ventilation - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 AM   #1
Trailer: No Trailer Yet

In another area there is a thread discussing using a stove for heating. That brought me to write this.

Recently there have been news -not on the internet- reports of people dying of carbon monoxide poisoning while being towed behind ski boats.

The gist of it is there is a "zone" behind the boat that envelopes the skier/boarder/whatever and chokes them out until they fall unconscious and drown. Children in tubes have been particularly prone. NOT ALL BOATS CREATE THIS ZONE.

I understand this is not a new phenomena but only just recognized as a culprit.

Has anyone else kept up on this? If I see any articles I'll post the links.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Hmm... people must be using really short ropes. A tow rope should always be 40-60 feet long, and never shorter. At that distance, you should be well out of any vacuum zone. Forty feet behing my boat, I can't even smell it, which is saying something with my motor.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
News Story

One of my local news channels did a story on this after a local girl died. What she was doing was hanging onto a wooden step on the back of the boat. And the reason they gave that people were dying was because there was no smell because of the water and wind. Know they only showed it with people hanging off the back of the boat, not tubing. I'll check the local stations web site and see if they have any information there.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
If they are dragging from the swim platform, that would make sense. All sorts of exhaust gasses in quantity right there.

« Pets | What was it? »