Using your REAL name online? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Using your REAL name online?

Anonymous comments end at U-T, SignOn | SignOnSanDiego.com

(Moderator's note: I am also an Administrator for FiberglassRV's Facebook Page.)

I posted this on Facebook.
I find it curious that after 8 years with a real name policy we have relaxed ours, while several of the websites of major newspapers are just now adopting it.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Frederick, Donna here! . I prefer to call people by their name... not some alias or screen name. No one says it has to be a full name or even a first name. But, I just simply can't call a human adult by some of the names I'm seeing pop up on the forums. Really de-personalizes the interactions. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Frederick, I agree with you.
I would also like to know where a person live, not just the Country or state.
John Perry
Lake Isabella, Ca.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I don't have a problem if you change the policy here too. If that happens, we should include both the real name and the current screen name so we can maintain continuity.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I don't have a problem if you change the policy here too. If that happens, we should include both the real name and the current screen name so we can maintain continuity.
Barrie
+1 for me too or like Donna did using just last name first letter.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Well, I'm a relative newcomer here, but have been on the Internet on various forums and bulletin boards for a lot of years, usually using my Green Frog personna, so long in fact, that people don't seem to respond to "Charlie Shaeff." I could see having that information in the profile which is available to all members, but not to lurkers and trolls, and I am just as comfortable having people think of me as "Froggie" and letting it go at that. I agree, however, that location info should include city and state, so we know whether someone is from Portland, Oregon (rain) or Portland, Maine (lobsters) or whether I am from Lynchburg, Virginia (Jerry Falwell) or Lynchburg, Tennessee (Jack Daniels.) I gladly put that information in my tag line so people will have some idea of regional affiliations. JMHO, YMMV!

Charlie the Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
When I first logged in here (seems like EONS ago), I think I remember reading somewhere (in here...) that a 'real' name was preferred for regi/sign up, so I just followed requests, hence, I remain.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm curious if you want a nice boy/girl next door, Jack & Jill name or you want a real name. I use jack rabbit because Jack is my nickname. My real name is Marco Velo and I'm actually from Marshallton DE but Wilmington is what passes for bright lights big city in DE. My childhood buds all called me Speedy but my mother called me Will.

I don't believe for a minute that pseudonymity equates to anonymity. The prime fact we all know about each other is our strong interest in plastic trailers. Isn't that all we need to know and perhaps all that some of us are comfortable knowing (or having known about us)?

You have the budget and time to verify the real (legal) names of all members so that I will be reassured that I'm dealing with a bonified you and you with a bonified me? Does the newspaper? I do agree with Donna D_______ that having to say "Great talking to you again, Pickupstix66!" is passing strange. Names have meanings of course. If I encountered "Shortleg" as a net handle, I'd naturally jump to the thought that he/she is really Gambacorta. Depending on your ethnic heritage you might not. I'd have a small chance of making a good guess but it's really none of my business. None of yours really either as it introduces a smugly self-righteous pseudo-ethics into a forum where acquaintance and sharing is based on WILLINGNESS to participate. There, I've said it to the "face" you present to me. Have a day.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post

I don't believe for a minute that pseudonymity equates to anonymity. The prime fact we all know about each other is our strong interest in plastic trailers. Isn't that all we need to know and perhaps all that some of us are comfortable knowing (or having known about us)?

jack
I totally agree.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
What cracks me up is when people blur out their license plates in photos. Do they blur them out when driving down the road, too?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
I totally agree.
Sherry
Sherry, Jack,
I totally agree. Guess that three of us
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I kinda agree. I like responding to Jack... to Rabbit... no. And yeah, I get the Jack Rabbit bit. All these screen names remind me of someone yelling at me "Hey YOU." I guess I see it as a respectful thing to call people by a human name. When I was a kid, one of my Uncles called me Mickey Mouse because I wore pigtails. I'm no longer a child...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lots of adults prefer Red, slim, sunshine, peaches, Ole Bag <That and Frog make me smile.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If someone gets hacked off with a member & wants to get even, why make it easy? Or if someone is snooping for personal info... same thing. That's my reasoning for having a nom de plume. My wife is very hyper about potential identity theft, so our family members even use fake names on facebook.

Besides, this is the name I used when I DJ'd at the campus radio station (it was considered cool to use a different name, back then at least). So it reminds me of those times.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I use my name on all the forums I frequent.
I agree with Donna - referring to people by their screen names is like when dogs talk to each other in cartoons.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
I find it all rather funny. People use made up names and initials instead of names and crazy pictures of themselves but through the archives, camping meets and acquired friendships through the forum we all know who each one of us is and what we really look like.
I've had this name for over 70 years and it has served me well. proud to krrp using it for a while yet
Jake
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
What to do with Eddy Rabbit, or John Wayne for that matter? Sorry, Donna, couldn't help it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Oops! Did I accidentally use my real name?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
I too prefer using and seeing the name that one would use in the real world. I don't want my identity and location so obvious that either actual or cyber thieves could find me but I'm
OK with people knowing the area of the country where I'm located.

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
shhhh, my name is not really Pam. Its actually Pickupstix66... but I find Pam much easier to pronouce
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote