Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've had both.. well, still have both. I bought the 1988 16' Scamp when I was really looking for a 13'. Thought that was what I could afford. Funny how that happens!

Then decided it was time for something bigger with a better layout (for me) for longer, much longer trips. Had Escape build me Ten Forward to MY wants. ZERO regrets. Although since I've owned it for 16 months I guess it could be considered a used trailer, but it's still new to me. Just got home from camping for four days... NIRVANA!

The only time I've ever worried about what a car/trailer costs is when I know I'll be selling it in the future. My Escape 5er is going to be an estate problem for my daughter

I say buy what you want, can afford and your tug can pull. And I hope you have as much fun as I do!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
new trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Ok, I'm probably risking my life by asking this question. But are buyers nuts to pay the asking prices for pre-owned trailers? If I understand correctly, a new basic Scamp 13 can be purchased from Backus for less than $11,000. Why would anyone want to pay $3500 to $5000 for a 25, 35, or 40 year old 13'? Especially when they're liable to need another grand or two (or more) to refurbish them? A 30-40 year old trailer could need a new axle, the frame is rusty and it's not easy to tell if it will soon need repair, the cushions probably could stand to be replaced, and there's no warranty on any of the components (fridge, AC, water pump, etc) if they should fail.

Yes, the old Boler or Casita or Scamp can be fixed up. Sometimes a buyer might get lucky and find one that needs next to nothing done to it... for a while. One can't say the same for stick trailers, which may harbor potentially a larger number of serious hidden problems. But most folks just want to buy something they can camp in right away, something that won't give them any trouble. The percentage of buyers who enjoy fix-up projects is relatively small, I think, relative to the total number of buyers. So I don't get it. What are people thinking when they pay so much for a well-worn or even worn-out egg, when they could have had a new one with warranty, perhaps even built exactly the way they'd like it?
: Who in the heck is BACKUS? where are they located if not in Canada then it would cost a Canuck at least $16000.00 because of the dollar difference. Maybe most folks in the US can afford $11,000 plus taxes etc. right off the bat?
Plus one learns all about these little FG Trailers way more than the sales guy can tell u about them and u can make them the way u want them to be when finished.
Stude

Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: Who in the heck is BACKUS? where are they located if not in Canada then it would cost a Canuck at least $16000.00 because of the dollar difference. Maybe most folks in the US can afford $11,000 plus taxes etc. right off the bat?
Plus one learns all about these little FG Trailers way more than the sales guy can tell u about them and u can make them the way u want them to be when finished.
Stude
Backus, Minnesota... where the Scamp factory is.

I bought a new trailer and got it the way I wanted it right down to the upholstery fabric and Formica! You're just looking at the wrong fiberglass factory
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #18

British Columbia
Donna D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I bought a new trailer and got it the way I wanted it right down to the upholstery fabric and Formica! You're just looking at the wrong fiberglass factory
Yep if a Canuck came down there to buy that trailer it would cost your $11,000.00 plus another $3850.00 plus the taxes at your end and some more taxes at the border before he gets it home. Like I said $16,000.00 or more. So pays to buy used and learn all about the MH/trailer along the way. I have to admit breaking down in the USA or more then 100 miles from home is not fun but it can be like maybe in Death Valley at 119*F in the shade weather waiting for Good Sam to send the right mechanic who can repair the problem. 9 hours later on the road again turned out to be Starter which I said it was when the first guy showed up with a Battery.
Yep I call that one an Experience. Oh we have few here and there most times we were lucky and needed a rest from driving so u just have to learn with it.
stude
Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I got mine the way I wanted it, not only right down to the details, but I changed the details several times during incubation. I was looking at the right fiberglass factory. (In Backus)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
There is value in getting one "just the way you like it" through buying new. The features of a camper don't tend to change much so buying used in good shape gets you those features for less money. That has value too.

While older can mean work to bring it up to good shape, or even mean replacing things that don't often wear out, such as axle, wiring, or appliances I think most that are in regular use get maintained, those that sit neglected may need more work but should command a lower price. If you do the work on one of those rescues from barn or back yard it comes up to having the features common to a new one and that friends and neighbors is sweat equity. Hard to get that from a sticky camper.

To me the only reason I care about "warranty" is when I'm still making payments on it. If I paid cash for used I'm getting something with a bit of uncertainty but then life is uncertain. It breaks well that there be the breaks.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Interesting question Mike but I don't think there is any right answer. Yup, a lot of folks can be called crazy for all kinds of reasons of anything they might buy and not just trailers, me included . For eggs I think you really have to facture in location, condition, supply and demand for prices people are willing to pay. Also, as many have said, how handy you are or if you have an interest and enjoy a resto. I really don't care what someone else is happy to spend, only me . Just glad I don't have a boat anymore
"Break Out An Other Thousand".
Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #22

British Columbia
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I got mine the way I wanted it, not only right down to the details, but I changed the details several times during incubation. I was looking at the right fiberglass factory. (In Backus)
Better not let my wife catch you winking at me. I even checked out the Escape factory and yes they build a nice unit but way over our budget. maybe you don't have to live in the Budget world but someday you might have to.
New trailers, Motor Homes, campers, 5th wheels are all expensive so most of us can only afford the used units.
But just the same Donna D have fun in your new unit.
Stude ---Baker
Old 11-16-2015, 04:11 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know from past experience that you understood my post and that you got my point.
Of course, but it's always fun to pull your tail I enjoy your response .

Quote:
The $11,000 trailer, being new, has to depreciate until it reaches a point where the value is sustained.
I am continually seeing year or two old trailers selling for what they cost. Especially Escapes. With factory orders months if not years in advance I'm not sure there's much depreciation going on. It's a sellers market. Raz
Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Better not let my wife catch you winking at me. I even checked out the Escape factory and yes they build a nice unit but way over our budget. maybe you don't have to live in the Budget world but someday you might have to.
New trailers, Motor Homes, campers, 5th wheels are all expensive so most of us can only afford the used units.
Stude ---Baker
Most of us that have an RV use them for enjoyment and have it because of a want not a need. After reading your posts lately I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you looking to change RV's? Everyone has a budget of some kind even if a new 50K rig is not a problem. You have a class C rig, not a molded trailer you seem to be happy with. If new rigs of what ever make are over your budget, just saying, so be it, enjoy what you have.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
One nice aspect of a used trailer are all the little items that usually come with it. Friday night I went through the option list for an Escape 17. Everything's an option including propane in the tanks, chocks, .... I didn't add up the dollars but it seemed to be at least as much as a used Scamp 13 just for the options.
Do not forget Norm, your first trailer did not include wheel chocks nor propane if bought new, unless the dealer threw those in. No dealer, no freebies. But the big selling point now is the Canadian exchange rate, a good 25% discount.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #26

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget Norm, your first trailer did not include wheel chocks nor propane if bought new, unless the dealer threw those in. No dealer, no freebies. But the big selling point now is the Canadian exchange rate, a good 25% discount.
True, my used Scamp came with an after market battery charger, wheel chocks, second (wheeled) tongue jack, a coupler lock, elbow to connect drain hose to sewer connection, an inverter, a charcoal grill, and propane in the tank. As I was getting ready to leave, the seller through in a $200 Coleman screen house that had been used once, and a brand new tarp to use as a floor.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a well used and abused 16'Scamp and the total cost after repairs may well be as much or more than a very nice nearly new one.
However all of the extras I have added would not be there.
There seems to be a ready market for trailers with problems with floors, broken and rusty frames etc.
When I am finished I will have a better than new Scamp with everything new but 1/2 of a frame and the fiberglass shell.
It will be paid for 100% and have options not available.
Is it a bargain? Probably not, but it is the arranged the way that She Who Must Be Obeyed wants.
Without that there is no camping!
Is it really setup the way we need it? Who knows, but I made it so I can change it to fit.
I think it is now a 17 1/2' Scamp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I wanted new B/C I did not want a project, done work all my life. Plus i am not handy with plumbing and electric. Do not want to replace a new floor, frame and whatnot. You have to be lucky to find something in good condition at price that is only a couple of K from new. Was not willing to chase one all over the country looking for one only to be disappointed. Am not well versed in what is in good shape in a RV, so played it safe and got new. I like it and that is all that matters. Carl