Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #71
Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
It was over 20 years old and beat, and I know I paid too much for my '86 Scamp but was happy to grab it. In the mid-Atlantic states fiberglass trailers are scarce as hens teeth. The rebuilding process never got in the way of the fun. I eventually sold it a few years later and still made a very tidy profit. It's fiberglass, baby!

Myron Leski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #72
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I bought a new 13' 10 years ago. I paid real close to $10,000 for it. Now that looks like a great deal to me. I got the options I wanted, and it was ready to go. As of now that works out to about $1,000 per year. By the time I'm through with it it'll be closer to $300 to $400 per year. Maintenance cost at this time has been less than $100 per year, no major projects or expenses.
I'm happy with my choice. By the way we're camping well over 100 nights per year. During our working years it was 30-40 nights per year.

I wonder how many "project trailers" end up costing more than I paid for new?

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #73
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
I paid $4100 for mine and put another $1000 into it with new wiring, panel, windows, and some general repairs over the years. I've had it since 2005. I consider it a great price for all the fun I've had.
And, I could sell it right now for,,,um, lets see, I'll bet I can get $5100 for it in today's market..
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #74
Name: Shane
Trailer: 1978 trillium 4500
It's about if you want to do the work, older trailers need work(sometimes a lot)new ones don't! I paid $5000 for my 1978 trillium 4500 6 years ago. The trailer was in a barn for 15years and not used, the gel-coat is perfect!! New trillium fully loaded out the door was going to be $27500 Canadian! I think that's crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1448417674.634644.jpg  
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #75
Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
When we bought our 1970 Campster we knew it needed a lot of work.
It was pulled out of the field with a tractor.
Paid our $800 for it.
Old tires were aired up and away we go.
Yes, we made it the 40 miles home.
It was fun to plan and lots of work but so rewarding to see it become a beauty again.
After a summer and fall of pulling old flooring out, new floor in and new top material, new tires and much more we were done!

All that matters is we we enjoyed the process!
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #76
Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
Some of us buy the oldies because we want aspects not available in a new trailer. We specifically wanted the queen sized bed, light weight and pop-top low towing profile we got with our Compact II.
Did we overpay? Considering their rarity, I don't think so. In any case we were happy to get it and happy to put in some labor and about another $1000 to make it just what we wanted.

Some people prefer new. Go figure

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #77
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
I'll share my experience as a seller.

When Cari and I decided to sell Parkliner #35 I did some research and came up with a figure I thought was fair to both buyer and seller. My goal of course was to sell the trailer as we were moving in a different direction...

And this is a big but,
I really wanted any possible buyer to be happy and have no remorse.
I believe that the new owners of PL#35 are truly excited to have her in their family...they sure seemed that way pulling out of our driveway!

May they have safe travels and many great adventures.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #78
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Cost of used.

We bought a 1991 Scamp 16 in 2011 for about $6000 and modified it to fit our travels. I never considered the cost of our mods (before today) but I do know you can't buy a Scamp like ours. Of course the cost of my labor is not included. The reality these cost were spread over 5 years of ownership. Most are labor intensive, not costly for materials.

1. 3 Goodyear Marathons, $360.
2. New cushions and a 2" ball receiver from Scamp, $500.
3. 100 watt solar panel and controller $250.
4. Rear trailer camera, $50.
5. Rear bumper box, 2 fence pole's for storage $60.
6. 5 under trailer storage boxes, $60.
7. Painted bottom and frame, $40.
8. Replaced door lock, $40
9. Added cable and TV jacks, $30.
10. Added doorside support Jack, $30.
11. New curtains, $30.
12. Memory Foam topper, $30
13. Folding table, $30.
14. 5 additional drawers, $70.
15. Overhead dinette cabinet, $50
16. Overhead coach cabinet, $50.
17. Canned Goods slideout Pantry, $30
18. Pots and Pans shelves, $20.
19. 5 AC outlets, 3 with USB chargers, $80.
20. 4 12 Vdc outlets, $40.
21. DC Convertor replaced, $120.
22. 1200 Watt Inverter added, $70.
23. wine rack, spice rack and meds rack. $60.
24. Over rear window and doors shelves, $30.
25. Modified hanging closet for hamper and shelves, $30
26. Replaced all cabinet doors with birch, $50
27. Added cabinet locks, $50.
28. Added Screen door, $60.
29. Added cable and TV outside Jacks, $30.
30. Added 5000 btu air conditioner, $170.
31. Added 20 miscellaneous storage containers, $40.
32. Replaced wrought iron cabinet support $10.
33. Added fans to fridge cooling, $30.
34. Added collapsible clothes line, $20.
35. Added slides to utensil/silverware drawer. $15.
36. Added breakaway switch $30.
37. Added two AC breakers to breaker box. $30.
38. Replaced water fill and hose connector. $40.
39. Replace bulbs with LEDs, $50. New
40. Add 2 LED spots, $40.
50. Replace florescent with LED Bar, $30.
51. Replace Tail lights with LED fixtures. $60.
52. Storage location under fridge for canned goods and beverages, $20
53. Distributed thermometers, inside fridge, inside and outside temp, $30.
54. Tall Kitchen Faucet, $60.
55. Valve in toilet inlet line, $10.
56. Misc. small repairs, sealants and the like $200

Total: about $3250, probably $4000 spent over 5 years of ownership or so including this and that. These are ball park numbers.

There are lots of benefits from upgrading a trailer. You actually get to figure the whole rig out and more importantly make it more useful. Certainly it looks a little worn, like us, but still functioning and making us comfortable.

If you have time, an older rig is fun and educational. In the process you get functionality that's just not available, certainly from Scamp.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #79
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB

If one buys well and markets well, one can indeed get a free trailer! I have been doing this for 18 years. A 1970 13' Scotty, a 1975 15' Shasta, a 1989 16' Casita sd a 1986 avion 30', and a 2007 Casita sd, all sold for more than I paid for them.

Unfortunately my 2006 bigfoot 21fb will probably not sell for what i paid, but surely will not depreciate the way a car or (even worse) a tin over stick camper.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #80
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
My wife is tracking the money being invested in our 1986 16' Scamp rebuild, but I hope to never know!
We will have a Scamp like no other and hopefully it meets our needs and desires.
We looked into the 17' Casita for enough headroom for her and the weight and price were a little high for us.
The Scamp had the headroom, but not the twin beds SWMBO wanted to avoid climbing over in the night.
Our trip through rebuild and modification is nearing (or more nearing) the end with mini split A/C - Heat pump, tankless hot water, electric fridge, twin beds, new 3/4" plywood totally fiberglassed floor, modified frame, front bath, new power converter, and oak cabinets, new axle brakes wheels and tires. Whew!
But you could not buy a camper like ours (perhaps you would not want one either!).
We kept the back half of the frame and shell and the rest is new and redesigned for our desires. Filled in all of the un-needed cutouts and holes and all of the rivets and caps are gone replaced with stainless screws and plywood bulkheads etc.
Is it worth it? Call me back in a few years!
As to the prices in Craigslist I find that many do not exist and are lowball. I have wondered what the purpose of the posting might be other than to get your contact information or dupe someone into buying "Vaportrailers".
When we started looking we tried tracking down lots of these listings and finally bought ours in Mineral Wells TX. for more than we wanted to spend, but we did get a little off the asking price. There were many others wanting to buy the rig as well.
The things are worth what someone is willing to pay.
That being said if it smells musty inside be prepared to replace the floor!
These things can absorb large amounts of time and money when they have been neglected (mostly sitting in the weather with leaking windows and holes.)
Ours will be "better" than new, but still cost less. we could have bought a late model used one for less however.
This one will be finished and paid for completely very soon. (pay as you fix!)
redbarron55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #81
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
I believe it is what you compare the purchase of a used fiberglass egg type trailer with.

Here is an ad that is on the OKC Craigslist today:

1959 FAN Travel Trailer

I'd much rather pay that amount for a restored Scamp, etc.!

Is that too much money? Not if some buyer is willing to pay that amount.

However, I'm not too good of a judge in such matters...I lost over $25,000 in depreciation on my LAST motorhome! Plus several thousands in maintenance costs.

Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #82
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
That's $4999 for a polished out Canned Ham, actually a competitive price in it's marketplace.
That's also about the same price as an average earlier Scamp. But if you see a Restored Scamp for that price, grab it.....
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #83
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Looking at the archives of sales past, it looks like FGRV's have always held their value well, but it seems the wait for new built is getting longer and longer and the sales of used getting shorter and shorter. I think one of the factors that could be driving the current market is the wave of baby boomers reaching retirement age. The buying segment of the market is expanding faster than the manufacturing end can keep up with, and since there were never that many FGRV's manufactured (comparatively speaking), the used sales are doing very well also.
I often wonder what effects the expansion, and eventual contraction, of the "baby boomer" generation will have on various markets. As a tail-end baby boomer I wonder just who will still be working to pay MY Social Security benefits!

A favorite activity of my daughter and I is to watch the 15 year old episodes of Antiques Roadshow where they show the current value compared to the estimate 15 years ago when the originally episode aired. More often than not the item's value has stayed flat or dropped, sometimes dropped a lot. The market for stuff can be tough to forecast, so buy what you want and can afford and be happy.

I am glad I have a trailer that we enjoy and use a lot NOW. Although it is not my idea of what I want to full or long time in after retirement it will sure fill the role if need be. The only fly in the ointment is my daughter has called dibbs on the Scamp for when she grows up. Dad may end up buying a new, or newer rig after all. From the looks of the results of the "how old are you" thread there may be some trailers on the market in the future. Unless those folks pass the trailers down to their kids!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #84
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Byron, Norm and several others have highlighted an important consideration. How much they use the camper over how many years.

If one gets good use at modest maintenance cost for many nights of camping per year or over many years that is a huge factor in actual "cost" or "value". I think bigger factor than the upfront cost. Resale value is the other factor in actual cost for all those nights or years of camping enjoyment.

If the camper cost is $10,000 and you use it often over 10 years and average a couple hundred a year in maintenance that is $100 a month. You arrive at the same place if you buy it for $4,000 and sink $6,000 into fixing and customizing. Or buy it for $4,000 and just maintain it brings the cost down to $50 a month. Don't know about you but I enjoy camper a whole lot more than cable television which costs more per month.

So the only question really would be is not how high is the price but is it worth it.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote