Using your REAL name online? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I use my name on all the forums I frequent.
I agree with Donna - referring to people by their screen names is like when dogs talk to each other in cartoons.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #16

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I find it all rather funny. People use made up names and initials instead of names and crazy pictures of themselves but through the archives, camping meets and acquired friendships through the forum we all know who each one of us is and what we really look like.
I've had this name for over 70 years and it has served me well. proud to krrp using it for a while yet
Jake

Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
What to do with Eddy Rabbit, or John Wayne for that matter? Sorry, Donna, couldn't help it.

jack
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Oops! Did I accidentally use my real name?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #19

Name: Karen
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Texas
I too prefer using and seeing the name that one would use in the real world. I don't want my identity and location so obvious that either actual or cyber thieves could find me but I'm
OK with people knowing the area of the country where I'm located.

Karen
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #20

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
shhhh, my name is not really Pam. Its actually Pickupstix66... but I find Pam much easier to pronouce
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #21

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
My wife is very hyper about potential identity theft, so our family members even use fake names on facebook.
This is a real concern to me to the point that I pay TrustedID to help minimize the threat. I reluctantly used my real name here because it was requested, but I go by Sunny other places. I've been to gatherings where people know my real name and call me Sunny anyway because it's the handle they know me by. I love it!

I like a lot of the pseudonyms people go by. For instance, I know roadcam's real name is Jimmy, but I "met" him as roadcam and that's how I think of him and it's what I call him when I reply on his blog.

Of course the abcxyz1669 type pseudonyms spoil the fun.

I also am wary of the new registrations some boards (including this one) are using where you have to provide your real name, birth date, address, phone number, etc. Seems to me if the board were hacked, you have just handed your personal information to the crook who hacks it.

Hope that doesn't sound like sour grapes. But I do deliberately put the wrong birthdate when I'm forced to provide that information anywhere it isn't a legal requirement.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Here's my 2 cents.

I think we have a good compromise:

When this website started we required real names. Not full real names, thus, my user name is Mary F. We thought it would make the site friendlier, and it served us well. But, after about 8 years, we now allow new members to register with a username that is a pseudonym. Their given name displays under the avatar, so trailerdude can also be known by his real name, "Charlie." This really is preferable to distinguishing usernames such Charlie A, Charlie A., Charlie B., etc. Who can remember which Charlie has a dot after his last initial?

As for location - we've always felt it helps the discussions if we all have a general idea what part of the world someone's coming from. Experiences in western U.S. might be very different than eastern Canada, etc. Exact locations aren't necessary; hopefully members have only provided the level of information they're comfortable with.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #23

Delaware
So it's a compromise between telling folks they must toe the line and accepting that no one is naive enuf to do so? Works for me!

jack
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
So this may not be my Real Name?!?
I bet my Mother will be upset.

EZDog
Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Hiding behind a false name seems to me to be rather sick, especially here in a forum about plastic trailers. Here, we never discuss politics, religon, or any other subject that tend to raise people's hackles.
Personally, I am willing to share not only my name, but address,phone number and E-mail address. Paranoia (sp?) does not live here.

PS --- I drink tap water too!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #26

Delaware
In the interest of Harmony (or Melody), my saying that Frederick is "smugly self righteous" was ill-considered (he's a moderator after all) and bad form (shouldn't have said this to anyone) and most probably incorrect that he's the least bit self-righteous or interested in "pseudo-ethics" (whatever that is). I can't edit the offensive phrase and can't delete the entire message so have to eat my words. I apologize to you, Frederick.

jack
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #27

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I asked about this quite a while ago when I noticed it after "the take over". I found it strange to see handles after so many years of seeing "real" names.

I post on boards where there is a mix of real and fake names. Many people go by their pet's names as a couple of them are animal boards. I find that very strange. Over the years I have met many of them in real life. Some of them are ok with the handle (pet name) in real life but some of them get mad about not being called their real name. It's very confusing.

A few years ago I made my location more general because no one knew where Lakewood was!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #28

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Well, real names or not, this board has a wonderful family feel to it. I've been lurking here a long time, and even though I don't have my egg yet, I do feel like I belong.

That's largely due to excellent administration and the quality of the fiberglass community, I think.