V6 versus v8 hauling 16' scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Andy, I know nothing about 4 Runners but I can't imagine you'd have any problem power wise towing with a 6 cylinder. We have towed with a 4 cylinder for 7 years and not had a single issue towing all over North America.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Good day Andy. Norm has the key info. As the chart below shows the 4 Runner V6 has the power but that's where the good news ends. Stability when towing is the challenge with these vehicles.

Also see that the v/8 vehicles are not much different than the V6's when it comes to towing abilities/performance. That is why many forum members are having so much success with smaller SUV's.

PS.... We often get asked by folks how our V6 Infiniti can tow our trailer. I explain we have power to spare.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Good day Andy. Norm has the key info. As the chart below shows the 4 Runner V6 has the power but that's where the good news ends. Stability when towing is the challenge with these vehicles.

Also see that the v/8 vehicles are not much different than the V6's when it comes to towing abilities/performance. That is why many forum members are having so much success with smaller SUV's.

PS.... We often get asked by folks how our V6 Infiniti can tow our trailer. I explain we have power to spare.
Would have been nice if they had posted more information for each of the vehicles, as 0-60 mph times do not tell the whole story with respect to whether a vehicle is or is not a good tug.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I tow my Scamp 5er with a Colorado Inline 5 cylinder. It does great. V6 should do perfectly fine. Remember V8 will suck more gas usually depending on the vehicles.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Would have been nice if they had posted more information for each of the vehicles, as 0-60 mph times do not tell the whole story with respect to whether a vehicle is or is not a good tug.
Very, very true. There are many factors that determine tow vehicle performance, reliability, and prowess. More research for any particular vehicle is always an excellent idea. So many folks fall into the trap of just using the "Tow Rating" as a means for purchasing a vehicle.

When you think about it wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturer supplied more information which led them to selecting the tow rating number.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I tow my 13 foot Scamp and my 17 foot Boston Whaler boat with my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with Automatic, 3.5 liter V6. You will have no issues towing with Nissans V6 newer than mine. After 2000 they only got better more power and torque. Mine is 240 HP with the automatic, it tows up mountain passes with ease. My Pathfinder is rated for a 5000 lb tow with the automatic and I think 3500 lb with the stick. The X-Terra is built on the truck Chassis and started with a slightly lower HP but the newer they got the more power Nissan built into them.

The 6 cylinder Toyota will do fine there isn't as big a difference between the 6 and the small v-8 but there is a huge difference in resale price. People don't just let go of them since they paid such a high premium to get one.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
I didn't think the 4 runner was available with a V8. I believe you'd need a sequoia for that
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
I didn't think the 4 runner was available with a V8. I believe you'd need a sequoia for that
4th generation (2003-2009) 4Runner had the V8 option and it was a popular one (2UZ-FE).

5th generation (2010-?) 4Runner only has the V6 motor; it's the same engine & transmission as in the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma. You must pay the Lexus tax if you want a V8 4Runner nowadays, with the Lexus GX 460 being the same platform as the current 4Runner, but having the 4.6L V8 available (1UR-FE).

As far as towing a Scamp, the V6 would do fine. Most folks don't notice much difference in fuel economy when towing lighter loads (comparing the 4th gen 4Runner V6 vs V8), and any of these Toyota drivetrains are top notch (IMO).

I'd consider the following factors as well
-The V8 will struggle a bit less when stressed (ie heavy loads through mountain passes), the V6 will make it just fine however. If you want the extra torque on tap, keep searching for the V8.

-The V8 will allow for heavier towing capacity should you ever want to step up from the Scamp.

-Do you place value in having the V8 power and acceleration in general? (are you still a teenager at heart, with pulses of testosterone resulting from a cool V8 rumble? Do you want to race some guys from stoplights?) If yes, keep searching for the V8.

I'm not trying to steer you in a direction at all, the V6 is a fine motor. In general, I've seen more people on the forums (toyota-4runner.org) that seem to regret a V6 purchase than regretting the V8 purchase.

Also, you mentioned weight on the transmission - 2005-2009 V6 models have the same 5 speed automatic transmissions as the V8. Either of them will do well if taken care of (trans cooler, keeping an eye on temperature, regular flushes). The 4 speed automatic in earlier models is by no means a bad transmission (either are fantastic as far as durability go), but if you are searching, the later 5 speed automatic models are definitely worth having for towing purposes.

Also, some other options (just to muddy the water if you are a Toyota fan like myself), are Toyota Land Cruisers, Lexus GX 470, Lexus LX 470. All of these (in the 2003-2007 [?] era) share very similar drivetrains with great reliability, but at the peril of higher prices and lower fuel economy. I liked the 4Runner size, safety record, power, and towing ability.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It would not be at all foolish to get a V6 4Runner, but you may enjoy and appreciate the V8 more if you tow through some Rocky Mountain passes or up any lengthy grades. It's a choice between getting by ok or having power to spare.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
If I was looking for a reliable off road vehicle or a grocery getter the 4Runner would be on my top 10 list.

But for use as a TV there are so many much better choices.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
If I was looking for a reliable off road vehicle or a grocery getter the 4Runner would be on my top 10 list.

But for use as a TV there are so many much better choices.
Unless of course you value the legions of people who have had the opposite experience
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
A diesel would be my recommendation. Either a 6 or an 8.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #27

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We towed our 16er with a Chrysler Town and Country for a couple of years and it did ok, although you definitely knew the trailer was back there. It was AWD and had the factory tow package and the mileage with the trailer would drop down to 13 mpg. Overdrive would have to always be off and the engine would be turning at quite a clip, limiting top speed. I just completed a 3200 mile trip with a Ford Expedition and couldn't be happier with the change. Granted, we got 12 mpg but it wasn't that far off of what the van used to get. This was also at 75 mph all day long. I really liked the stability that the heavier weight of the Expedition gave me.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
A diesel would be my recommendation. Either a 6 or an 8.
Sailor,
In your opinion, who makes a good 6 cylinder diesel? I have been looking at buying a new diesel truck and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Tags
scamp