Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #57

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote from Post #51... But I'm seeing trailers that look run-of-the-mill, with 30-40 years of wear and tear, offered for half the cost of a new one! To my mind, such a trailer should bring only 15-20% of new, or less than that if they aren't in "ready to camp" condition with everything working.

It sounds like you are trying to equate FGRV deprecation with vehicle and sticky deprecation.

Then look at supply and demand. With a 3 to 15 month backlog, the supply for new units today is, basically, zero and, with many used items , it's the demand, not intrinsic value, that determines price.

As long as there is demand and buyers, the price for used FGRV's is what the price is .... When there are no longer demand and buyers, the prices will go down.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #58

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I wonder how much the conversation on this site and others raise the expectations of sellers and the asking prices.
My observation has been that whenever a new "Buyer's Guide" for something is produced, it generally results in asking prices increasing. However, the more information there is regarding a product or service, the more efficient the market becomes at reaching a fair, market-clearing price.

Buyers and sellers can make more-informed decisions among alternatives. It reduces the number of opportunities for a buyer to take advantage of a clueless little old lady, or a seller able to take advantage of an uninformed buyer by getting an absurd price.

If you want to see overpriced, how about that real estate listing in San Francisco recently of a small shack on a narrow piece of property listed for $2,000,000!

If it’s too high, don’t buy; if offer is too low, don’t sell. You are free to do either, that’s why it’s called a free market.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #59

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Those of us that have the fiberglass bug tend to place more value in the aesthetics of FG trailers than in the nuts and bolts. I have a close friend who wanted a small, inexpensive camper to tow behind his 4-cyl. Toyota truck. I convinced him that a 13' FG was exactly what he needed. He is not handy and doesn't want to constantly repair things. Just go camping. We are off the beaten track here in Wyoming, so used units are generally very far away. Sold before we can even get there. And "affordable" units have many years and miles of serious wear and tear. Sure, the fiberglass is durable but the lightweight frames are not. And appliances, pumps, heaters, AC's etc all wear out at the same rate as in sticky trailers. After two years, my friend has completely given up this idea and is still camping in the back of his pickup. I feel my advice wasn't right for him and he should have been more open-minded about light-weight non-FG units which he could be enjoying right now. When you are near 70 years old maybe you don't really need a trailer that will last 30-40 years?

That said, I love that I could sell my Bigfoot for at least what I paid for it in less than a week. But I am keeping this one.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #60

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's like buying anything. Sometime you find a good deal.

I know someone who bought a '79 Scamp 13 for $1000, another person who bought a 1995 Casita 16 for $3000 and a 1991 Scamp 16 for $6000.

The range of prices are often wide,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #61

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
My The [QUOTE=David and Nancy;559033]Those of us that have the fiberglass bug tend to place more value in the aesthetics of FG trailers than in the nuts and bolts. I have a close friend who wanted a small, inexpensive camper to tow behind his 4-cyl. Toyota truck. I convinced him that a 13' FG was exactly what he needed. He is not handy and doesn't want to constantly repair things. Just go camping. We are off the beaten track here in Wyoming, so used units are generally very far away. Sold before we can even get there. And "affordable" units have many years and miles of serious wear and tear. Sure, the fiberglass is durable but the lightweight frames are not. And appliances, pumps, heaters, AC's etc all wear out at the same rate as in sticky trailers. After two years, my friend has completely given up this idea and is still camping in the back of his pickup. I feel my advice wasn't right for him and he should have been more open-minded about light-weight non-FG units which he could be enjoying right now. When you are near 70 years old maybe you don't really need a trailer that will last 30-40 years?

Owning many used RV 's in the past . I do own a new Escape now . I have found the refrigerator 's , stove's , pumps to be very good quality , the Shurflo pump in my last used RV was 21 years old never was replaced . My new Shurflo pump died in less then 2 years . The Dometic frig in used RV that was 24 years old only needed a electric unit 40. and frig always worked like a champ even in hot and warm temps . The new Dometic has pretty led lights and has been a struggle to adding , installation , fans inside and out etc. so many fixes to improve it's performance I can't remember them all . My point is new isn't problem free . Old unit's can be a great deal . If do want you can afford but don't disregard older unit's thinking , everything needs replacing and is no longer of any use . Pat
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have noticed that the prices are much higher this year than previous years. Good thing I purchased my six when prices were much lower.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #63

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have noticed that the prices are much higher this year then previous years. Good thing I purchased my six when prices were much lower.
Dave, It's the 'hoarders' driving up the prices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #64

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's like buying anything. Sometime you find a good deal...
But rarely if you're in a hurry!

Patience. And an extra pair of eyes- preferably someone who is not in a hurry or emotionally invested- when inspecting a used trailer.

If you want to hedge your bets, Scamp has the most generous deposit and cancellation policy I'm aware of. It is possible to get in line for a new one and still have many months to continue searching for a used unit without penalty. I think you might still be able to get in line for an early summer delivery 2016.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Dave, It's the 'hoarders' driving up the prices.
Sorry..... Aw who am I kidding?

Got to find my happy place somewhere.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #66

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
For what it's worth, we notice some folks picking up those "35 year oldies, well worn" units (that the original poster mentioned) in hopes of restoring them, but the job overwhelms them. It was very likely limited funds that led to buy at the bottom rung, and perhaps, just perhaps it was the contagion of the FG group thing that urged them on, but when the reality of the task before them settles in some must realize they had not foreseen all that was involved, the skills/tools and time involved in restoration nor the funds required to put the camper back on the road in a semblance of safe and secure condition. Lessons will be learned I suppose. Perhaps some of these projects will then be re-sold and the cycle repeats itself. But some do get restored beautifully. What the percentage is of quality restorations to abandoned/re-sold projects is anyone's guess, I suppose. Neither over paying nor under paying can be stopped in a free market.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #67

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
ok it's like buying and old car 1972 for 6000.00 or 1961 chev 20000.00
?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #68

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
It's simply a matter of supply and demand. If people are willing to pay you for what you have, that is the correct price!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #69

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Understanding basic economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote from Post #51... But I'm seeing trailers that look run-of-the-mill, with 30-40 years of wear and tear, offered for half the cost of a new one! To my mind, such a trailer should bring only 15-20% of new, or less than that if they aren't in "ready to camp" condition with everything working.

It sounds like you are trying to equate FGRV deprecation with vehicle and sticky deprecation.

Then look at supply and demand. With a 3 to 15 month backlog, the supply for new units today is, basically, zero and, with many used items , it's the demand, not intrinsic value, that determines price.

As long as there is demand and buyers, the price for used FGRV's is what the price is .... When there are no longer demand and buyers, the prices will go down.
Well said Bob
Old 11-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #70

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bob every thing on wheels has a frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
First, I can't find any references for what a "G30 Elite" even looks like, but I have never seen a class "C" that was molded fiberglass and also had a V10 engine. Tell us more about that.

Moreover, with but one exception, I don't know of any FGRV's than don't have a frame. That's sorta like "Boneless Chicken".
: so does shank's pony have a frame of sorts or he would just drop to the ground!
Like I said how in heck they came up with a Class C Elite which was one great rental at one time then who knows how many do it your self owners until we got it. I was sorry to let it go but my wife wanted a walk around Queen bed and now she is happy because that is what she got when we bought small Class A. You know a happy wife is a happy life!
Stude