USFS campground fee rules variations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The USFS campground we were in this weekend charged for both car and trailer.

Yep, they believed that a single site with a towed trailer and a car = 2 vehicles.

This place is so cheap to start with, it wasn't that big a deal, but I asked them to check as I had never been charged for the trailer.. my understanding is 1 car/truck/ and a towed vehicle such as a trailer count as one.

They said "Well, it's only one if you stay hitched up"

These hosts were very nice and accomidating to our small group and have been very nice to me on my own in the past, so, once again, I didn't push the issue other than asking them to confirm that.

They did ask thier boss who said.. "She is used to State sites.. the USFS sites it's 2". NOT in any other USFS campground I have been in...

Anyone else been charged extra for the trailer in a single?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've never had an extra vehicle charge on a truck/trailer rig in ANY gummint site (USFS, NP/NM, Fish-wildlife, BLM, COE, etc.) but sometimes the camp hosts are not as well-informed as they might be (Two cars is usually not the same as a car and trailer) -- However, many of the gummint CGs are going to contractors to run them and it's possible that different rules have been negotiated -- The hosts should have some sort of rule book prepared by the local office for them...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #3

Registry
this is what the handout says:

Quote:
a SINGLE UNIT is limited to 8 people and 1 vehicle. a single additional vehicle is allowed at a $3 additional fee
Pretty ambigous.

Thier bosses reasoning is that it has a plate.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
I agree with Pete. A car/truck and camp trailer is one unit. I've been able to camp in all 49 continental states over the last 42 years and have never been charged extra for trailer. Sounds fishy to me. I'm going to be near the US Forest office today, I going in to find out what they say. Mike-B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'd be curious to hear the final answer on this one too, because I've heard similar confusions as well. The rule of thumb seems to be if it has a license plate on it, it counts as a 'vehicle', but it seems to vary from campground to campground, and from state to county to federal... So some good honest research with a good honest answer is HEARTILY encouraged! hehe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #6

Registry
Google has not been a friend on this one. The only thing I could find was Utah State parks DO specifically call a car AND trailer 2 vehicles, unless they remain coupled.

I don't think they are being fishy, they are just rule interpretation challenged. They are using strict "logic" over practical logic.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Vehicle is a general term meaning a device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance. A motor vehicle, obviously has to have some sort of propulsion. I think the camp hosts are correct if the term "vehicle" is used. Whether it's fair or not is another story. I suppose folks in tents are getting off 1/2 price in comparison.

I'll be curious to hear what Mike-B finds out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
So, I go to my favorite reservation system, ReserveAmerica.com, and find the following info on a campsite in my favorite campground:

Site Details:

* Site Reserve Type:Site Specific
* Site Type:Fam Rv/Trailer Sgl
* Check-in:2:00 pm
* Check-out:1:00 pm
* Stay Type:Overnight
* Min. # of Peoplemin: 1, max: 8)
* Max. # of Vehicle:1
* Max. Vehicle Length:40
* Driveway Surface:Gravel
* Driveway Entry:Back-In
* Shade:Partial

Now, of course when we arrive at this campsite, they don't make us park our car elsewhere (nor do they make us leave our vehicle and trailer hitched up), even though the maximum number of vehicles is 1.

It's true there are other campgrounds that count the car as one vehicle and the trailer as one vehicle; but at those campgrounds, the number of vehicles allowed for night is 2. (I am thinking this is Corps of Engineers parks, but it might be Texas State Parks.)

That's my $0.02.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #9

Registry
Trailer use more of the resources, and thats what I used to only question the rule, not necessarily complain about it.

I filled my tank 3 times when I was there over the course of a week, and dumped 5 gallons of grey down the toilet almost daily, flushing all the way.

BUT.. I wasn't taking up any more space than anyone else

I only stay hitched if I am positive I will not need the car. Since I was commuting to work, this was not an option.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Maaaaan -- and here I thought the maximum tow capacity of my TV and the type of tire to use was the "quantum physics" of Egg-Rv'n -- now I have to add is my trailer a vehicle or not to the list.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
So a great big ole motorhome counts as one even though they put even more strain on their surroundings? Seems unfair as only trailers and fifth wheels are paying extra.
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I've camped all over the country in USFS campgrounds and never had to pay extra for the trailer. "Extra vehicle" has in the past meant if you had another motor vehicle. Maybe they changed their definitions. Sure doesn't sound right though.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Okay, here's the "site detail" from a favorite Corps of Engineers park:

Site Details

* Site Reserve Type:Nonspecific
* Site Type:Fam Sta Sgl Elec Wat
* Check-in:3:00 pm
* Check-out:2:00 pm
* Stay Type:Overnight
* Min. # of Peoplemin: 1, max: 8)
* Max. # of Vehicle:2
* Max. Vehicle Length:55

* Electric Hook-up:Yes
* Water Hook-up:Yes
* Driveway Surface:Paved
* Driveway Entry:Back-In
* Shade:Y

At this place I know they count the trailer as a vehicle, but, even so, it's included in the price of the campsite... Ditto for a Mo-Home with "dinghy."

Or, at least it was the last time I was there... Hmmmm
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Gotta say this, even though it's a bit off-topic: COE sites are some of the best in the country. With a Golden Age pass they are a wonderful bargain— right down to clean rest rooms, showers, and laundry facilities. They spoil a boondocker outrageously!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Just a thought. I tow my Bigfoot 21' and carry a Honda Trail 90 motorcycle in a rack on the front of my truck. Would I have been charged for three vehicle?

Texas Charles
Charles Richerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
I checked with the USFS office today and was told that a car/truck and trailer combo was not considered any different than a motorhome. Extra vehicle means extra vehicle, ie toad, second car, overnight visitors with car etc. Just came back from the COE park just around the corner from me and was told the same thing. However, I am in the midwest, Table Rock Lake MO. Our interpretation of the rule book may vary from the West Coast. Being a high tourist area, we are very tourist friendly. PS Weather is sunny, 72 degrees, and gas is $2.58 today. Think I'll go camping, with Golden age pass, COE is $8.50/night with E/W. Mike-B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #17

Registry
Thanks for checking that Mike..

I knew I wasn't .

For So. Cal, this place is cheap (10 bones for a single) and with my Golden Access, it's half as cheap, so it isn't a money thing. I would still happily pay it if it WERE the case.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks for checking that Mike..

I knew I wasn't .

For So. Cal, this place is cheap (10 bones for a single) and with my Golden Access, it's half as cheap, so it isn't a money thing. I would still happily pay it if it WERE the case.
Sounds to me like the low level beaurocrats are making it up as they go....

A good buddy of mine refers to them as: "PWP" (peons with power!)
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Sounds like jerks at work.

Every place I've ever been has considered a vehicle to be the tow vehicle. The trailer is not counted as a "vehicle". I routinely meet up with friends and/or relatives who join us overnight at our campsite in National Forests. Most rules say one trailer and one tent per site, and two vehicles. No campground host has ever told us that our trailer is counted as a "vehicle". To do so is ridiculous.

Here is my trailer and truck at Hurricane Campground in Virgnia (National Forest Campground). One trailer and only one vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0318.JPG  
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #20

Registry
Let me clarify that the HOSTS were far from jerks, and they have been questioned on it by others well before we ever did. They actually question it as well, but since they are not a concession (This is one of the few FS campgrounds left that are NOT run by concessionaires) they were only following orders of the district ranger, thier boss.

They DID call thier boss and they did check for me. They were not argumentative, to the contrary, they were very accomidating. Most hosts would have not even bothered.

I am a "regular" there in the winter, and they most certainly would rather have me there than a majority of the "types" they get in on weekends, so they did make an effort to keep me happy. (And they did stretch the rules so that our group would be assured spots in a first come/first serve campground)

I hold nothing against them at all.

I will say tho, that I am sure it is an interpretation error on the rangers part, and he probably is not very flexible.

I am just suprised the FS hasn't called them on it, it would seem the accounting is off. The fees are on your slip, so I am sure it is going in no ones pocket but the gubmints.