V6 versus v8 hauling 16' scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
I didn't think the 4 runner was available with a V8. I believe you'd need a sequoia for that
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
I didn't think the 4 runner was available with a V8. I believe you'd need a sequoia for that
4th generation (2003-2009) 4Runner had the V8 option and it was a popular one (2UZ-FE).

5th generation (2010-?) 4Runner only has the V6 motor; it's the same engine & transmission as in the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma. You must pay the Lexus tax if you want a V8 4Runner nowadays, with the Lexus GX 460 being the same platform as the current 4Runner, but having the 4.6L V8 available (1UR-FE).

As far as towing a Scamp, the V6 would do fine. Most folks don't notice much difference in fuel economy when towing lighter loads (comparing the 4th gen 4Runner V6 vs V8), and any of these Toyota drivetrains are top notch (IMO).

I'd consider the following factors as well
-The V8 will struggle a bit less when stressed (ie heavy loads through mountain passes), the V6 will make it just fine however. If you want the extra torque on tap, keep searching for the V8.

-The V8 will allow for heavier towing capacity should you ever want to step up from the Scamp.

-Do you place value in having the V8 power and acceleration in general? (are you still a teenager at heart, with pulses of testosterone resulting from a cool V8 rumble? Do you want to race some guys from stoplights?) If yes, keep searching for the V8.

I'm not trying to steer you in a direction at all, the V6 is a fine motor. In general, I've seen more people on the forums (toyota-4runner.org) that seem to regret a V6 purchase than regretting the V8 purchase.

Also, you mentioned weight on the transmission - 2005-2009 V6 models have the same 5 speed automatic transmissions as the V8. Either of them will do well if taken care of (trans cooler, keeping an eye on temperature, regular flushes). The 4 speed automatic in earlier models is by no means a bad transmission (either are fantastic as far as durability go), but if you are searching, the later 5 speed automatic models are definitely worth having for towing purposes.

Also, some other options (just to muddy the water if you are a Toyota fan like myself), are Toyota Land Cruisers, Lexus GX 470, Lexus LX 470. All of these (in the 2003-2007 [?] era) share very similar drivetrains with great reliability, but at the peril of higher prices and lower fuel economy. I liked the 4Runner size, safety record, power, and towing ability.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It would not be at all foolish to get a V6 4Runner, but you may enjoy and appreciate the V8 more if you tow through some Rocky Mountain passes or up any lengthy grades. It's a choice between getting by ok or having power to spare.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
If I was looking for a reliable off road vehicle or a grocery getter the 4Runner would be on my top 10 list.

But for use as a TV there are so many much better choices.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
If I was looking for a reliable off road vehicle or a grocery getter the 4Runner would be on my top 10 list.

But for use as a TV there are so many much better choices.
Unless of course you value the legions of people who have had the opposite experience
Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
A diesel would be my recommendation. Either a 6 or an 8.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #27

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We towed our 16er with a Chrysler Town and Country for a couple of years and it did ok, although you definitely knew the trailer was back there. It was AWD and had the factory tow package and the mileage with the trailer would drop down to 13 mpg. Overdrive would have to always be off and the engine would be turning at quite a clip, limiting top speed. I just completed a 3200 mile trip with a Ford Expedition and couldn't be happier with the change. Granted, we got 12 mpg but it wasn't that far off of what the van used to get. This was also at 75 mph all day long. I really liked the stability that the heavier weight of the Expedition gave me.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
A diesel would be my recommendation. Either a 6 or an 8.
Sailor,
In your opinion, who makes a good 6 cylinder diesel? I have been looking at buying a new diesel truck and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Power to spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
It would not be at all foolish to get a V6 4Runner, but you may enjoy and appreciate the V8 more if you tow through some Rocky Mountain passes or up any lengthy grades. It's a choice between getting by ok or having power to spare.
My original TV was a V6, towing a 16 ft. Scamp SD .I found the combination to be "Totally Inadequate" . I now tow my 17 Ft. Casita with a Hemi V8 which I find "Barely Adequate" What one wants , or will accept or needs in a tow vehicle is highly subjective . I recently drove a 3/4 ton diesel powered TV ,towing a 32 ft 5th wheel and found the diesel to be " More than Adequate" . Many vehicles on paper have an adequate tow rating for our intended purpose but in reality do not measure up to what I want in a TV.
Gas mileage is not the only consideration in a TV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #30

Oklahoma
Steve, you're right about the subjectiveness. My HL went from "quite adequate" to "barely adequate", even though it's the same vehicle and it still runs as well as ever.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Sailor,
In your opinion, who makes a good 6 cylinder diesel? I have been looking at buying a new diesel truck and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Detroit, Series 60,... perhaps the most ubiquitous 6CYL diesel of the last quarter century, and certainly up to the task at hand!
Stuffing one into a small SUV might be a bit of a challenge though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #32

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
We towed our 16er with a Chrysler Town and Country for a couple of years and it did ok, although you definitely knew the trailer was back there. It was AWD and had the factory tow package and the mileage with the trailer would drop down to 13 mpg. Overdrive would have to always be off and the engine would be turning at quite a clip, limiting top speed. I just completed a 3200 mile trip with a Ford Expedition and couldn't be happier with the change. Granted, we got 12 mpg but it wasn't that far off of what the van used to get. This was also at 75 mph all day long. I really liked the stability that the heavier weight of the Expedition gave me.
We just completed a couple hundred mile maiden voyage with our “new” 1988 Scamp 16 and although I did not keep gas mileage records I was pleasantly surprised with how little the gauge moved, albeit on a short trip. My old F150 with smallish V8 gets around 16 MPG average when not towing, if it drops to 12 or 13 dragging the Scamp I sure as heck am not down-sizing to a smaller tow rig. The F150 is not a daily driver (I have a Toyota Corolla for that), and has lllloooooonnnnnngggggg since been paid for. For the $600 or so for tag & insurance the old Ford costs me a year I cannot justify upgrading my TV. At least until I retire and buy a NEW Scamp/Casita/Escape/Park Liner/Trillium/etc. (a man has to have a dream).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Detroit, Series 60,... perhaps the most ubiquitous 6CYL diesel of the last quarter century, and certainly up to the task at hand!
Stuffing one into a small SUV might be a bit of a challenge though.
Floyd,
Can you please tell me what truck has the Detroit, series 60 motor? I am trying to learn about diesel trucks for towing RVs.
thanks for your help!
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #34

Oklahoma
Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 now come with a V-M 6 cyl turbodiesel. It has proven itself in Europe for years.

In the used market, it's hard to beat the Dodge/Ram 2500 with Cummins 6 cyl TD. If you're really thrifty, look for one with a manual transmission.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #35
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My original TV was a V6, towing a 16 ft. Scamp SD .I found the combination to be "Totally Inadequate" . I now tow my 17 Ft. Casita with a Hemi V8 which I find "Barely Adequate" What one wants , or will accept or needs in a tow vehicle is highly subjective . I recently drove a 3/4 ton diesel powered TV ,towing a 32 ft 5th wheel and found the diesel to be " More than Adequate" . Many vehicles on paper have an adequate tow rating for our intended purpose but in reality do not measure up to what I want in a TV.
Gas mileage is not the only consideration in a TV
I'm trying to wrap my head around your thought of "what is adequate and what is not adequate. Does it have to do with stability, 0 to 60 times, comfort, perception???
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I absolutely know that it's nearly impossible to tell people what they need for a tow vehicle. As I said in the Honda Pilot/Odyssey thread, many people tow big Airstreams with 6 cylinder Odysseys.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Floyd,
Can you please tell me what truck has the Detroit, series 60 motor? I am trying to learn about diesel trucks for towing RVs.
thanks for your help!
Carl
Sorry Carl, I was being Facetious, That engine is found mainly in semi trucks, fire engines etc.
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #38

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around your thought of "what is adequate and what is not adequate. Does it have to do with stability, 0 to 60 times, comfort, perception???
Steve did say "highly subjective," so I think the answer in this particular case is largely "perception," as it has been lately in my own case. If he had said "objective," I would look to tow ratings and such which are objective measurements.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Towing

One point people forget that if your TV has a load rating of, say, 5000# with a V6, that rating will go down by the difference in weight of the V8. If the V8 is 200# heavier, now your load rating will be 4800#.

I think that people tend to think that if a vehicle has 0-60 of 7 seconds, then they want the same performance with a tow. Many states have slower speed limits for vehicles with trailers. Example is California, 70 mph but towing 55 mph. Even Arizona limits tows to 65 mph from the posted 75.

We tow Homelet, 1840# loaded, quite happily with our 2.5 L, H4 Subaru rated at 2700#. Our old Subaru did fine also and it was rated 2000#. I could only maintain 32mph at one spot of Crow's Nest Highway in BC, but that was only for a few miles.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #40

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
One point people forget that if your TV has a load rating of, say, 5000# with a V6, that rating will go down by the difference in weight of the V8. If the V8 is 200# heavier, now your load rating will be 4800#.
With all due respect, that is an over-broad generalization. Every manufacturer calculates their ratings differently. Extra options' weight may or may not affect tow rating. And in many cases, a V8 will garner a higher tow rating than a V6 in the same vehicle; an example is the current Jeep Grand Cherokee, which picks up about 1000 lb in the tow rating when the V8 is added.

Weight of options is more likely to impact payload rating than tow rating.

Tags
scamp