Vehicle Cameras - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Vehicle Cameras

A number of people use rear and side view cameras to see their ball, what's behind their rig or their vehicle. I want to add a short section on carmeras to the Towing Tips thread. I have one input from RodP and am seeking more. Rod uses a hard wired system. I would be interested in anyone who uses a wireless system as well .

Thanks in advance.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
On our 17 foot Oliver, we had the factory install the Voyager AOM56WXSYS Wireless system. It is no longer available and was actually a hybrid Wired/Wireless system. The camera mounted on the back of the trailer was hardwired to the transmitter mounted on the front of the trailer. It sent a wireless signal to the monitor mounted in the tow.

For the new 22 foot Oliver we've ordered I'm having a Voyager WVOS713 system installed. It has a wireless camera that only requires a power supply from the trailer. As with the older system, the monitor is mounted in the tow.

We only use it as a rear view while traveling or backing up. I can hook our trailer up without help.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I'm not cheap when it comes to my "toys", but over $700 for these things? Really? Wow!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have not owned one of these but have installed several and in general they are very overpriced for the performance they deliver.

I use high quality security cameras and monitors usually and get much better performance and longevity easily when I do.

Almost all security gear is available in a 12vdc version although a lot is 24vdc too so there is little reason to accept the packages sold in the marketplace and get so little in return.

Wireless has a tough time in the Automotive environment and they tend to deliver poor image quality and flickering images.

If running wires then why not just use commercial quality gear?

Actually I don't really even understand the idea of using a camera in general?
I hitch up by myself even if others want to "Help" and it just is not that tough.

I am a young whippersnapper and all but still?
I don't think I would ever use one.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've had my RAV4 for almost five years and I still have no idea where the spare tire ( hanging off the back ) is relative to anything that might be behind me.
I keep a hitch in the receiver to give me an opportunity to stop before pushing the spare into the rear hatch. However, I gather it's not a great idea to use the hitch as a bumper. That can be expensive too.
So, my daughter got me one of those wireless backup cameras. I don't have the nerve to remove the panel from the hatch to install it, so I got an estimate from a shop. They figured 3 hours at $85 an hour and added that the wireless cameras are lousy.
That given, I guess it is going back to Costco.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Norm, I use a wireless camera on our Jeep, as the spare tire is 37" and difficult to see behind. I use a hard wired camera in the rear window of the Scamp, as it gives a good quality picture without the static filled picture the wireless one gives. I can't remember the price I paid for the hard wired one on ebay, but it was less than 40 dollars with shipping, and less than extended mirrors.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I have a wired system from Rear View Safety. Two cameras, one on the RV4 for hitching & the other on the Escape as a rear view mirror. No problems over the last two years.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
I got lucky and bought a wireless one on sale from my neighborhood True value Hardware store. $48 with a $20 rebate. $28 net. A very small monitor, but it's good enough at that price! It came with a new license plate frame which held the camera.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looks like a pretty good product line:

RV Backup Camera System | Motor Homes and RV's | RearViewSafety.com
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A number of people use rear and side view cameras to see their ball, what's behind their rig or their vehicle. I want to add a short section on carmeras to the Towing Tips thread. I have one input from RodP and am seeking more. Rod uses a hard wired system. I would be interested in anyone who uses a wireless system as well .

Thanks in advance.
Well, I did it again. I just wrote a large reply on the rearview camera system with parts listings. pictures, etc. I was logged in but when posting it it said I was logged off - then lost everything written. Next time I will copy before hitting post.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm getting a camera that mounts in the tailgate handle, after backing into a retaining wall that was lower than the back of the truck. Creased the bumper and tailgate, not a happy day! Camera tech has come a long way, avoid the low-end units like Pyle, etc. as they use old camera tech to keep the price down.

The one time I brought my big camper here to the house, I used the security camera mounted on the house and watched it on the tablet inside the truck, gave me a great overview of where the monster was in the driveway. I have 2 huge sugar maples at the end of my driveway, makes backing in a challenge. The realtor who showed us the house hit the tree backing out!

I love the wireless IP cameras, will probably put one in or on the Scamp, could check camp from the phone whenever you wanted.

As far as a camera on the back of the RV, would be handy for backing up alone, I always try to have a ground guide but sometimes you gotta solo.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Information previously posted on this subject:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-55420-2.html
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Information previously posted on this subject:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-55420-2.html
Ray: Thanks for posting.

I used the same monitor and two of the same cameras. I instead mounted my cameras inside the truck shell window and inside the rear window of the Scamp. It really works nice.

I can see the ball/tongue when backing up to connect. It is really nice seeing behind the trailer. I also like the ability to switch between either camera while towing.

I used high quality video cable between the truck and Scamp with the connection at the rear of the truck. I bought a female to female connector (at RadioShack) to use between the two male connections. I searched many places for high quality video cable (wanted a particular length) and found it at Home Depot. I used their 25 foot video low loss composite cable which has three cables in one and heavy duty connectors. I just pulled the cables easily apart and have a spare to boot.

The whole system was under a $100 and works great. The only thing I dislike is not being able to turn off the grid pattern for judging distance. I just like looking out the back! People do amazing things at stop signs occasionally.

Regards.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
I really really really want to avoid running more cables to the to vehicle. Is there ANY wireless camera that works well?

If not, I was thinking of putting a little router in the egg and sticking an IP cam on it. Then I could see it from my phone on the same WiFi network. It'd be easy to run off 12v.

I'd rather a dedicated solution if one was good.
Ken in Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #15

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Philly View Post
I really really really want to avoid running more cables to the to vehicle. Is there ANY wireless camera that works well?

If not, I was thinking of putting a little router in the egg and sticking an IP cam on it. Then I could see it from my phone on the same WiFi network. It'd be easy to run off 12v.

I'd rather a dedicated solution if one was good.
How do you plan to reverse the image with the IP camera?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
How do you plan to reverse the image with the IP camera?
Look at the screen in a mirror?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #17

New York
Registry
Even that would be better than trying to back up with a non reversed image!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
An IP camera should have controls either in the camera itself or in the control app that can reverse the image. I believe some bluetooth rearview mirrors with display have options for that also.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #19

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
We use a Peak wireless camera with our 19' Scamp. (I guess it is technically partly wired since the camera in the back window of the Scamp is wired to the transmitter tucked into the edge of the bed in the front of the Scamp.)

It is really for seeing what is behind us while driving...not for backing up. We find it useful although we do have some static interference issues periodically. All in all it was a relatively inexpensive addition which we find helpful.

Fran in NM
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #20

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Cari & i use one called "HindSight" backup camera. Both the monitor (about the size of a Smartphone. I place the monitor on the rear view mirror with its built in clip) and the night-vision camera are wireless. Each will go about 70 minutes before needing a recharge. I bought a simple ($20) cable so i can charge either one, but it comes with a 12 volt charger with a Y adapter for charging them both at the same time.

The camera has a magnetic mount. I will typically place the camera on the van's rear cargo door (about 11 feet from the cab) and point it downward so i can see the trailer hitch-up in progress. Then, when we are ready to head down the road i take the camera into the trailer (15ft from hitch to bumper) and have a small metal plate attached with velcro to the rear window frame to point outside as a rear view mirror going down the highway. It has worked great so far. And because it is inside, it does not fog up like our last unit which was a license plate cam.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote