Very High Bond Tape - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very High Bond Tape

There is an interesting thread in the problem solving section on solar installation. In it members talk about their use of Very High Bond [VHB] Tape. I have no experience with the stuff and since it's rather cold here today I decided to do a little reading. I came across this site. I found the durability PDF at the bottom very interesting. Perhaps others will as well. Raz

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
T...... I found the durability PDF at the bottom very interesting. Perhaps others will as well. Raz

This is an interesting quote.

Another example of VHBTape durability has been generated at the Bendix Automotive
Proving Grounds in Indiana. A full size semi-truck with sleeper cab was constructed with
all exterior panels and doors taped to an underlying frame with VHBTape 4950. After
approximately 300,000 simulated miles on the harsh Durability Track, the VHBTape
bonds remained completely intact. This is particularly impressive in light of the fact that
some mechanically joined and welded parts experienced failures and required repairs for
the test to continue.

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Name: Herschel AKA BAMA & Pachyderm Posse
Trailer: 2010 Casita LD 17 , tug 2015 Ram Hemi 5.7 395 hp 410 lbs T
arched is where to get vhb phone # and part # all the vhb is used for different appellations this is best for fiberglass , i did the liberty twin bed mod with 3 years ago . still good .
Attached Thumbnails
BAMA & Pachyderm Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Uline! I wouldn't have guessed. For some reason I get catalogs from them every year, and just pitch them. Nice to know...
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
One thing occurred to me concerning folks using this stuff to hold down solar panels on top of their trailer. Every time I drill a hole in gel coated fiberglass the gelcoat lifts (tear out?) because of the screw. I wonder if the gelcoat could loosen and separate under the tape. The weakest link if you will. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Today I wiped the dust off my roof top solar panels, as most know held on with Scotch exterior high bond strength tape. I'm not sure where the variety we used fits in the 'sticktion' range of 3M products but our panels have been on for since 2011 thru all kinds of heat and weather and are just as stuck as the first day.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote