Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #81

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
I believe it is what you compare the purchase of a used fiberglass egg type trailer with.

Here is an ad that is on the OKC Craigslist today:

1959 FAN Travel Trailer

I'd much rather pay that amount for a restored Scamp, etc.!

Is that too much money? Not if some buyer is willing to pay that amount.

However, I'm not too good of a judge in such matters...I lost over $25,000 in depreciation on my LAST motorhome! Plus several thousands in maintenance costs.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #82

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's $4999 for a polished out Canned Ham, actually a competitive price in it's marketplace.
That's also about the same price as an average earlier Scamp. But if you see a Restored Scamp for that price, grab it.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #83

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Looking at the archives of sales past, it looks like FGRV's have always held their value well, but it seems the wait for new built is getting longer and longer and the sales of used getting shorter and shorter. I think one of the factors that could be driving the current market is the wave of baby boomers reaching retirement age. The buying segment of the market is expanding faster than the manufacturing end can keep up with, and since there were never that many FGRV's manufactured (comparatively speaking), the used sales are doing very well also.
I often wonder what effects the expansion, and eventual contraction, of the "baby boomer" generation will have on various markets. As a tail-end baby boomer I wonder just who will still be working to pay MY Social Security benefits!

A favorite activity of my daughter and I is to watch the 15 year old episodes of Antiques Roadshow where they show the current value compared to the estimate 15 years ago when the originally episode aired. More often than not the item's value has stayed flat or dropped, sometimes dropped a lot. The market for stuff can be tough to forecast, so buy what you want and can afford and be happy.

I am glad I have a trailer that we enjoy and use a lot NOW. Although it is not my idea of what I want to full or long time in after retirement it will sure fill the role if need be. The only fly in the ointment is my daughter has called dibbs on the Scamp for when she grows up. Dad may end up buying a new, or newer rig after all. From the looks of the results of the "how old are you" thread there may be some trailers on the market in the future. Unless those folks pass the trailers down to their kids!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #84

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Byron, Norm and several others have highlighted an important consideration. How much they use the camper over how many years.

If one gets good use at modest maintenance cost for many nights of camping per year or over many years that is a huge factor in actual "cost" or "value". I think bigger factor than the upfront cost. Resale value is the other factor in actual cost for all those nights or years of camping enjoyment.

If the camper cost is $10,000 and you use it often over 10 years and average a couple hundred a year in maintenance that is $100 a month. You arrive at the same place if you buy it for $4,000 and sink $6,000 into fixing and customizing. Or buy it for $4,000 and just maintain it brings the cost down to $50 a month. Don't know about you but I enjoy camper a whole lot more than cable television which costs more per month.

So the only question really would be is not how high is the price but is it worth it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #85

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The only time I whince is when I see somebody without a whole of experience, perhaps, travel a long way to buy a trailer that had been listed for months and then re-listed for months, viewed many times and passed over by folks and before finally purchased by an overly excited, unsuspecting buyer, thinking every last FGRV must be awesome, at a horribly exhorbitant price no less and then takes it home with all these great expectations.

Once home, the examination that SHOULD have taken place on site, before handing over all the cash, finally commences. In a few cases, the neglect, rot, rust, damage, frame replacement, etc is overwhelming. The buyer discovers to their chagrin that they are technically and financially in way over their heads. Did they open hatches and check for rot? Did they poke around underneath? Did they know what to look for? Did they not notice the frame? These and many other questions arise and the only answer is that perhaps they allowed the hype and excitement to overrun practical common sense. Perhaps.

Yes, thankfully these sad stories aren't happening everyday but when they do, it is tough to witness. Happens with boats, trucks, and other pleasure vehicles too. We older folks all likely remember the day one of our boys showed up in the yard, having blown their hard earned money on total peice of junk and we knew they weren't gonna escape this bad decision without a life lesson taking it's pound of flesh as tuition.

There are some good, very good guidelines on this site to assist the buyer in SLOWING DOWN and doing due diligence on a FGRV. Hopefully the number of folks helped by these advice checklists and so forth exceeds the number of folks who unfortunately have to learn these things the hard way.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #86

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We bought a usable VENTURA for $1000. Did a few cheap and simple fixes. After several years we sold it for $2000. Then we bought a Trillium for $4000 that several people have offered us $5000 for. Buying new wasn't an option financially.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #87

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hazel, I'd buy a used FG for $1000 any day of the week and twice on Sunday (unless it were a total mess). That's a nice price!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote