arguable. LOL Trust me it all adds up, not just in cost but in time.

The cushions are odd shaped making the cutting out of the fabric interesting and although your foam may look to be in very good shape there is a good chance its form has changed slightly with use making it a bit harder to fit really well. The foam on mine actually had a very light plastic film still wrapped around them from the factory so the foam was not stained in any way but Scamp had shaved down some of the foam edges slightly to get a good fit on the original covers. Lots of time needed to get the covers cut out correctly and making them fit well as no two cushions will be the same. :-)

The indoor outdoor fabric wears well and as mentioned it is a bit stiff as is all upholstery material when new but it will become softer once washed. Note though that it is normal practise to not to wash the material used in upholstery prior to sewing with it.

Make sure the material you purchase is washable. A lot of upholstery fabric is not. If you are looking at material other than indoor/outdoor look in the upholstery fabric section. Make sure what you purchase is not 100% cotton and make sure it has a bit of a weave in it - although it is very washable 100% cotton will not hold its shape or wear well and you may well find you are replacing it fairly fast. You also want to avoid anything that has too much rayon or unknown fabric in it, as it will not wash well either. Material with a bit of a weave in it will stand up far better than material that is smooth with no weave. If you use a fabric with a weave and plan on washing the covers any time in the future you will need to finish off all the raw edges (way more thread needed - not to mention time) including all the raw edges on the miles of piping. You need to talk to the experience staff to find an upholstery fabric with the correct mix of material in it to make it washable on gentle.

The covers that Scamp supplies are very washable - had washed my old ones a number of times - on gentle cycle and hang to dry.

I have done a fair bit of sewing and I own a very nice Swiss made sewing machine that out performs any machine I have owned in the past. I also have a great little Swiss made serger that makes finishing the raw edges easy but in hindsight I think that what Scamp charges for replacement covers is ***very very*** reasonable.

If I had to do it all again I think I would find a way to like the Scamp fabric chooses a lot more than I thought I did ;-)))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Peter Crowl... I have redone a '77 Boler and I'm doing a '73 now. I bought Scamp cushion covers. They fit well on 4" thick Boler foams. The original covers were vinyl on one side but the new Scamp covers were not!!! At least with all cloth covers you can flip them to air out both sides. Here's pic's. of Scamp covers in a Boler.
Alf, did you paint the inside of the front window cover? If so that is cool.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #15

Registry
Hi: Greg H... Thanks...I was off work due to needing a pacemaker implant. It was great therapy for my mind. I studied fine arts all thru high school so I put it to good use. I found a calander pic. of a sunset/sunrise. It depended on which way the trailer was facing!!!
The new owner was adamant that (a) the artwork was signed and(b) it stayed.
The spare tire cover I had done by a sign writer tho!!!
Attached Thumbnails
former Boler.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
We have been choosing upholstery fabric for our newly ordered Escape (actually, my wife has). She chose a material called Crypton. It is really nice fabric on the surface but it is backed with a water-proof coating. Should be perfect for a camper.

She found two places that sell remnants for about 75% off retail (retail is around $50).

Check newtoto.com and soasf.com/store/fabrics/crypton.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #17

Registry
Hi: Marv...Which model Escape did you "newly" order. I'm just curious???
Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Hi Alf,
We have a 5.0 ordered for delivery in July. That seems like a looong way away!
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Alf,
You mean that driving a bus wasn't enough to keep your heart running ?

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Greg H... Thanks...I was off work due to needing a pacemaker implant. It was great therapy for my mind. I studied fine arts all thru high school so I put it to good use. I found a calander pic. of a sunset/sunrise. It depended on which way the trailer was facing!!!
The new owner was adamant that (a) the artwork was signed and(b) it stayed.
The spare tire cover I had done by a sign writer tho!!!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #20

Registry
Hi: Bill K...A day at the bus races is enough to put anyones heart into "Atrial fib"!!! Mine wanted to slow down to much.