Vanity Post - Small RV Article Published - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Aliner
Vanity Post - Small RV Article Published

Mods, please delete this is it's an inappropriate post. But I just got an article on Driveway Camping in a Small RV published and I am tickled to death about it!

Here's the article.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Mods, please delete this is it's an inappropriate post. But I just got an article on Driveway Camping in a Small RV published and I am tickled to death about it!

Here's the article.
Congratulations, Sharon! You have reason to be proud and tickled.

Your article explores one of the selling points I used to get my wife to agree to our first travel trailer purchase a few years back. We would go to Michigan every summer to visit our parents and other relatives. The trailer gave us not just a way to get out from underfoot for periods of time (which made everyone's visiting experience more enjoyable), it also let us have a familiar bed to sleep in while en route and while visiting.

Way to go!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Mike, being able to camp at our family's houses has been an incredible experience for the whole family. It really does take all the stress out of visiting.

I read an article one time where someone said it's like being temporary next-door neighbors instead of house guests, and she was right!

Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Nice article Sharon!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Thanks, Lizbeth!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Great article and right on the money. This is the reason I bought a trailer in the first place. My feelings are the same as your's about not disrupting my host family any more than absolutely neccessary. The problem I have is they don't see it that way. They think that I am wierd for staying outside in my mobile motel room. Even though I have been doing this for years, each time I tell them I am coming home, they inform me that I can stay in the house and don't need to bring the trailer. This is a rural area with no zoning restrictions and plenty of room for the trailer. Some folks just don't get it when I tell them that I am perfectly comfortable in my trailer. I also own an Aliner. Hope to see you at the National Rally.
DENNIS ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #7

Dennis, I get that reaction from my older daughter. She is terribly offended if I don't stay inside her house. I have spent some miserable nights in her guest room, and usually forget things I need for the shower which adds to my irritation.

I've tried explaining that we LOVE sleeping in our camper, in our own beds, with our dog and his things, and with all of our stuff right where we want it. But it doesn't make a difference.

I'm sad to say that we don't get to see her as often as we could because of the sleeping arrangement hassle!

However, she's the only one who doesn't understand. Everyone else is thrilled with the arrangement!

I'm not sure about the rally yet. I have some extensive repairs to make and I'm not sure the camper will be ready by then.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I drag my little Marshmallow everywhere.

I was just up at my Niece's and the kids asked how long I was staying. They were all disappointed that it was only for Friday and Saturday nights. Well, if I were bunking in the house with one of the kids or kicking them out of their room, I know I would never have gotten that response. It's nice they like me to stay longer which I generally do.

My Aunt was one who always wanted me in her home. I hated having to take things out of the trailer and then when I was ready to leave put them all back in it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We use to use our 13' Scamp for alot of home visits but now that we have the 5th wheel it won't quite fit into the places we got the 13'.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, if I were bunking in the house with one of the kids or kicking them out of their room, I know I would never have gotten that response. It's nice they like me to stay longer which I generally do.
That's the coolest part of it. You can stay as long as it's fun--not until they get sick of you!

Cyndi, since I have a slight case of 5th wheel envy, I think I wouldn't mind dealing with that problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
When our daughter, or our son, with their broods arrive at the cottage WE move to the trailer as an extra bedroom. They get the bedrooms and we get peace and quiet when ever we want/need it. Besides the grand kids think it's great fun to wake us up at dawn and they think that Mom and Dad don't know.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #12

James, that's a cool twist on driveway camping. Sounds like it is loads of fun for all concerned!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Sharon, I loved your article. Congratulations on being "published". Your article is so right on.

We generally don't visit out of town without our Casita. We are centrally located to my husband's family and have had to find beds for as many as 16 people at our home. Because of the Casita we are able to have a bed for everyone. We take the pod room of course. Terry R
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Terry, thanks so much for your comments on the article. I really am more tickled than anyone can know. I plan a whole string of them... already have another one written, but won't post links here. I just had to share my initial excitement with everyone!

16 people!!! Wow! I haven't had a crowd like that since all my sisters' kids were small!

My sister in Texas wants to buy a van and fix it up for camping. That way we could meet different places. Or we could all circle the wagons at Mom's place!

And another sister in Florida is getting the camping bug from seeing how freely we can go places and still be at "home."

Getting a camper has dramatically changed my life for the better. And when I get my egg, it will be even better.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Sharon

I too enjoy driveway camping. The past few years we have alternated visits with our son and daughter at the holidays.

The picture is of our EggCamper parked in the driveway at our daughter's house in Danville, IL this past Christmas/New Year holiday. And yes, we were living in the camper.

Orlen

Click image for larger version

Name:	EggCamper_Christmas10.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	32811
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #16

That photo warms my heart, Orlen. Being able to get together with distant family at Christmas is the biggest benefit of a small camper, I think.

Here's one of us at my sister's house in Texas this past Christmas.