Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting question Mike but I don't think there is any right answer. Yup, a lot of folks can be called crazy for all kinds of reasons of anything they might buy and not just trailers, me included . For eggs I think you really have to facture in location, condition, supply and demand for prices people are willing to pay. Also, as many have said, how handy you are or if you have an interest and enjoy a resto. I really don't care what someone else is happy to spend, only me . Just glad I don't have a boat anymore
"Break Out An Other Thousand".
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I got mine the way I wanted it, not only right down to the details, but I changed the details several times during incubation. I was looking at the right fiberglass factory. (In Backus)
Better not let my wife catch you winking at me. I even checked out the Escape factory and yes they build a nice unit but way over our budget. maybe you don't have to live in the Budget world but someday you might have to.
New trailers, Motor Homes, campers, 5th wheels are all expensive so most of us can only afford the used units.
But just the same Donna D have fun in your new unit.
Stude ---Baker
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:11 AM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know from past experience that you understood my post and that you got my point.
Of course, but it's always fun to pull your tail I enjoy your response .

Quote:
The $11,000 trailer, being new, has to depreciate until it reaches a point where the value is sustained.
I am continually seeing year or two old trailers selling for what they cost. Especially Escapes. With factory orders months if not years in advance I'm not sure there's much depreciation going on. It's a sellers market. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Better not let my wife catch you winking at me. I even checked out the Escape factory and yes they build a nice unit but way over our budget. maybe you don't have to live in the Budget world but someday you might have to.
New trailers, Motor Homes, campers, 5th wheels are all expensive so most of us can only afford the used units.
Stude ---Baker
Most of us that have an RV use them for enjoyment and have it because of a want not a need. After reading your posts lately I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you looking to change RV's? Everyone has a budget of some kind even if a new 50K rig is not a problem. You have a class C rig, not a molded trailer you seem to be happy with. If new rigs of what ever make are over your budget, just saying, so be it, enjoy what you have.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
One nice aspect of a used trailer are all the little items that usually come with it. Friday night I went through the option list for an Escape 17. Everything's an option including propane in the tanks, chocks, .... I didn't add up the dollars but it seemed to be at least as much as a used Scamp 13 just for the options.
Do not forget Norm, your first trailer did not include wheel chocks nor propane if bought new, unless the dealer threw those in. No dealer, no freebies. But the big selling point now is the Canadian exchange rate, a good 25% discount.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #26

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget Norm, your first trailer did not include wheel chocks nor propane if bought new, unless the dealer threw those in. No dealer, no freebies. But the big selling point now is the Canadian exchange rate, a good 25% discount.
True, my used Scamp came with an after market battery charger, wheel chocks, second (wheeled) tongue jack, a coupler lock, elbow to connect drain hose to sewer connection, an inverter, a charcoal grill, and propane in the tank. As I was getting ready to leave, the seller through in a $200 Coleman screen house that had been used once, and a brand new tarp to use as a floor.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a well used and abused 16'Scamp and the total cost after repairs may well be as much or more than a very nice nearly new one.
However all of the extras I have added would not be there.
There seems to be a ready market for trailers with problems with floors, broken and rusty frames etc.
When I am finished I will have a better than new Scamp with everything new but 1/2 of a frame and the fiberglass shell.
It will be paid for 100% and have options not available.
Is it a bargain? Probably not, but it is the arranged the way that She Who Must Be Obeyed wants.
Without that there is no camping!
Is it really setup the way we need it? Who knows, but I made it so I can change it to fit.
I think it is now a 17 1/2' Scamp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I wanted new B/C I did not want a project, done work all my life. Plus i am not handy with plumbing and electric. Do not want to replace a new floor, frame and whatnot. You have to be lucky to find something in good condition at price that is only a couple of K from new. Was not willing to chase one all over the country looking for one only to be disappointed. Am not well versed in what is in good shape in a RV, so played it safe and got new. I like it and that is all that matters. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Everybody mentioned the entertainment value, but what about THE HUNT? I'm always on the hunt just for fun.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984
Like yourself there are a lot of people looking for an affordable small trailer and very few on the market. It's called supply and demand. There are maybe 5 or 6 here in the Province of Ontario and many, many searchers. (That's an area bigger than all of Texas. )
We paid $4400 twenty-one years ago and have since changed the axle, painted the exterior, replaced the three way fridge, added a battery and propane tank, made it into a front dinette with permanent bed, reupholstered and re decorated the inside, added a screen door and made numerous other alterations. Why it wouldn't be priced accordingly? What kind of value do you put on upkeep? I'm thinking about new tires this year. It's part of the ongoing process of keeping the Boler in great condition so you can say WOW, look what I got.
Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #31

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
78 Burro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I do think the used FGRV market is over heated and prices out of line. But it is the market that sets prices, not me. I have always believed, and previously posted as such, that an honest discussion of value/price needs to be a part of this forum. Neither the cheerleaders nor the naysayers tell the true story, but it is somewhere in between and up to each buyer/seller.

A new Scamp like mine would be around 16K, and I would not have one because I would not pay that much. As is I have approximately 7K in my old Scamp paid out over a two year period. That includes the original price and a lot of new materials I put into it (but NOTHING for my labor). The Scamp is easily worth that much to me just for what we get out of using it. I couldn't care less if it is worth that to anybody else since it is not for sale and I did not buy it to flip. I am going to do my best to use it up camping in it!
As soon as I hauled my "new" Burro home a friend said "You paid 3000 for that!" He had sold an old trailer for a lot less he said but it wasn't FG. All i asked him was what do you know about FG trailers? I had been looking for about a year and a half and missed at least 6 of them because someone offered more than the seller wanted or lived closer and drove straight there and grabbed it.

I wanted an older FG trailer because I knew they would weigh less than the wood/metal jobs and I also wanted to strip it of all the heavy particle board etc. and replace it with cedar. I also wanted to make it "my own".

I have a 4 cyl car and want to have the trailer as light as possible. It weighed in at 1140 lbs. I'm hoping to have it weighed before I leave with it this winter.

The only two questions I asked the seller was how is the frame and how is the body. He said pretty good and I said I want it. He was offered 3500 the same day I left to get it but he was a man with integrity.

I have and do enjoy doing work on the trailer. Being retired this is what I've been hoping to do with my time along with camping and seeing the good ol USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Edison.jpg  
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
sometimes people do not have the money to buy new..so they buy used and fix it up....
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #33

British Columbia
molded trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Most of us that have an RV use them for enjoyment and have it because of a want not a need. After reading your posts lately I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you looking to change RV's? Everyone has a budget of some kind even if a new 50K rig is not a problem. You have a class C rig, not a molded trailer you seem to be happy with. If new rigs of what ever make are over your budget, just saying, so be it, enjoy what you have.
:

I have no idea how to change the Class C to moulded MH as our MH is all Gel-coat from the back bumper to the front bumper only difference is I got a frame which most moulded trailers do not have and I have a big V10 in the front end. I have had Moulded Trailers being pulled by tow vehicle and it is something I really do not want to do again unless I can find something small enough for just me or one for my sister in law.
If I could change the Class C to Class A I would but How? to do it?
I get the same problems in a lot of ways that moulded trailers do but in a bigger way than they.
Stude
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #34

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
In the last 25 years before our new Escape we purchased 2 units one a used 1979 motor home paid 7200 . Had it for 12 years improved with new upholstery, lots of woodworking , a new toilet and sold it for 8900. For a 24 year old unit . Bought a used camper for 3500 . Painted exterior ,new foam in cushions , new toilet, new charger unit just before selling , new refinish on real oak cabinetry , sold that for 5700. 12 years later on a 21 year old unit. Before the motor home purchased new a tent trailer for 3500. Had it for 4 years ,sold it for 4500. My experience is I never intended to make money on my RV's , but if they are clean and taken care of . You will have no trouble selling . In the case of fiberglass they will be around a lot longer due to their construction . There isn't any guarantees if you buy new things won't go wrong . Maybe more so today . I bought a new Escape and still have had to replace and fix some things . (Small things )I still change my trailer to suit me . You purchase what you can afford and go camping . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There is "value" and there is "market price". The first is what the seller considers it to be worth, the second is what the seller and buyer agree it is worth.

I would probably sell my 35 year old for $4,500 or so, certainly not less, well once I get the new flooring in anyway :-) That is the price I value it at. Is it worth that to someone? If so it is not over priced or over valued. If not oh well I guess I keep using it :-p
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #36

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandJ View Post
sometimes people do not have the money to buy new..so they buy used and fix it up....
Exactly. I didn't have the money to spend for new when I bought mine, especially not since new would have also meant a bigger TV. Someday I will and then I may buy a brand new trailer but right now there are other projects needing my money. But if I waited for that I'd have a lot less camping under my belt. I haven't fixed mine up all that much so the amount spent isn't too high- but it also means mine isn't as nicely set up as the new one would be. I'm okay with that trade-off as I don't see sinking a whole lot of money into it. One day I will get a new trailer or at least recent model.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #37

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
We own a lovely 2007 Bigfoot B17.5CB and saw on the internet a 2008 model sell for $28,000 usd just recently. We were thinking of selling ours but surely not for that kind of money! Even if we listed it for $24,000 cdn with 35% difference in the dollar it be a good deal for our American cousins. We're on the US border at Sumas WA. Not ready to list it yet but when we do it will have all the pistures posted.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #38

British Columbia
trailer and MH prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
There is "value" and there is "market price". The first is what the seller considers it to be worth, the second is what the seller and buyer agree it is worth.

I would probably sell my 35 year old for $4,500 or so, certainly not less, well once I get the new flooring in anyway :-) That is the price I value it at. Is it worth that to someone? If so it is not over priced or over valued. If not oh well I guess I keep using it :-p
If one all of sudden says lets sell and puts it on the market at a price that is not what most are currently selling for then it will not sell UNLESS they just put a lot of money into restoring it but they should show that in the add? I know that
even new to older MH's/trailers are not coming down in price like they used to so that is another reason people are looking around for older units and I also not this if priced to high they will not buy them and if dirty and not priced right again who wants a dirty trailer or MH??? not us.
Stude
Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #39

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I agree with everyone! To explain:
We paid a little too much for our used Trillium. I did check out the market before making an offer and it ranged from 2500 for junk to 6500 for pristine, fully functional, fully restored. We paid somewhere in the middle. I thought the price reasonable, given the market but should have checked the condition of the appliances more carefully. I've also done considerable restoration, including rebuilding the windows so they don't leak, but do enjoy the work. My most expensive repair so far has been for new tires. I'm satisfied with our work-arounds for the furnace and fridge - both electric and less than 200 dollars - but may look at one of the new Propex heaters, if we see the need. And I may add electric brakes. Even including these, however, I won't have spent more than 1500.

A new trailer of similar size at the time ranged from 12 thousand up. Plus options. Plus tax. And I'm guessing that our exchange would make them considerably more now. Moreover, I had trouble finding anything except perhaps a tiny teardrop that weighed less than the tow-limit of our car. Even the overpriced T@B weighs in at around 1700. To tell the truth, our purchase was also a bit of an impulse buy, but considering everything, seems to have been a good one, for us. It's fun, and at the price we paid we don't worry much about things like resale value.

The first good choice that most people here seems to have made however is to buy small. I call our egg, "Little Green", partly because I've replaced the orange stripe with green, and partly as a subliminal message that we don't need to bring our entire house along to the camp ground - towed by a gas-guzzling monster! Full timers might be an exception, but surely most of us can at least try to conserve!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:

I have no idea how to change the Class C to moulded MH as our MH is all Gel-coat from the back bumper to the front bumper only difference is I got a frame which most moulded trailers do not have and I have a big V10 in the front end. I have had Moulded Trailers being pulled by tow vehicle and it is something I really do not want to do again unless I can find something small enough for just me or one for my sister in law.
If I could change the Class C to Class A I would but How? to do it?
I get the same problems in a lot of ways that moulded trailers do but in a bigger way than they.
Stude
First, I can't find any references for what a "G30 Elite" even looks like, but I have never seen a class "C" that was molded fiberglass and also had a V10 engine. Tell us more about that.

Moreover, with but one exception, I don't know of any FGRV's than don't have a frame. That's sorta like "Boneless Chicken".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote