US or Canada map on exterior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
US or Canada map on exterior

Does anyone have those big vinyl U.S. or Canada maps on the outside of their egg? Can't say I have ever seen one on an egg but we are going to use them. We like the ones with the state and province pictures.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've seen a few, mostly on stickies. I'm thinking about getting some.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I bought one for our Casita, but mounted it inside on the side of the refrigerator (by the door). My thought was it would be a pain to wash/wax around it. When we sold our Casita I found it was easy to remove the map.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had one on our motorhome for Canada and the USA. We filled in in during our first couple of years and have not used one since. It was mounted on the outside surface..

Many people mount them on plexiglass and attach it to the inside of the door.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I just know that I will catch some flack for this but....

I think that they are great for keeping track of ones travels and accomplishments, and putting one up inside, where I can see it and share with invited guests, is great, but sticking one on the outside of ones rig seems, at least to moi, to border on braggadocio. But to each their own.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I don't really see it as accomplishment, more a reminder to me that there's a LOT more of this country to see! Seems like to me that I saw a lot more of these 40 years ago when I was camping with my parents, so to me it 's a retro thing, in keeping with my vibe.
But then, I'm a sticker guy 8)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1431347018.114974.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	83842

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree that the state and attraction decals we used to stick on out car windows in 1957 would look great on a Canned Ham of the 50's, but FGRV's are soooo ageless than no one would know that it was supposed to be the "Vintage Look".

Somewhere, my ex tells me, she still has the cardboard bumper sign that was stuck on our car while visiting the "Trees of Mystery" in Northern CA almost 50 years ago..... Whoop de Do...... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Probably not something I would do either, but please don't show my wife, as she loves using stickers for accomplishments.

I remember my great uncles trailer from 50 years ago with a map he built on the side of it, detailing where he had been, and they did travel with it extensively throughout North America.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

Marsha, glad to know they will come off easily!

Norm, we have an inside one which goes on with suction cups but now have the outside ones to use shortly.

Hubby says that is confusing braggadocio with pride! Of course, if you have such a map and have not seen most of the country, doubt anyone would take that as braggadocio.

We have seen most of the states and some of Canada when we did not have a trailer and would only be putting stickers for the ones seen with the trailer --- at least that seems to be the idea.

We saw someone's who had gone east and west through the middle of the country. I thought it was interesting that ours would be the opposite --- north and south through the middle of the country with our trailer. Of course, when you see someone's and it is almost all the southeast, for instance, then you might just know where they are from.

Sticker Guy, uh oh, I hope I don't take on stickers, too! They are often nice.

Also saw where someone said there were rules for such stickers. Had to sleep in a state at least seven hours, could include truck stop or such. If you wanted to challenge the rules, you could write the Dept. Of Transportation. They would take 36-40 weeks to process it!!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Marsha, glad to know they will come off easily!

Norm, we have an inside one which goes on with suction cups but now have the outside ones to use shortly.

Hubby says that is confusing braggadocio with pride! Of course, if you have such a map and have not seen most of the country, doubt anyone would take that as braggadocio.

We have seen most of the states and some of Canada when we did not have a trailer and would only be putting stickers for the ones seen with the trailer --- at least that seems to be the idea.
Cathi, We we're given a suction cup inside model but I recall it curled with the moisture. We don't have one on the Scamp.

I agree with your pride comment, we always had a 'sticker ceremony' when we added one. Also it provides a chance for others to consider what's possible. We only put on stickers for states we slept in the RV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
The travelogue map thingy is a great way to meet other travellers. It becomes a point of conversation, a great introduction; and most FGRV sort of campers are also of 'reno' age anyway. Our map shows we've geocached, and camped, in 9 of the 10 provinces and 49 of the 50 states so far. (Newfoundland and Hawaii, are still on the agenda - but, I suppose our RV won't be going to HI).
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like those maps when they're visible on the outside of someone's rig. Makes me smile to think they're out on the road livin' the dream some of us wished we had. Someday I hope to be able to add my own map. Right now it would be sadly lacking
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #13

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Martins, I love your stickers! I. Will have stickers too.

Where can you get one of those maps?

I love the refrigerator idea.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I've had one on my Fiber Stream for 10+ years. When it was new it looked nice, and was a conversation piece.

Name:	000_0053.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	83869

Today it is worn and faded and looks unkempt, especially the states colored RED.

Name:	000_1930.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	83870

I'm considering removing it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #15

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
We mounted ours on the front window and only put on the stickers for the states in which we have actually slept in the trailer in the state. Before she knew the criteria, our daughter was trying to figure out how we got from NV to WY and from NC to AL.
We picked it up at a RV dealer/repair shop in Grand Island, NE while bringing Big Ei from CA to VA. We didn't get the Canada map at the time as we had only been in BC.
We got a little inspired when our neighbor at the Silver Star RV Park in Vernon, BC shared his travel map with us. He (85) and his wife (xx), out of Red Deer, Alberta, travel every summer with a pick-up and 5th wheel and have covered almost every road in Alberta and BC. We got to share their joy when they got the good news that their newest great grandchild was born.
You just never know who your neighbor might be and what memories you will make when you are camping.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
Martins, I love your stickers! I. Will have stickers too.

Where can you get one of those maps?

I love the refrigerator idea.
Brothers Manufacturing in Redlands, CA sells the maps. Also Camping World and some RV shops have them.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
The travelogue map thingy is a great way to meet other travellers. It becomes a point of conversation, a great introduction; and most FGRV sort of campers are also of 'reno' age anyway. Our map shows we've geocached, and camped, in 9 of the 10 provinces and 49 of the 50 states so far. (Newfoundland and Hawaii, are still on the agenda - but, I suppose our RV won't be going to HI).
You have certainly gotten around! Hope we can make it to all of those places counting with and without a trailer. Doubt we can manage all of that with a trailer alone.

You can go to Hawaii and rent a trailer and count that!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I've had one on my Fiber Stream for 10+ years. When it was new it looked nice, and was a conversation piece.
Attachment 83869

Today it is worn and faded and looks unkempt, especially the states colored RED.
Attachment 83870

I'm considering removing it.
Paint it! or get a new one... Neato! My map would only have two states.. but, I'll add another one in the fall (and happily!) Dang work anyway...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

Frederick, yes, just get a new one. You will be glad you did.

Donna, two states. We have to get you out of Oregon more. Then again, you probably have more camping memories than the rest of us put together.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
We mounted ours on the front window and only put on the stickers for the states in which we have actually slept in the trailer in the state. Before she knew the criteria, our daughter was trying to figure out how we got from NV to WY and from NC to AL.
We picked it up at a RV dealer/repair shop in Grand Island, NE while bringing Big Ei from CA to VA. We didn't get the Canada map at the time as we had only been in BC.
We got a little inspired when our neighbor at the Silver Star RV Park in Vernon, BC shared his travel map with us. He (85) and his wife (xx), out of Red Deer, Alberta, travel every summer with a pick-up and 5th wheel and have covered almost every road in Alberta and BC. We got to share their joy when they got the good news that their newest great grandchild was born.
You just never know who your neighbor might be and what memories you will make when you are camping.

People are going to wonder how we made it from South Dakota to Washington and British Columbia when we pick up our Escape in BC.

« Google | On Ebay »