US 50 in Nevada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #21

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
50 is a wonderful road. Take your time enjoy the scenery keep you tank topped, etc as advised here. A stop at Big Basin is dandy but high (10,000 feet) enjoy Leman Caverns and the only glacier in NV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,

Our campground host mentioned tonight without prompting that West of Ely on Rt 50 there is a mountain called Garnet Mountain where with the sun at your back you can pickup garnets off the ground. Another camper said she has done it. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jim,

Our campground host mentioned tonight without prompting that West of Ely on Rt 50 there is a mountain called Garnet Mountain where with the sun at your back you can pickup garnets off the ground. Another camper said she has done it. Take your time and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the tip, Norm.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #24

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I lived for many years in Austin, Nevada. One year we made USA Today for highest priced gas in the nation! Not as bad any more I don't think.

It is open range, but now fenced along the highway in that area. Before they fenced, I didn't drive 50 after dark because of the cows and wild horses on the road! Stop at the Owl for Mary's pizza!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #25

Florida
Jim, This year I met an RVer that drove the road and said he had no issue driving it. Are you taking it to CA?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Originally yes, but due to economics, my partner will not be along so California is no longer a destination. Maybe next year.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #27

Florida
Sorry to read that Jim, hope next year works out. We plan to be out that way next year. No specific destinations other than Idaho's route 93 and the Chirachua Mts but next year is a loop of America year, 6th loop.

Safe travels in the coming year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanx,
Any luck with Scouter Dave?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #29

Florida
Newfoundland

Jim, I have sent Scouter Dave a number of PMs without reply. He was traveling in the states this year and his posts indicated some sort of problem making me feel the rally is in doubt since he has made no further posts and the potential rally is only a few months away.

We still plan to go to Newfoundland, leaving in mid-May. This year a lady founder of our park in FL with Newfie roots gave me a Newfie book to read. In the process of reading it I kept track of all the locations mentioned in the book and have decided to concentrate on that area of Nfld.

As well the lady gave me a list of her relatives to visit. It turns out that the area covered in the book and where her relatives live is one of the few areas we have not explored in Nfld.

Additionally we have spend the past 4 months in one location in FL. Though we have been very busy and made a lot of nice friends, I miss the road and actually, and maybe selfishly, miss time where it's just Ginny and me.

I have a good, elderly freind who once gave a sermon where she said as you age you become more of what your are, doing the things that really please you. I admit that being with Virginia on the road, exploring here and there, discovering little shared moments, creating new memories is at the very top of my list. It's part of the reason our home has become secondary and time together is the most important, time the commodity that's running our the fastest.

Ginny and I laugh over the RV experience while completing our 12 year on the road. Outside of our marriage we have never done anythoing for so long...heck I never held a job that lasted longer than 5 years...yet here we are in year 12 with no natural end in sight.. death being unnatural in a sense.

It's funny, coming from a creative business background, I often think about creating the trailer of my dreams yet at my age I am no longer willing to trade time on the road or "trailer perfection".

I hope my clear message is that time on the road is magical for us. I know.. I'm getting carried away. In my view the Newfoindland rally appears dead though we probably will stop at the Music Festival once we reach Nfld, minimizing our stay at the festival as we head to the far eastern portion of the island.

Wishing you well as always knowing you're loving your Escape 19.

Bhest to you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16