Use Protective Bags for Camp Chairs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Use Protective Bags for Camp Chairs?

I know this is a small cheese question...but have been wondering about it for a while now.

We bought a couple of nice, heavy-duty camp chairs in 2016. They didn't come with carry or protective bags, so I made some out of a roll of upholstery fabric from an in-law. (Better than using something from an outlaw.)

But...is it necessary? The bags are relatively heavy and have to be put on and off all the time...what do you think? Do they protect the chairs enough to be worth the weight and bother? Is it worth it? Would nylon bags be protective enough to be worth it at all?

Who else uses chair covers (other than for those sack chairs that really obviously need them)? Who doesn't? And why?

BEST
Kai
Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We store our camp chairs in canvas sacks with Velcro fasteners
The chairs ride in the bed of our truck and while the sacks get dirty the chairs don’t . Yes the sacks are a slight inconvenience but better than staining your chair or clothes
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We store our camp chairs in canvas sacks with Velcro fasteners
The chairs ride in the bed of our truck and while the sacks get dirty the chairs don’t . Yes the sacks are a slight inconvenience but better than staining your chair or clothes
Similar..we use the blue folding canvas chairs wh have their own bags..ours stay IN the bags to keep clean in the truck bed.
Our Gazells 5-panel folding "bug-screened" gazebo also rides in the truck bed IN its own bag, along w tiedowns and tent stakes for stability in wind..don't hafta hunt for gazebo stuff.

We try to keep Gazelle, 2-4 chairs and a smallish folding table all in the same area (drivers side) of the 'gear in the rear', as we call stuff wh we always put IN the truck bed.
I am thankful every trip that we sprang for the Crew Cab truck w long bed!! We had originally planned a "cabanahalf" 4x4 but decided the 4 dr model w 14" longer wheel base wd tow better and we wanted more stowage..thatk goodness we got it! The Frontier rides like a big ole SUV w a decent load on it.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
No bags here. Our camping clothes MAY be cleaner than the chairs, but the jury is still out.

Mark
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
I store my chairs in the bags they came in.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I always store my chairs in bags, and other things in protective bags if possible.

I buy new bags on Amazon when the old ones wear out.

Just bought a new Eureka Copper Canyon 6 tent. The tent bag and the pole bags are very thin material. So I bought a heavy duty canvas bag for the tent and bags for the poles. I am worried they will punch through the bags and into the tent if I use the OEM carry bags.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Depends where you store them. We've been storing the chairs under the bed in our Escape 19. Bags are kind of a PITA. If I stored them in my truck, they would be critical. I'm trying to move stuff from the truck to the trailer, leaving the truck available for stuff I don't want in the trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
General rule in our case. If it's used in the trailer it goes in the trailer and probably lives there. If it's used outside it goes in the truck and probably lives there.

As for bags, chairs that fold up kind of round and come with bags they live in their bags. Director chairs just set in on top of everything else in the back of the truck.

At this point I need to explain about the back of my truck, it has a "cap" or "canopy" over the bed, the bed is lined with carpet. Therefore everything in there stays pretty clean.

For the typical 2 to 4 day week-end Scamp trip I simply wouldn't fuss about it.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks, all. Good thoughts on this subject! I can see it's a very individual thing. Those chairs that fold up a lot and come with cases...we've had those, and it was never a question, we always kept and used the cases. We carry ours in the van, and use them outside. No room for them in Peanut unless we didn't have a doggy bed in there--which we do.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I know this is a small cheese question...but have been wondering about it for a while now.

We bought a couple of nice, heavy-duty camp chairs in 2016. They didn't come with carry or protective bags, so I made some out of a roll of upholstery fabric from an in-law. (Better than using something from an outlaw.)

But...is it necessary? The bags are relatively heavy and have to be put on and off all the time...what do you think? Do they protect the chairs enough to be worth the weight and bother? Is it worth it? Would nylon bags be protective enough to be worth it at all?

Who else uses chair covers (other than for those sack chairs that really obviously need them)? Who doesn't? And why?

BEST
Kai
Replacement chair bags are not a big ticket item. Look for one made with polyester fabric which is UV resistant and stronger versus nylon which is not UV resistant and won't be as durable.
https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chair-Re.../dp/B01GQFW83Y
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #11

Registry
Hi, replacement bags for folding chairs:

You're not kidding, it's a reasonable price for one of those chair bags. Polyester, eh? That's what the "outdoor fabric" I've found is made of. Great advice.

Thanks, everyone. Good things to consider.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
summit chair.jpg  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I bough these for the big flat zero gravity chairs, on Amazon, About $23:

Faulkner Black Carry Bag
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

Registry
Falkner Black Carry Bag

*FREE SHIPPING even without reaching the current $25 total
*4 1/2 stars out of 5
*Can put TWO chairs in one bag
*Weighs only 2.2 pounds
*Has a zipper for full coverage of chair/s
*Vinyl-coated polyester fabric
*Paul also likes how this looks
*Small folded size

Never even knew these things were available.

Thanks!
Kai
Old 07-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, replacement bags for folding chairs:

You're not kidding, it's a reasonable price for one of those chair bags. Polyester, eh? That's what the "outdoor fabric" I've found is made of. Great advice.

Thanks, everyone. Good things to consider.

BEST
Kai
photo helps a lot. There is a very simple, strong, extremely lightweight, UV resistant, low cost bag available. Head to the hardware store and buy some Lawn and Leaf garbage bags. They are thick, meant for heavy loads, puncture resistant too. The size should be just right.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #15

Registry
k corbin: I'm laughing now...we even HAVE those bags. Least expensive solution yet. We even TRAVEL with a roll of them, so if one is ripped, we have a replacement with us. And they're rain proof if you put the open end (probably closed with a rubber band) down.

Kai
Old 07-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #16

Registry
OK, happy to report, I had enough "outdoor fabric" (polyester, not nylon) left over from making wall pockets for Peanut and a big, heavy-duty zipper to make a single, big storage bag that holds both chairs, with carry handles. Now it's much lighter, more convenient, the feet don't stick out, and it "matches" the trailer scheme. (Gotta glamp a little.)

All of your posts helped me visualize what to make. Had never thought of putting two chairs in one bag until I looked at the big black one. Paul says it'll be easier on him. We're not keeping the super heavy upholstery covers.

THANKS, everyone!

Bag can be admired at the Sept 21 & 22 Dash Point SAFE.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I have identical "bag" chairs, one that has lived in the bag since 2004, and the other that never saw the bag after the first use. I have to admit that the one without the bag looks a bit more faded (although it might be because it gets used a lot more).

I really get tired of everything in a bag. I swear that when i set up a site, I spend more time unbagging than setting up! Same for packing up. I have tossed all the bags for things I frequently use, kept the ones that rarely get unpacked.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #18

Registry
Exactly, Jon! I really hear you on that!

We probably deploy those chairs one site out of ten...having one lightweight bag to contend with instead of two heavy ones that didn't quite work anyway is going to be a lot easier. They were only unpacked three times on our 24-day trip...and the rest of the time bounced around in the back of the van. (Though we really did enjoy them those three times.) Most of the year they live in a closet in our den...and come out for, say, the neighbor's patio potluck dinner (once) and maybe a firework display (once). So we felt we did need a bag. Likewise, we have our toasting forks bagged for that once or twice a year we use them.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Contrary to most who posted responses, we pack our chairs on the bed while traveling. We put a clean tarp on top of the bedding, place the folded chairs on top and place the "banana cushion" from the front bunks across the expanse to prevent everything from "flying" when underway. We have two camp chairs on the outer edges and one cot with a folding table in the middle. We started towing with a Subaru Legacy sedan and needed to save space in the car for other camping supplies.
Attached Thumbnails
079.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote