US Highway #2 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Stay away from US 2 in N Dakota, especially the western part and in the eastern part of Montana. There is so much oil boom activity that you'll never find a place to spend the night. We went through there ignorant of the oil activity. We did spend the night at Camp Walmart in Williston along with several others. I believe Walmart has stopped allowing this due to so many workers "living" in the parking lot because of the lack of any available rv/campground space. Other than that it's an interesting drive that we've taken several times. There are fairly severe length limits on Going to the Sun highway through Glacier. We once were not allowed to go through until we took our 11 1/2 ft pickup camper off our truck. It's possible that trailers might not be allowed at all.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
I just yesterday returned from a trip on Rt. 2 from Wenatchee to the coast and, overall it's not bad, but there is still a bit of 2 lane on the downhill side from Stevens' Pass. Not bad, but I wouldn't want to tow on it in snow/ice conditions. Unless you want the very nice scenery, I'd still get on I-90 from Spokane to Seattle.

BTW: When in the Seattle area don't miss the Museum of Flight @ Boeing Field and the Lemay "Americas Car Museum" in Tacoma. Both are easy to get to & fantastic.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
The snow on the passes does not last all year. Summer or early fall will be fine. Our pass on Highway 12 is most likely "bare and wet" today after having some good snowfalls in the past few days.

Plus, the highway crews now use a chemical that keeps the snow and ice melted pretty good.

I don't go to Seattle or drive Stevens Pass but there can be gridlock on the west side of the pass on Sunday afternoons from the Return To Seattle traffic.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #18
Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Live in Saskatchewan and have driven the number 2 east from Minot many times. And drove down to the Black Hills through Dickinson last summer. It was surprisingly very busy with the Bakkan oil field fracking going on. Having said that, with the sudden drop in the price of oil to $50 per barrel, its night and day. Like somebody turned off the switch. I wouldnt expect the traffic to be as bad as it was.

stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote